Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so long story short I might have electrical gremlins,
There used to be an aftermarket stereo system in this thing and I don't think it was wired back up correctly. The CEL comes on after 15 mins of driving, I did the EEC test with the wire and it won't give me any codes, the wires seem to be fine (dirty but not broken or anything. Lately I noticed the battery amp gauge would jump from high to low when I pressed on the brake (only happened once) it stayed low and went lower when I rolled down the windows. after releasing the brake it went back to normal. Its a 1995 302 automatic. Me and another member came to the result of a bad comp if the wires are fine but I forgot to mention the aftermarket speakers. (it has stock unit, a secondary was added in the storage slot beneath the gear stalk but was removed.)

The torque converter might be going bad (I hear a hallow grinding noise at 1500 rpm only) I was told it might be the transfer case too. The solenoid pack might be going out too, once in a while it doesn't go into third and only stays in neutral, only driveable at low speeds and in limp mode. If that has to to with the cel then I found my prob..

Any conclusions to what the electrical prob and grinding noise might be?

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Alright... I will take a shot at this (or some of it)....

First, if you supsect the old radio wiring may have been causing issues, make 100% sure that is fixed. Good, solid grounds and clean, proper crimps for all wires are used. Make sure your positive and power on wires are not overloading an circuits and have clean connections to their power source. Additionally, make sure that your none of your wires are exposed and/or grounding the system out anywhere.

Once done with that, check you cables carefully. Make sure there is not corrosion around the battery posts or up the cables from the battery. Next, clean ALL ground points and make sure they are securely attached. You can can/should also test the battery and alt.

For the grinding... Hard to tell. If its an electrical issue thats causing this, the instructions above may help. In addition to the stuff above, check the wiring harness to the MLPS and make sure its in good shape and do the same for the harness to the solenoid pack (these take a beating because they are close to the exhaust). If you get the electrical issue fixed, the harnesses look good but this still continues, I would try replacing the MLPS and see if that helps. I am not big on throwing parts at a problem, but these are pretty cheap and have been known to fail and cause problems.

Finally - while its not impossible for your ECU to be the problem, its not likely. The ECUs rarely fail. I would look at the free/cheaper/easier to repair options before I considered replacing the ECU....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts