1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have a 96 Ford Bronco 5.8 v8.
4x4 with 247,000 miles
The distributor pin that holds the gear is missing when I pulled it out of the block.
Obviously the car won’t start.
The mechanic mention the oil pump seizing could be the reason of this . Need some guidance please . Also would it be possible for me to install a new distributor , timing would be a issue?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My concern would be where’d the pin go and did it do any damage? I would, at a minimum, drop the pan and inspect. While the pan is out, you can change the oil pump if your mechanic is right that it seized. If you either find the pin or everything looks ok, you could button it up and install a new distributor and pray for the best when you fire it up.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo Stormy97,
Suggest you add the recent additional info we discussed in our Conversations (formerly "Private Messages"), especially;
"Oil pressure gauge moves back and forth so fast you can’t see the needle , but only when hot.
I thought it was the sending unit.
The mechanic said the pump is working"

□⊙□
Following is my usual intro to new members with the Best Year Bronco 😁:
Find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Please fill out your Bronco Signature with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual), location info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop
To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example:
How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) via 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

Register to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site .

See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
128 Posts
As Petersonat mentioned the important question is where is the pin. you can also go to a chain auto parts store and borrow and oil pump primer tool. that might also tell you if there's any issue with the oil pump.
either way, you'll need to drain the oil to make sure you put hands on the pin.

a very inexpensive haynes manual - probably also at your auto parts store - will guide you through distributor install and timing.
there are some great write ups on this site as well

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
As mentioned, get a pump prime tool, take off the driver side valve cover and spin the pump. If it works, drain the oil and maybe you will get lucky and the pin will come out (strain the oil as it comes out).

If it doesn't come out....decision time.

And yes, once you get it all sorted, you'll have to find TDC on #1 and stab the distributor in with the rotor pointing to #1. If you are lucky it will start and run enough to put a timing light on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo @Stormy97

Timing Adjustment by sackman9975 @ How to properly set the timing on a 302 or 351
&
Section 03-07A: Ignition, Distributor
1996 F-Series and Bronco with Gasoline Engines Workshop Manual​
ADJUSTMENTS
Ignition Timing Overview
Refer to the following illustrations for cylinder numbering of block and distributor for firing orders and timing mark locations.
Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual OBDI or OBDII for ignition timing procedures of the distributor ignition (DI) system. Base ignition timing is preset at 10° ± 2° BTDC. Read more by Ford @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mechanic said pump is working
My oil gauge is moving back and forth so fast you can’t see the needle, but only when hot

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Remember that the Oil Pressure "gauge" is not really an analogue gauge, it is a switch, it grounds the signal when the oil pressure is over 6 PSI.
It's easy to change and cheap too, you may need to get a special Ford oil pressure socket as the gauge had a thin metal shell and a regular socket can distort the shell. Also remember that the oil pressure switch sender has a tapered pipe thread, you can damage the gauge or the boss it sits in if you overtighten it. The gauge is grounded through the threads, too much Teflon tape on the threads will insulate it from the block and render the gauge useless. A little Permatex thread sealant is all that is needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts