Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting one in tomorrow, just crimped all the wires and bougfht the install kit from advance auto. Do I have to remove the dash to mount it, or that little strip of trim that has the model name on it?

·
Side step it
1,584 Posts
I am putting one in tomorrow, just crimped all the wires and bougfht the install kit from advance auto. Do I have to remove the dash to mount it, or that little strip of trim that has the model name on it?
No, that all stays. If you go to a stereo store, like I did, you can purchase a jumper wire that has a connector at both ends. One end is set-up to plug directly into your stock radio wiring connector in the dash & the other is set-up to plug directly into your stereo. Just tell them what vehicle you're putting it into & what brand/model radio you are installing. After I pulled out my old stereo & slipped in the sleeve for the new stereo to slide into, it took all of 30 seconds to wire it up with that set-up. I installed a Sony Explod unit & after you slide it in & hear it click, you just remove the face plate when you park the truck! Whole install was about 30 minutes.:thumbup Good Luck!-Kevin-

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
You could buy the connector, but as long as you have all the correct wires going to the correct places, you are fine. But, if you don't connect it right, or make faulty connections with shorts everywhere, it will not work properly.

I did that on my first truck, about 6 years ago and messed up alot of the other electrical components in the truck.

You don't have to remove any of the dash components. You say you have no stock stereo in there now, but just incase I misunderstood here is a tip to removing your old stereo. That was my biggest problem. There are four small holes, in each corner of the stereo. You have to get something to push into those holes to release the tabs on the old stereo.

Good luck!

James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts