Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
89 Problems
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there fellow bronco enthusiasts!

i've decided that now is as good a time as any to start my build thread. i'm unable to do the work now, but i figured the least i could do is just get my list up of what my plans are. a few things here i might need a little help with, so i figured posting this build thread in the area it'll be built in would be a good idea! also, I am new to 4x4s and wheeling and figured y'all may have some advice about if i'm going in the right direction.

here's the list- it's not in any particular order, i just wrote it up as it came to me.

-4" front Pro-comp lift- the nice one, stage II. i was always told with lifts you get what you pay for.
-rear shackle flip
-35x15x15 Super Swamper Bias Ply TSLs
-4.56 gears
-aussie locker out back
-some kind of torque biasing or LSD up front, looking at truetrac
-full length headers
-a very quiet exhaust, looking at dual system with hushpower IIs
-4 lights on the roof
-3g alternator
-a hitch
-oil filter relocation kit
-bronco graveyard full family cage
-sixliter tuneup
-extended axle breather lines
-rebuild the front and rear axles when i put the gears and locker and lsd in
-a CB and antenna
-2 22 gallon fuel cells
-a scanner
-a very mild grille guard and tow hooks
-a nice winch-been looking at milemarkers
-herculine the whole interior
-manual hub conversion
-on board air..... someday.

questions, comments, concerns? fire away folks! :beer

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
whats to comment about?

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Why do you want the oil filter relocation??? Fords filter location seams to be pretty out of the way, especially for a truck that is going to keep the TTB.....

Full lenght headers will have to go later if you decide to do a SAS, and will cut into your ground clearance (I found that out the hard way).

I would do some more research, and get on project done, THEN plan the next...

·
89 Problems
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what i'm planning on coming first is the drivetrain work- the 4.56s and the locker out back. i don't have the cash for a truetrac for the front right now, and i def don't have enough for the on board air or an air locker. i was going with a four inch because my fenders are already cut out back and i'm gonna just chop em up in the front anyway, so i won't have clearance problems for the 35s. sounds like full length headers is a bad idea. i knew they would be in the way of SAS but i didn't think they would give me gruond clearance grief with the TTB. procomp 4" isn't good? it's the one i've heard the best news about. i guess it just depends who you talk to. my friend who has an '80 suggested getting the relocater for the filter- you're right though, it's in a pretty nice place right now.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Go with a 6" lift, there are alot of people who went with the 4 and wished they had the 6, but I havn't seen anyone with a 6" lift wish they had the 4.:shrug

I have had a Procomp stage2 lift for over over 2 years, both rock crawling and desert running with zero issues.

As far as the oil filter relocation kit. I'd put one in, (future mod for me) it has nothing to do with clearance. Just wait till you change the oil and end up dumping the oil from the filter all over the TTB. A real messy PITA.:doh0715:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I would rethink the herculine interior. I talked with some guys who said it does nothing for interior noise and also gets really hot. So hot that you cant touch it. Look into a factory rubber mats. I think LMC truck still has them. They will give you some insulation and wont burn your feet.

·
89 Problems
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rubber sounds like a good idea! and yeah, i guess you're right, a front six inch lift is pretty much the same price as the 4 inch.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I see that OBA is really low on your list. If you're planning on wheeling it, bump that up. I've got a Broncoair on mine and I use it a LOT. Go with a York, electric compressors just can't compare.

·
89 Problems
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will I need a different carrier for my 4.56 gears in my nine inch? when i was talking about OBA i was meaning broncoair. it's pretty low on my priority list because it seems expensive and not needed too bad right now... maybe it's more important than i thought.

·
the bruise
1,400 Posts
Go with a 6" lift, there are alot of people who went with the 4 and wished they had the 6, but I havn't seen anyone with a 6" lift wish they had the 4.:shrug

I have had a Procomp stage2 lift for over over 2 years, both rock crawling and desert running with zero issues.

As far as the oil filter relocation kit. I'd put one in, (future mod for me) it has nothing to do with clearance. Just wait till you change the oil and end up dumping the oil from the filter all over the TTB. A real messy PITA.:doh0715:
:stupid

yeah you would be better off. i also have the procomp 6" kit. zero issues but whatever.

i would herculine the interior, its totally worth it and can't wait to do it again on my newer bronco. it never go to hot (no hotter than not having any carpet in the truck right now) and for that fact noisier.

but i like your list, its a good one to work off of.

·
89 Problems
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i see that you guys wanna bronco and wasacop both run the 6" pro comp and 36s- everywhere i look it says 36s are too big for ttb. how are they treating you? no problems so far? and i still don't know if i will need a different carrier for the 4.56s.you guys probly don't know cuz y'all have the 8.8s though.

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts

i havent had a problem:scratchhe

I would rethink the herculine interior. I talked with some guys who said it does nothing for interior noise and also gets really hot. So hot that you cant touch it. Look into a factory rubber mats. I think LMC truck still has them. They will give you some insulation and wont burn your feet.
:stupid
the factory mats are amazing. My feet were 4-6 inches under water. and all i had to do was hose out the inside. no smell. no stick. all gone

rubber sounds like a good idea! and yeah, i guess you're right, a front six inch lift is pretty much the same price as the 4 inch.
DEFINITELY A 6.....im kicking my self in the ass for not doing a 6" :doh0715
Edit:(that is a good sig.:rofl:)
I see that OBA is really low on your list. If you're planning on wheeling it, bump that up. I've got a Broncoair on mine and I use it a LOT. Go with a York, electric compressors just can't compare.
I haven't done it yet. but i need to. paying for air sucks, especially when your with people who need to do the same thing. just charge ur friends a little cheaper than what a gas station does, make some profit. Run some tools. it is very benificial/
i see that you guys wanna bronco and wasacop both run the 6" pro comp and 36s- everywhere i look it says 36s are too big for ttb. how are they treating you? no problems so far? and i still don't know if i will need a different carrier for the 4.56s.you guys probly don't know cuz y'all have the 8.8s though.
35-36 doesnt seem to make much of a difference. why not just run 35s with ur 6". it will be less tire stuff. and look great. look for pictures on it. but really the difference between 35 and 36 isnt much.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
How about doing the responsible thing by saving your money, finishing college, and getting a job before you build dream lists?

I assume your about 18 or 19 so I am just being real with you. Everyone has dream lists when they are that age, I know I did, and I wish I would have taken others advise back then.

·
89 Problems
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, my major sortof calls for outside of class study ;)

i don't expect to finish this thing for quite a while, but i might as well take advantage of the free facilities i have at my school- which means every tool and machine IMAGINABLE for fixing or fabricating. we even have a CNC machine. i've got a good-paying job right now, and i wanna have something to keep me from being incredibly bored in Mcpherson, Kansas. this wish list isn't going to be accomplished within the next three years- i'm just going to set a goal now.

by the way, i miss George too. my favorite comedian of all time.

"the other day, i either hit a sheep, or i hit a small man in a sheepskin coat."

haven't listened to him for a long time.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
How about doing the responsible thing by saving your money, finishing college, and getting a job before you build dream lists?

I assume your about 18 or 19 so I am just being real with you. Everyone has dream lists when they are that age, I know I did, and I wish I would have taken others advise back then.
Or get a fulltime job at your college. Draw a paycheck, get free classes, and graduate 3 years "late" with a free degree, money in the bank, great references, and all the dream list accomplished.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts