Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

My Bronco's other half.

43K views 383 replies 16 participants last post by  Doosenberry 
Congrats on the air cleaner & pop-up. Nice finds. 👍

We have an old starcraft pop-up. We got it used for cheap many years ago while the kids were still at home, & have definitely gotten our money's worth from it. With its low profile it's been a breeze to tow. But the ground clearance isn't much, so it's more suited to base camp duties than off road use.

It's been to Stagecoach & to the Huck Finn bluegrass festival. We rolled in late at night to Huck Finn my first year there & had a hard time finding a spot in the dark. But there was a large space between a couple of those megabuck motorhomes, & I parked it there. I had washed everything all up before leaving home & thought it was looking pretty good. The next morning the lady next door opened her door, saw my little old pop-up & Bronco parked there, & apparently wasn't impressed. She started cussing up a storm, which woke us up thru the tent sides. They packed up & moved elsewhere before we got up.

A collapsed top is an issue with my pop-up. The center is supposed to have a slight upward arch. The PO let his kids use it as a stage, so where the arch should be is a dip. It pools & leaks if left in the rain. I originally thought I'd jack up the center & pop it back up, but the structure is iffy enough that I haven't & just keep it under a tarp. We don't take it out in the rain.

You might want to come up with a rack to keep any weight out to the edges if you're going to put any load on the top.

Long ago when I had a boat, it had a clamp on adaptor that allowed a hose to be hooked up over the water inputs so it could be run on dry ground. It was very handy for working out the bugs at home, & earned it's keep on my old boat.

Here's a video found online of a similar product. It also shows a smaller outboard being run in a trashcan full of water.

That sounds like it might be a solenoid or wiring issue. On the old 4 post solenoids, the "I" post should provide full battery voltage to the ignition while the starter is cranking.

You might try measuring voltage out of the "I" post while cranking, or connecting that wire to hot & see if it starts normally.

A topper would be nice to have, but I don't think anyone ever made one for a shortbed dentside, not even Ford. Maybe they are out there, but I've never seen a picture of one, they're always long beds.
Fwiw once upon a time I got a free used shell from an 80-86 & put it on my 69 bumpside. I didn't think it would look right at the roof, but once in place I was pleasantly surprised with how good it fit. Both were longbed trucks, but while trying to find that one I did find some shortbed caps.

All that to say you might expand your search parameters to more years & see how it looks if you do find a short box cap from the wrong generation.

Looks like a fun day with the boat & dogs. 👍

As long have you have that out & clean, you might want to solder up the connections thru the base plate. I realize that yours is only a sender, & @jermil01 's issue was fuel pump related, but sometimes those rivets can loosen up. Post 59.

I think falcons ran a 260 in 63 & 64. Mine was a 64 sprint, so it was the chrome open element. I'll bet the futura looked like that though. My brother's 65 Tiger started out with a 260 too. That one looks like a good base for the look you want.

I always preferred the look of the one you have to the last one you posted. That last one seemed to show up more in general purpose vehicles. I think the one you have showed more in what we would have considered to be more sporty models.

Yeah, we frequently replaced those with open element air filters. Sometimes with 2 elements stacked, which we called a "big boy" air filter, after the double burger at Bob's Big Boy.

And sometimes guys would locate a taller element to use in the stock air filter, so the lid didn't sit all the way down closed, which left an opening for more air flow around the edge.

Neither of which sounds like the look that you're after.

I also remember one guy cutting a hole & adding a second snorkle to his air cleaner on the opposite side.

I also picked up some other goodies via Craigslist. They are sacrilegious, but I'm going to remove the sacrilegious emblems from them and put something else.
Haha! I ran hub caps with a tiny bowtie on my 64 Falcon convertible. I always meant to strip & paint checkers over it. No one ever noticed & I never got around to painting them.
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Rim

Google says 512 is Austin, Tx. Weird.
With people keeping their numbers & moving all over, we're running into odd numbers on a pretty regular basis.

Neat trick on the carb cleaning. Probably a lot safer than my ancient bucket of carb cleaner. I can smell it just from talking about it.

My favorite old carb guy is still at it. But he's starting to seem a little loco lately. Probably from 50 years of sniffing carb cleaner.

I'd be concerned that if I put this jack, or a different one made to mount on the side, on the outside of the frame that it would get in the way of the metal rods for the bed.
I recently replaced the old jack on my trash trailer. I found a Curt brand that clamped on with U-bolts, had the crank on the side, & a pin to rotate it 1/4 turn when not in use. It's pretty low profile above the tongue. I wonder if the lower side crank style might clear your metal rods or spare tire. Washed out pic from a dying phone.
Wood Bumper Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior

I'm gonna go back and remove them and see if I can weather proof the exposed portions of wire for the factory harness.
I've been using some of this stuff lately. So far it seems to seal pretty well. I've seen black, red, white, & green.

It looks pretty good. It'll be sharp once you get it coated.

I've had enough trouble with those hangly dangly socket brackets that I've gone to using a hole saw thru the bumper.

I don't know if there's anywhere where'd you'd be willing to drill the bumper, but it's been a real problem solver here.

I need to do my pickup next. This one is currently held in place by wire after falling free again. Maybe I'll drill it instead of, or next to, one of the license plate lights. I already have one of those 7 pin connectors with a little 4 pin on the side, since both types keep coming up. That's been handy.

Looks like a great trip. Good on you for getting your kids out camping. 👍

down a terrible washboard dirt road that made me miss the Bronco's suspension. I had to do 15 mph or slower to keep from shaking the truck to pieces.
Sometimes on a washboard road airing down can really help. Not so low as you would for offroading, but lower than you'd normally run in a pickup. Visiting my uncle & aunt in Oregon, who lived quite a ways down a washboard road, I learned to find a balance that would work for their road & local pavement trips. Then I'd air up before the long trip home. On their road it made a huge difference.

BikerPepe`s nephew in Portland is charged with murder for defending his life while being attacked. Details here:
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/my-nephews-self-defense-murder-case-in-portland-or.525950/