Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 1840 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,821
I'm going to lay in a sheet of 3/4 plywood in the bed area. Then screw it down to the body. Then lay the carpet over it. Then I can screw the amp rack down. I will also remove the sub speaker, then screw the sub box down with half a dozen screws to the board. Then reinstall the speaker. If anyone wants to steal this one it isnt going to be easy. And it will keep everything from becoming a projectile in case of an accident.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,822
Tonight I'm going to try and finish up securing and routing the wiring for the stereo. I might even have time to cut and fit my sheet of plywood. I'm so ready to finish this project.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,823
I got alot done tonight. Finished up the tailgate wiring. Then we cleaned all the bullshit out of the back and put down the plywood. Mounted up the power and ground block. It doesn't sound like alot but it feels like alot.

We ran into problems with the tailgate window wiring. I'm getting power at the new connector but I'm getting no power at the motor connector. I'm going to have to pull that harness back out completely and check each connection and splice to be sure in getting continuity. That's a weekend job.

Next I have to run my auxiliary tailgate power wire up to the power distribution block. Then I can put the carpet sil plate back in to hold the carpet down. Then I can mount the sub cabinet and power amp rack and connect it all up. I should be able to finish all that by tomorrow night. I'm going to continue tonight securing the power leads to the side wall and remove the old speaker wire.
Then I will have to wait for the head unit support frame to come in to finish installing the head unit and it should be functional.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,824
That's about where the rack will mount. I cant screw it down permanently until I set the amp gains and crossover. Maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,825 (Edited)
My head unit support cage came in and I got the head unit installed. Then I pulled out the sub box and cleaned it up from sitting in the garage for 3 years. Then I removed the speaker so I can wire it up to the terminals. Then I drilled and started all my hold down screws. I dont think it's going anywhere.

I forgot how big and heavy this speaker is.

One step closer. I need 6 feet of 1/0 to get power from the D block to the amp D block. Then it will be ready for a test fire.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,826
I hate when I buy something thinking its right, but then 3 or 4 years later when I go to put it in its not right. Well, the RCA Cables I got years ago are too damn short.(Face Plant). So I ordered a new set. Guess it will be next weekend before I get this damn thing working. Its not like I can go to a store and buy the RCA cables, no that would be too convenient. Stores dont actually carry anything you need anymore, and if by some miracle they actually did have them, it would be 4 times the price of ordering it online. Case in point, The only RCA cables Best buy carries that are long enough are $79 for 2. I got a 6 channel set for $32 on amazon, compared to $240 at best buy for the same thing. And people wonder why there arent any electronic stores anymore. End of Rant.

Otherwise, I got the power hooked up to the amps. My head unit comes on now. I would connect it up and set the gains, but the RCA cables are too short.I got the aux Power run to the distribution block. Something else I have to wait on. Hopefully I can get everything done tomorrow except the RCA cables. I still need to figure out whats wrong with my Tailgate Window Wiring. Hopefully thats an easy fix.

Getting this beast of a sub box in the truck in the right spot is going to be no easy chore either. Damn thing weighs 100 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,828
I checked, Horribly expensive, but not as bad as Worst Buy

Im going to try and move the amp rack as far forward as possible and try to get the gains set.
Maybe hook up the speakers and test it out.
Just depends on how I feel today.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,829
Its almost embarrassing how little I got done on the bronco today. Basically I finished running the Aux Power wire for the tailgate motor, then screwed down the carpet hold down strip across the back. Then I connected up the speaker wires to the amp, only to find I need about 15 more feet of wire. Now that the carpet is secured I can heave the sub cabinet into the back and screw it down. Hopefully I can get that done tonight.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,830
I finally got the sub box in and screwed down. Now I just have to manhandle the 60 pound speaker into position and bolt it down. Its definitely going to be challenging.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,831
I gave window tinting a try today. Got the passenger window done. That was enough to tell me that I have no business doing window tint. LOL IT came out OK but I cant get all the bubbles out. The squeegee is difficult to master. Im pressing so hard at times I feel like its scratching the film. Oh well. Ive been wanting to give it a shot. Now I will be saving up to let someone else do it.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,246 Posts
Did you keep spraying it with water while using the squeegee?

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,833 (Edited)
I was yes. I removed the window to make it easier to work. Then I soaked the window, then applied the film. It went down pretty good after working it a while. I soaked the inside to try to help the squeegee. I found if I just kept working it it got better but I wasn't able to get everything. Someone on Facebook said to lightly use the heat gun over it. I might try that on the next one before I trim it all out. It looks ok, but I need to clean the window more. I scrubbed it with windex and 0000 steel wool. Then wiped it down. Then sprayed it again and wiped it down. I'm going to do that 4 times on the next window and wipe it really good with the lint free wipe.

·
36,246 Posts
A little dawn soap in your spray bottle will work wonders to keep it moving until you get the air out and it only helps to stick when it dries out. Not a lot... just a little to help smooth things over. My ex was pretty good at that and she learned in the heat of Peurto Rican summers. That was one of the tricks she told me about.
I've be very careful with any heat gun application. Without an escape for the air to get out of... all that can do is tighten the film, possibly even introduce a wrinkle.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,835
I tried the heat gun on the vent window, it didn't go well, lol. At this point I'm thinking about doing the drivers side and just take what I get. Eventually ill have it redone. I'm going to let someone else do the rear window though. The bad thing is, I don't remember what % tint I got. I think it's the lowest you can legally put up front in Florida, but no one pays attention to that down here. I see cars every day with 5% all the way around including the windshield. I guess cops got more important things to do here than bother with tint.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,836
My new rca cables came in last night. I pulled the short set out and got the new set in. Man I really love these signal cables. If you are looking for a excellent set of 6 channel rca cables, I highly recommend these. Stinger SI4620 6-Channel 4000 Series RCA Interconnect Cables

They come as a flat cable, molded together in a ribbon. They are especially good at slipping thru the tight recess in the dash. The flat ribbon cable is very easy to hide under the carpet. Each cable pair has a molded label showing S/F/R for sub, front, rear on each end. The rca connectors also have red markings on one connector and black on the other. So no more confusion about which cable goes to what. The overall quality is excellent.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,837
I also got in a couple of 2 pole weatherpak connectors. I'm using 1 set for the aux tailgate window power. I got that mostly configured last night. I just need to finish pulling the tg harness back out for testing. Then I can find a suitable place to mount the relays.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,838
I pulled out the tailgate wiring harness today to test it and everything works perfectly. So i must have connection issues with the weather pak connector. More testing is required.

Stereo wiring is coming along. I got all the speaker wires run, I just need to hide them. Then I can reposition the sub cabinet and install the speaker and it should be ready for a test run.

Attachments

·
36,246 Posts
So... I think you said you weren't interested anymore but have you re-considered the free-standing platform to cover and protect your new setup? Mine appears to be an organizational aid, as well as an excellent theft deterrent but I'm also not often exposed to those kinds of scenario's.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,840
yea, I have a completely different living situation now. I dont live in the city anymore, im way out in the country on an acre, and my entire property is fenced. So Im not really concerned with theft as much as I used to be. The only places I go are home and work, so neither is a significant threat.

1821 - 1840 of 1840 Posts