Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys don't know if yall remember when I posted a pic when I got my $700 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Well I've done a little bit to it since July. I've been driving it daily since Jan. and its doing good. Here's some poser pics form today:

Set-up: Front: 3" Rancho coils/control arms and 2" spacer
Rear: 2" AAL/2" block(actually 5.5" over stock)
Pro Comp ES3000 shocks and stabilizer
Sitting on 31x10.50 radial ATs w/ 15x8 cragar soft 8s 4" BS

Made a D-ring shackle receiver out of 2" and 1 1/2" .250 wall tubing. D-ring is 1 1/8" pin. 8 1/2 ton load capacity

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I knew you couldn't stay away from here.

Looks good man. Keep up the work.

Any further plans yet.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
I know nothing about trucks that are different than ours.

How does their 4x4 work without hubs?

$700 is an extremely good deal. I actually wouldn't mind owning one like that for the right price.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts

IIRC they use CAD axles. some kind of screwed up vaccum/electric operated engagement system

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magnumpi your right its some screwed up vaccuum crap. The transfer case linkage is screwed up right now hopefuly going to get it fixed soon.

Aubronco yeah I'm here from time to time just trying to stay caught up with yall and find more stuff for my XJ. Seen your slider thread while back they look like mine. Good price to.

I'm saving for some 33s for my BKO then I'm going to put my 32" Pro Comps on the jeep. Should look pretty BA.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Are you sure it's the linkage thats screwed and that you haven't snapped a chain? My XJ transfer case was chain driven and they both snapped one after the other in a mud hole. Which prompted my purchase of my bronco.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be Joe just kinda not wanting to check it out because I know itll be spending more money LOL. But I got a buddy with 2 XJs he's using for parts that I can swap mine out if I need to.

I'm getting about 15 MPG in this which is a little better than my 11 with the BKO. Why I want 33s IDK its an obsesion...

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Cool well keep us updated. I have a few friends with them and they wheel the crap out of them. Thanks for the compliment on my sliders haven't had a chance to test them out yet but hopefully that will come soon.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I hear you AU. I aint wheeled mine in forever. I rode through some dirt roads at my hunting club the other day I forgot how good it felt just being off road in her. Threw it in 4 hi and snapped a few pics flexin on a mound or dirt. Made me feel good anyway. Man I need new tires.....:banghead

·
Registered
9,130 Posts

$700 is an extremely good deal. I actually wouldn't mind owning one like that for the right price.
In the case of my TJ, it doesn't have dick...the stuff just spins all the time (basically, hubs locked 24/7) :D

Nice XJ. I just spent all weekend wrenching on my Rubi... :beer

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I spend most of my free time on my XJ. Luckily my BKO is doing good minus a small power steering fluid leak. I'm saving up for 33x12.50 Bighorns in bout 2 weeks. then my cherokee will have the Pro Comps on it. Should look bad a!...Thanks for all yalls comments.

On the Bronco side of things I'm going to try to get most of the way through with my sliders tomorrow after work one side is done and the driver's side I just need to figure out exactly where I'm mounting them and drill the holes.

If I get pics I'll trow them on the fabrication forum.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
i like how it sits, very nice, even with the at's...:beer

hopper, what exactly were you workin on?

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Changed virtually every fluid and put new plugs in it. It had a little water in the front diff, and that made me feel a little sick...no more wetness for the Rubi :toothless

It's begging for an LS1 and long arms... :banghead

I have to say, I enjoy the hell outta the Rubi. So much that I'm thinking of selling off my SAS parts to lift it instead, but I dunno if that'll happen. TJ lifts are ridiculously expensive...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the Rubis. There's so much you can do with them. My buddy has an 06 and his warranty is almost up. Were throwing a 3.5" RE and maybe a 1" BL with some 33s or 34s. Was thinking 6.5" LA until I found out all the rubi 44s are is dana 30/35 housings and shafts just with a 44 R&P. That sucks. Still got lockers though.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
I love the Rubis. There's so much you can do with them. My buddy has an 06 and his warranty is almost up. Were throwing a 3.5" RE and maybe a 1" BL with some 33s or 34s. Was thinking 6.5" LA until I found out all the rubi 44s are is dana 30/35 housings and shafts just with a 44 R&P. That sucks. Still got lockers though.
Yes.....the infamous Dana 44 "lite" I didn't know they were that crappy thou...

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
broncofire75 said:
Was thinking 6.5" LA until I found out all the rubi 44s are is dana 30/35 housings and shafts just with a 44 R&P. That sucks.
Yep, I was disappointed when I first learned that (long before I owned a Rubi). The axles are plenty strong for 35" tires, but I wouldn't trust em with any more than that if you have to drive home from the trails. Lots of people have run 37s with them with alloy shafts, but I like to play it safe :toothless

I want a 3.5" RE lift, but $1200+ (by the time you buy shocks, tracbars, CV D-shaft) for a short arm lift is crazy. Then again, I dunno if I really want to cut/weld the Clayton long arm system into something I'm still making payments on...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My buddy argued it with me today LOL. He was saying that the Dana 30/35s have 29 sline axles and the rubi 44s have 31 but if I'm not mistaking the true 44s have the 31 spline axles. I know for sure that the 30 and Rubi 44 has the same housing. and from what I read they have the same shafts also. Just read it in Jeepforum.com a day or 2 ago. Might look it up....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not my money and he wants a good kit. He drives a semi 5-7 days a week so that means I get to drive it LOL. He doesn't want to fool with regearing but wants to clear his tires better then the 1/2" clearance most TJ owners have around here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts