Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

My 393 shopping list

7K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Hillbillyrob76 
#1 ·
I've got everything but cylinder head gaskets now :chili:

virgin 4.00 bore F4TE block, I picked up last fall

Ford Racing stroker crank M-6303-A385
3.85 stroke nodular iron, just got it (new in box) off ebay ($150 less than retail)

Keith Black 364 Hypereutectic pistons. -22cc dish with Compression Distance of 1.608" (these use full floating piston pins)
This will put compression around 9.5:1

Stock 5.8L 5.956 connection rods (need to machine them for full floating piston pins)

GT40P cylinder heads.
They are not high horsepower heads for this large displacement,
but they will make more low end torque than most other heads.
Plus they are paid for ;)

I had to replace the valve springs to match my cam, crane part # 44308-1

Crane Power Max 2020 roller cam 444211.
Not sure how it compares to a stock 5.0L Mustang roller cam for low end torque.
But it's paid for ;)

Crane link bar lifters. These are better quality than the spider & dog bone style.
I don't need them with the roller block, but they are paid for ;)

Stock 7.567" pushrods Ford Racing M-6565-L58

Ford Racing M-6564-B351 roller rockers 1.6:1

Ford Motorsport valve covers, got them from Gacknar almost 2 years ago.

Edelbrock 3884 & 3822 intakes

75mm Throttle Body. It was a waist of time, but it's paid for ;)

95mm PMAS Velocity MAF sensor

Ford Racing headers, I had to rebuild the passanger side for the GT40P spark plug angle

Super Motor Mounts from JBG

See less See more
#14 ·
i still think its utterly amazing you have a mint roller ready block.
Sorry...its been a while since i caught a good 393 build....makes me want to go work on mine :toothless
lookin great so far :thumbup
:goodfinge :beer
What kind of power are you expecting out of it?
More than my current 351 :shrug it would be nice to have more than 400ft/lb
What fuel injectors you gonna run?
Not sure yet, I'm running 24's now, but I might switch to 30's
Got a tweecer or something similar for it?
Yep, I'm using SCT Advantage software right now. But i'm looking at switching to Sniper tuning software. I'm using an 1996 OBD-2 E150 computer, so I can flash the ECM by the DataLink connector under the dash ;)
Any plans for bigger heads in the future? Are your gt-40s stock or worked any?
My GT40P heads have stock with the exception of valve springs. Like I said below; I'll get some 180cc heads in a couple years after I refill my piggy bank
looks sweet. How did you figure out everything you needed for such a good build?
I've been working in the Ford aftermarket for the last 5 years. I do lots of research and reading for products and tech suport. This build is about making low end torque for heavy vehicles, not high end horsepower for light weight cars.

#12 ·
i still think its utterly amazing you have a mint roller ready block.

What kind of power are you expecting out of it?

What fuel injectors you gonna run? Got a tweecer or something similar for it?

Any plans for bigger heads in the future? Are your gt-40s stock or worked any?

Sorry...its been a while since i caught a good 393 build....makes me want to go work on mine :toothless

lookin great so far :thumbup

#16 ·
he is running a 4r70w tranny so i believe thats why hes got got the obd-II setup currently

#23 ·
HAHAHA thanks ryan...you did the research for me! lol

im building nearly an identical setup... f4te block, gt40 heads and low CR...
nice work on the pistons... ive been looking for those exact ones... ill also most likely be using the gt40p's and mustang uppers

nice work... cant wait to see the build

#30 ·
Go away hijacker! This is my thread, go start your own :twak
maybe they could give you a better answer... i really dont know... i think the design is for 1.6's... and everything revs better w/ 1.6's???? i dunno...
1.7's are a band-aid to cover up the wrong cam. If you get the right cam for your combo 1.6's are best for the small block ford :doh0715:

Ryan:
Suggest when you do the build to get an adjustable pushrod and carefully check your piston/valve clearance (both intake/exhaust).
um, I already did that back in June 2005, so I don't need to re-do that work ;)
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42281
It measured out to 7.56*, funny how stock Ford parts work so well together :thumbup

i agree that you should check it. But from my experience those are the right pushrods to use.
Didn't you copy me? :histerica

#27 ·
ahhahaa nice man...

maybe they could give you a better answer... i really dont know... i think the design is for 1.6's... and everything revs better w/ 1.6's???? i dunno...

at least you have a sense of humor:D

#28 ·

Ryan:

Suggest when you do the build to get an adjustable pushrod and carefully check your piston/valve clearance (both intake/exhaust).

#29 ·

Ryan:

i agree that you should check it. But from my experience those are the right pushrods to use.

#33 ·
are the stock rods forged? I seemed to remeber them being forged...

I always saw you as a forged piston guy too. I ended up buying hypers for my engine thou, so i can't say much

I don't guess you plan on running nitrous or boosting this motor? :toothless

But seriously Hypereutectic pistons are the way to go if your not running forced induction or spraying. Still pretty strong, but a heck of a lot cheaper than forged. They can handle everything fine in a motor built for our trucks.

#34 ·
This build should be strong enough for 500 HP. Which could easily handle 6PSI (maybe more) of boost or a 100 shot of nitrous to get to that power goal.

My guess is the stock rods are cast nodular iron. These parts are all equal in power ability. If I wanted more I would need a Forged crankshaft, rods & pistons. With the forged internals and better cylinder heads the stock F4TE block is good to 700HP. After that you meed big money.

#35 ·
looking good fireguy... im getting ready to order pistons... im considering getting something with less dish now... the BKO isnt a DD anymore... so i may try to find something to shoot for 10.5:1 CR ... maybe ill use them and deck the block

my blocks getting cam bearings, a hot tank, and a bore... for 185... good deal eh? a shop nearby quoted me $800 for that^^^^ .... anyways... some buddies are hooking me up...

whatcha payin for machine work?

btw... whats the silver plug in the dizzy for?

dc

#36 ·
silver plug is for an oil pump primer...the actual priming rod slides down the hole in the center

DC, might want to get them to checkout the deck, make sure its flat. i thought mine was, but it was pretty far off....had to have it deck down a good bit....can't recall right off hand, but with that and my afr 185s, i had to look around a bit for the right piston to get the 10.5:1 compression i wanted. ill try to look around and see if i can find the specs (i know i should have that stuff memorized)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.