1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 XL with EFI 5.8 (Automatic)
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I attached a smog test here: Done in California:

Here is a video of what happens:

As you can see on the form it failed some of the smog stuff but I fixed it. For the fuel cap, I changed it out, the EVAP system, I brought down the gas tank and saw the hose that leads to the evap was disconnected, so I connected it and hope that fixed that issue. All i have left is the ignition timing. the note left by the tech says FB17. Not sure what that means but the shop i took it to under a repair program states that its already advanced 17 degrees ahead. Not sure what to do or how to fix it.

As for the video, as you can see on the shifter, when i go from drive to reverse, you can see the idle RPMS go from 700-1k to under 500, almost reaching 200 RPM in one of the cases. It has previously shut off on me. It occurs more on the reverse but sometimes it happens in drive. If i were to keep track I would say 60 out of 100 when i shift to reverse, it happens and maybe 15/100 times when shifting to drive. That being said, it only happens when i am at a full stop. Sometimes the check engine light comes on so I think thats why it failed :/

Hopefully I can get some help!

Edit: I forgot to mention, it does not delay when shifting between Drive and Reverse.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, your timing should be set to 10*BTDC. 17* is way too advanced. The shop should have fixed that for you. I'd take it back to them and ask them why they didn't fix it. If they have a timing light, it takes about 2 minutes to fix. Loosen the 1/2" bolt that holds down the distributor and spin the the dizzy until it hits 10* with the timing light. Retighten the bolt. Done.

As far as your other problems, I'd start with checking your transmission fluid level. Check it when warmed up and parked on level ground with the engine idling in park.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,785 Posts
My first guess is you still have a vacuum leak. It is very common for your engine to die off like that when you have a vacuum leak.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Super Moderator
27,382 Posts
Yo AstroAussie,
E4OD Trans Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Is it flashing while driving?
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....
Tips :
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual and; release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO and KOER.

A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS⚠

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.

Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 incl jowens126 's HVAC Control Panel info @ Help with dtc codes and idle

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Well, your timing should be set to 10*BTDC. 17* is way too advanced. The shop should have fixed that for you. I'd take it back to them and ask them why they didn't fix it. If they have a timing light, it takes about 2 minutes to fix. Loosen the 1/2" bolt that holds down the distributor and spin the the dizzy until it hits 10* with the timing light. Retighten the bolt. Done.

As far as your other problems, I'd start with checking your transmission fluid level. Check it when warmed up and parked on level ground with the engine idling in park.
You missed an important step, remove the SPOUT plug, then set the timing at 10°. Then tighten the distributor hold down and replace the SPOUT plug.

If the transmission filter has fallen off the tube inside the transmission, folks here have seen the stalling issue you are experiencing. A magnetic clip is available to prevent the filter from dropping down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You missed an important step, remove the SPOUT plug, then set the timing at 10°. Then tighten the distributor hold down and replace the SPOUT plug.

If the transmission filter has fallen off the tube inside the transmission, folks here have seen the stalling issue you are experiencing. A magnetic clip is available to prevent the filter from dropping down.
I don't have a vacuum connection but i know what you are referring to! So I skip this step on mine as mine is EFI, or if it is on the EFI system do you have a picture of what you mean?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yo AstroAussie,
E4OD Trans Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Is it flashing while driving?
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....
Tips :
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual and; release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO and KOER.

A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS⚠

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.

Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 incl jowens126 's HVAC Control Panel info @ Help with dtc codes and idle
The only light I have flashing on my dash is the airbag one since I am missing mine lol. No other lights. Also Where is the TCIL and the overdrive on/off switch? I have an automatic XLT with 4x4 but no over drive switch at all.

I'll be getting a code reader since I plan to keep this truck for a while.

Lastly, damn that's a long post lol. I'll see if i can avoid it by finding something easier to fix thats hopefully the issue if not then ill crack a cold one and start reading :geek:

·
Super Moderator
27,382 Posts
The only light I have flashing on my dash is the airbag one since I am missing mine lol. No other lights. Also Where is the TCIL and the overdrive on/off switch? I have an automatic XLT with 4x4 but no over drive switch at all.

I'll be getting a code reader since I plan to keep this truck for a while.

Lastly, damn that's a long post lol. I'll see if i can avoid it by finding something easier to fix thats hopefully the issue if not then ill crack a cold one and start reading :geek:
Yo,

OD light and push button switch are at #2

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I don't have a vacuum connection but i know what you are referring to! So I skip this step on mine as mine is EFI, or if it is on the EFI system do you have a picture of what you mean?
The SPOUT is a small gray plug that sits in the harness near the PCM. It's function is to set the timing to base timing, meaning no timing advance except whatever mechanical advance you set by rotating the distributor. The base timing is 10°.
Your comment, " So I skip this step on mine as mine is EFI" is not relevant, EFI is not actually a factor in setting your timing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yo,
View attachment 178098
OD light and push button switch are at #2
So I do have an overdrive switch but I never see it flashing or anything on the handle itself. I do see a light that lights up the "off" button on the overdrive switch itself. But no blinking or anything.

As a side question; when do I use the overdrive?

Also I am starting to think this is a vacuum issue possibly? I did end up buying the code reader but I have a bit to do before I get to that.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Another vote for tranny filter.

And when you go to replace the E4OD fluid and filter, make sure to just drain the fluid.
Do NOT "flush" the tranny fluid.
And make sure to get one of the add-on filter clips that hold the filter in place so it doesn't drop to the bottom of the pan again.
And while you've got the tranny oil pan cover removed, tap a drain valve into it.
And before you put it back together, add a super cool mod. The Punisher Valve Body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts