Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Bronco 300-6 with gm tbi, sm435, np 208, 8.8 lsd ,44 ttb with lsd
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i picked this old bull nose up for $1200 back in January with the plans of a weekend wheeler since we just had our 3rd child and 3 kids don't fit in the back of an Jeep CJ. And i have been slowly plugging away it with my oldest daughter who is 9. And she has name it "the Bronc". Its got the good 300-6 in it and the sm435 trans.

Since bringing it home i have pretty much got all of the wiring fixed minus on plug for the tail light harness which im going to end up cutting off and using a merti-pack 280 connector on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far i have put a 2 inch lift in the front it and gotten a set of 35s. Currently im in the middle of my rear disk brake swap. its a Ruffstuff Specialties 9 inch weld on kit. I went with the E-brake calipers. Im waiting for my rear brake hose to show up so i can finish it up

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I decided that i hate V belts and swapped in serpentine belt set up off of a 90 truck on it. i also swapped in a sag pump from a van into it at the same time. but when i did this i found out that the radiators are different between broncos that have A/C and those that dont

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i looked for about 2 weeks for a radiator before i asked on here for help. then was pointed in the direction of a small block chevy radiator since the inlet and outlet are different for 300-6 trucks vs the v8 trucks. i found that goes into a k5 blazer that would fit. it was about 2 inches shorter than the core suppert. so i made new mounts and threw it in. (thanks BigBlue94)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
then there is the rust. and boy does this thing have it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
here she is with the lift and tires on it. and a picture of gm tbi hanesses im thinning out and repinning for it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i also removed the feed back carb junk since the ecm was dead. i went back with a dura spark distributor and a gm HEI module. it runs and starts so much better now. i went with the dura spark because when i put the efi on it i will need to use the dura spark distributor with the advances locked out. so i think this brings me up too current times. there is some rust repair that has been dont that i dont have pictures of. i have also pulled the full hvac system out of an 85 f150 that i will be swapping in because im to fat not to have ac lol

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
854 Posts
That's a lot of thin, rusted metal on the floors by the seat belt. I just did a bunch of similar repairs on my 86, & it looks like you know what you're doing, so I'm sure it will turn out just fine. I used a new rear sill on mine, but I have seen people use a 3x5 sq steel tube as well, which gives you a nice 5" flat to weld the bed floor to. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a lot of thin, rusted metal on the floors by the seat belt. I just did a bunch of similar repairs on my 86, & it looks like you know what you're doing, so I'm sure it will turn out just fine. I used a new rear sill on mine, but I have seen people use a 3x5 sq steel tube as well, which gives you a nice 5" flat to weld the bed floor to. Keep up the good work!
im putting a cage in it to help strengthen the body back up. i went with 2x6 in the back of it because its what i had at the house. im also planning on 5 point harnesses for the front two seats because the lower seat belt mount is gone and i have no idea what it looks like or how the OEM had it. its defiantly a labor of love on this one. but its next stop was the junkyard if i didnt buy it.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,964 Posts
Woah thats a lot of sheetmetal repair.

Im interested in that TBI stuff- so youre going to swap a GM TBI onto the 300? Does the TB just swap in place of the carb or are there aftermarket adapters or something? Ive never heard of doing this before, but it actually sounds like a pretty easy/clever way to get EFI.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woah thats a lot of sheetmetal repair.

Im interested in that TBI stuff- so youre going to swap a GM TBI onto the 300? Does the TB just swap in place of the carb or are there aftermarket adapters or something? Ive never heard of doing this before, but it actually sounds like a pretty easy/clever way to get EFI.
i will need to buy a one barrel to tbi adapter and the lock out the mechanical advance in the dura spark distributor and let the ecm control both fuel and timing. if you want to do some reading on it i recommend binderpanet.com. they have a whole sub forum for putting gm tbi on things it never came. including a 1200cc minicooper. its about as simple as system as you can get. and a lot cheaper the the aftermarket efi options on the market. i have put it on a few amc motors for guys in the Jeep club i used to run with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
well needed up take the day of work. so i worked on the bronco. i pulled the radiator core support to repair it. but its toast and i just ordered a new on instead. but in the process of pulling it i poked a hole in the brand new aluminum radiator while i was at it. :mad: but i should be able to solder it back up. so i figured while everything was out of my way and i was waiting for parts id start on my winch bumper. the base plate is a piece 8 inch channel iron and the side plates are 3/8 thick. i figured over killing it was a good idea being i have a 15000 pound hydraulic winch i picked up cheap from a buddy over a year ago.

edit: fixed the radiator. soldered the hole closed. and also go a call that my cage will be here monday

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got the new core support put in and some work done on the bumper this weekend. i used 1/8 inch plate to cover the center section. the outer parts will be 1/4 inch plate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts