Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking around for a while, thought I'd show off what I've been up to in my spare time since last fall. It keeps me outta trouble, ... or so I say ;).
Back story, my dad bought a '78 with only 5x,xxx miles on it, dropped a 460 into it, wheeled it, broke it, fixed it, repeated, until he endo'd it up at silver. Well, it sat and sat and sat, 12 years, until I got my hands on it this fall:

66,000 miles on it. It ran when my dad rolled it, and was kept inside the barn all those years. Original plan, tow it behind a truck, get the torq converter to lock in, turn the engine over, a new starter, a battery, some 33's, a new body, and I'd have myself a toy. Plan's change, a lot.
The engine wouldn't turn over, the torq convertor wouldn't even lock up. So I pulled the engine, tore it down to nothing, and was planning on rebuilding it:

But the night before I went to get it dipped and bead blasted, I found this on craigslist:

So I bought it as a Christmas Present to myself. 460 with a lot of goodies. 500 miles on a $4000 rebuild. Edelbrock Carb, Cam, and Intake. Head's were ported to match the intake.
This is my Birthday present to myself:

Pic of the donor truck sitting around the house:

The body's not the greatest, but she was Free! plus, you make it to nice, and you're afraid to wheel it:

I've kinda stopped taking pictures, but here's the most recent pic I have:

Since then, I've installed an 8 point cage that mounts to the frame:

A 4.5 lift kit, the exhaust, the front clip, exhaust, etc. Definately still a work in progress, but I'm learning. Sorry for the novel, and kinda just trailing off, it's getting late

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Lookin good so far. That old tub didnt look too bad, how'd you're dad endo it? Keep us updated as you go along.:popc1:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks good to me!

Nice engine... nice tires.... love the headers..

I look foreward to hearin' how she wheels!

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Lookin good. Exactly how many broncos you got layin around?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I failed to mention that I swapped the bodies. Put the straight tub (79) on the '78 with only 67,000 miles (the truck I'm building). Put the endo'd tub (from the '78) on the '79 (parts truck for now). It was definitely a shame that my dad rolled her. Only some rust on the tailgate and a little on the floor pans.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey 460fsb is it still considered a 78 with the 79 body, do u have to have the smog equip. on it now? i saw on some shows u can't put an older engine in newer body, just wondering i may be in same boat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts