Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thing I did was do a quick exhaust job, sounds much better without the muffler.



I also started to gather parts, I picked up some used Fox 2.5x12 bypasses and 2.5x14 coilovers. The coilovers are two different models, one blue which is the older style and one black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I picked up some Autofab coilover buckets, super nice pieces but pretty spendy. I figure when I do an engine cage I'll be able to sell them. Nice thing about them was no holes needed to be drilled, just used all of the original rivet holes.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then I started on the rear end while I waited for my C&T beams and radius arms to get finished up. I picked up some used National Springs and a Threat Motorsports upper shock mount and shackles.


The shock mount is setup perfect as you can see. At full bump there is only about 3/8" of shock shaft visible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then I had a little issue with some 6 ton Harbor Freight jack stands. The one on the front left buckled and took the whole rig to the ground. I originally had them setup on some 4x6 blocks but then put them on some cut down structural beam so the entire stand was on them. I had unbolted the rear shock mount to paint it and had just finished bolting it back in. I climbed out from underneath and within about 5 seconds I heard a weird noise, turned around, and the dang Bronco came crashing to the ground. It was definitely a scary feeling that if I was under there for five more seconds I probably wouldn't be here today. Both my sons were under there with me all the time too.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then I finally got my beams and radius arms back from Richer Racing, awesome job!! Uniball pivots, giant heim joints for the radius arms, 2" .120 wall DOM radius arms, lots of plating on the arms. Couldn't be happier with them.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Nice kit buddy. Wow that was lucky. Gotta say I have looked at those ratchet stands and have always steered away from them thinking what if the ratchet bit slipped. I'm sure typically they are OK but I've always liked ones where you put a pin through so they would have to sheer the pin to slip. That or as you had a solid block. Lucky scrape mate :doh0715:. Any truck damage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kept going on the rear, got everything fully cycled, an Autofab 2-link installed(picked it up with the leafs used) and limit straps installed. Bump to strap I'm pulling about 16" of travel. The shock setup isn't exactly ideal but until I cage it they will stay under the bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There was a little bit of damage to the truck, the passenger rocker and the rock guard under the passenger headlight. I picked up some "pipe" stands for the front and was using some craftsman 3 ton stands for the rear until my MADE IN 'MERICA 6 ton stands showed up.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then I started back on the front, got the beams mounted and radius arms mocked up. I like the pic of full bump in the front and full droop in the rear.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I kept going on the front, got some bump stop cans fab'd up and the lower shock mounts burned in. Got the limit straps measured up and installed, I'm pulling 17" of travel with working 4x4. I did have to clearance the center joint a bit but it worked out great.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I realized after getting the front driver coilover bucket installed that it didn't sit flat against the frame. After comparing both sides, I realized there was a bump in the top portion of the frame. After a call to John at Autofab asking for his guidance, I had to cut a 5"ish x 3/8" notch in the top of the frame and beat it in and weld it back together. I had the welder turned up pretty high and got it burned in pretty well. Now the bucket sits flat against the frame and I have more clearance between it and the master cylinder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After all of that, I got the brakes bled and put the tires back on after double checking all the bolts. The droop picture was after adjusting the preload for ride height.



Then I took the beast out for its maiden voyage. I did a mix of everything, rocks, high speed, whoops, you name it, this thing took it like a champ. Super happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After that trip I did a few things that it desperately needed. I picked up some Mastercraft Baja RS seats, and installed an Expedition center console. The console is a great addition if you lose your armrests from a seat swap. plus you get way more storage and better cup holders. I also added a light bar to the bumper and some tow hooks before I took that trip.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then I started working on a rear bumper after I hung the stock one up in a rut and bent up pretty high. The holes for the lights are fully boxed in in case I want to make the bumper an air tank.




Then while welding the bumper, I must have burned a hole in my pocket because all my change fell out and laid a bunch of dimes down on these welds! HAHA

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Then I started on a small switch/radio console for the front of the Expedition console. I holds 6 switches, my VHF radio, a 12v outlet and a dual USB outlet. Wrapped it up in vinyl and mounted it up. Pretty happy with it, still need to wire everything.



 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top