Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my upholstery guy to make the top and i started the frame this morning.
I used 3/4 emt for the frame and pipe insulation on the emt. On the hoop i made brackets out of angle iron and bolted them to the studs on the fender that were for the seat belts. I didnt want to try and bend the emt so i used black iron 90's at the top i just welded the to the emt. It was pretty simple to build the hardest part was lining up the snaps in the front. Here are some pics.
The weld doesnt look to great on the 90 but it wasnt real easy to weld on that emt.The only thing i have left to do is mount some eyelets in the rear for the cords to hook to. The material is a diamond plate design used for making bed covers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just finished it today so i havent drove it yet with the new top. I will drive it tomorrow and report back on how it did. I am loving the new shop its nice to have a shop that was built right and doesnt flood when it rains. I will get some more shots of the whole bronco with the top tomorrow.Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I took it down the road this morning and the top didnt bounce or start poping at all. I got it up to 65
i dont drive my bronco on the interstate so is rarely sees over 60. I think a the main reason it did so well is because i had the guy who made it put in a pocket in the rear so i could slide some emt in there to make the back stay straight and not wrinkle up. You can see the emt in the 3rd picture it runs the entire length of the top from strap loop to strap loop. I have about 180.00 in materials
so it came out real good for the price. I have been waiting on a soft top to come out but got tired of waiting so i did the next best thing. If any of you guys need some help building one just let me know. I paid 135.00 for just the top it seems kinda high but he used top of the line material and he knows his s**T.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
How easy is it to take off? If u had to could u put ur hard top back on?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Noice design man!! Looks very cool!

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
off topic
but what did u do with ur back speakers?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Speaking of steps, has anyone seen these?

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?partfamilyid=1612&subcategoryid=350&categoryid=25

There are better ones out there, but this was the only image I could find. What if you mounted it to the seat rail and this way you could flip it up into the cab without having something bolted on the outside?

This way the guys won't ****le anything when they hit the trails, and the ladies have something to use to get in the truck.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts