Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In Front of Jopes
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has never been the same since I took it to a shop I used to work at.
The steering is too tight,and wants to go straight, I have to keep both hands on it at 65 and above. Curves at 70 seems scary like its going to oversteer and roll. The truck scares me to death because it doesn't handle right, and I had no problems before.

Back in August I put in new balljoints, torqued to specs. I was satisfied with the way it drove on the highway.

Then I took it to the shop for an aglinment.
They broke the camber ajuster, and destroyed the balljoint (right upper) and tried to pass it off as overtighted. They used a torch on it to get it out.
And I observed one of them using a 1/2 impact wrench (no extension on it)
to tighten the balljoint nut, and sliding the cotter pin in.
$480 and a bunch of BS.
There was also $10 charged for a ABS sensor shield protector. That has to mean the spacer on inner of the knuckle. Well when I replaced my ABS sensor I found one screw missing (There are two screws that hold the ABS sensor in) And the spacer mentioned above had a little crack in it, the hole where there was a screw with a 12 point head, was tapped out for a bigger screw by my freind because we did not have another vehicle to get a screw.
The two screws on the spacer, they are not the same size right?
If that is true that the two screws are different sizes, that means they reused the old one and charged me for a new one that they didnt put in.
It was only the right side that they disassembled to the bare knuckle.
Since my steering seems too tight, and a little oversteer, did the shop do something to it which is causing my problems?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
MikeW said:
My truck has never been the same since I took it to a shop I used to work at.
The steering is too tight,and wants to go straight, I have to keep both hands on it at 65 and above. Curves at 70 seems scary like its going to oversteer and roll. The truck scares me to death because it doesn't handle right, and I had no problems before.

Back in August I put in new balljoints, torqued to specs. I was satisfied with the way it drove on the highway.

Then I took it to the shop for an aglinment.
They broke the camber ajuster, and destroyed the balljoint (right upper) and tried to pass it off as overtighted. They used a torch on it to get it out.
And I observed one of them using a 1/2 impact wrench (no extension on it)
to tighten the balljoint nut, and sliding the cotter pin in.
$480 and a bunch of BS.
There was also $10 charged for a ABS sensor shield protector. That has to mean the spacer on inner of the knuckle. Well when I replaced my ABS sensor I found one screw missing (There are two screws that hold the ABS sensor in) And the spacer mentioned above had a little crack in it, the hole where there was a screw with a 12 point head, was tapped out for a bigger screw by my freind because we did not have another vehicle to get a screw.
The two screws on the spacer, they are not the same size right?
If that is true that the two screws are different sizes, that means they reused the old one and charged me for a new one that they didnt put in.
It was only the right side that they disassembled to the bare knuckle.
Since my steering seems too tight, and a little oversteer, did the shop do something to it which is causing my problems?
Yes, you are right, there are two small bolts of different sizes. To tell you exactly what sizes they were, I would have to go and put sockets on them, but one is surely 12 point, was oddsized, think 6mm? and it seems like the other was 1/4".

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ya you got hosed. How long ago did you take it in the shop?

·
In Front of Jopes
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in September. My stepdad knew the guy, the guy didn't know jack what I knew about trucks and stuff, he basically ran the business, left the work to his mechanics. There are three mechanics, only one is ASE certified.
Two of them did my truck and they made a big deal about me doing it myself, and BS'ed me.

Heres my aunt here, I bet the weiner shop owner can't pony up the money for a lawyer to compare to my aunt.

http://www.superlawyers.com/minnesota.asp?f=Jennifer+R.&l=Wellner

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
First I'd give them a chance to fix the problem. If they refuse, I'd sick your aunt on them. Maybe another shop could help verify that they dicked things up. Either way, you need to get it fixed right before you hurt yourself or someone else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.