Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i have been reading about efan installs for a while on here and i have decided to go for it. i am posting this because my truck is my dd, and i have to be able to do ieverything all in an afternoon, so i can drive the next morning. Ok, heres what im working with. I have a fan out of a v8 t-bird. its the same one brian soderblom used. I want to use this switch from
4x4mods.com. its DPDT, on/off/on.
i want one "on" position to have the fan run on a temperature sensor. i want the other "on" posititon to run the fan on high no matter what. along with this switch i bought two 90 amp starter relays from parts america, part # 3996786. its a gp sorensen relay mr76. my buddy used this relay to run the high on his taurus fan. i was wondering how i should wire this up. can i get away with only one relay?? or should i get a heavy duty unit like kf4amu?? i would also like to know what temperature sensor i should use. thanks.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Your going to need two relays.

You'll have to run from the switch to the relay to the fan for the "high" position, that will run at all times regardless of temperature.

The temperature set one will have to run from the switch, to the temperature switch, to the relay. The switch will close the circuit, the temperature limit will hit closing that circuit and then the relay will close, closing the circuit for the fan.

I don't know about current draw on these fans, so i really don't know what size relay you would need.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
When I get home I will draw a diagram of what you will need to do. All I have here is Paint and don't care to use it.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
I will be using Visio. I just don't have it at my ultra-exciting work.

You know this sucks, I'm used to taking 40-50 calls a day I think I have taken 10 today. I know I'm being paid for this but it still sucks on it's own level.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Visio technical, thats the program i was thinking about when someone asked about a good program isntead of CAD.

How much did that cost you and where did you get it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just hooked up a 94 T-bird v6 fan to my 1995 F150 4.9L today also.

I thought the tbrids only came in v6 and SCv6 in the later years?

Anyhow, I used two 5 post 30 amp relays, and two 4 post 30 amp relays. I would have only used one of each in a higher ampere rating but i couldn't find any easily.

I have the temp sensor hooked up to turn on the two 4 post relays, which then run into the two 5 post relays. I have a switch in the cab to set high or low, and i have a light run from the high speed power at the fan into a light in the cab. This way i know that power is at the fan on high speed.

The way its wired, the temp sensor turns on the fan regaurdless of its speed setting, and only one wire has juice at a time (so the low and high speed can't be turned on at the same time) This also leaves the possibility of throwing in an on all the time switch if i feel the need.

The 3g alt won't power the fan at high, with the highbeams on including two 100w pencil beams, with stereo at low volume (one 150w amp and one 175w amp). Thats understandable as its a lot of juice. I'm thinking about Fireguy50's rectifier bridge that puts out 200amps, but i'd like to see how much it does at idle first.

I don't think i'll need the high speed, maybe in the summer heat when towing. The stock radiator is a single core and not very big.

Whoever said the electric fans put out more or equal air to the clutch fans is smokin rocks.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rhetor said:
I just hooked up a 94 T-bird v6 fan to my 1995 F150 4.9L today also.....

....I don't think i'll need the high speed, maybe in the summer heat when towing...

Whoever said the electric fans put out more or equal air to the clutch fans is smokin rocks.
im not sure i understand you. haha, are you sayin that the clutch fan is better or worse? if the electric fan doesnt match the clutch fan, why wouldnt you use the high speed??

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help bronco rob. you can still post a drawing if you want froggmann :twotu: , the more help the better. Brian soderbloms write up says it pulls 100 amps at start and then like 30 continuosly after that. he used a 40 amp slo-blo fuse. will the 90 amp relays be ok?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i found this::

could i do this and use only one relay?? that way i could save the other for a spare. the relay scares me. im not sure its enough......
there is another schematic with something about the a/c. should i worry about that??

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bronco Rob said:
That's a Ryan diagram (Fireguy) I trust anything he says.

If you found that on FFI.com, it will work.
thanks for all the help everyone. i just still have my doubts about which relay to use on this fan and what temp. sensor to use....

·
Registered
150 Posts
a single 90 amp relay should be fine. A single 30/40 amp would probably cause issues.

I went with two 30/40 amp relays.

What i was saying is that the clutch fan pulls a lot more air than the electric fan, even at idle. I don't think you really need that much air though. When you run the AC in the extreme summer heat of some areas where these truck are sold, the amount of air the clutch fan pulls becomes more neccessary.

I probably should have organized my thoughts better in the previous post. I think the t-bird fan will be enough flow for the truck, even in the summer.

·
Premium Member
8,517 Posts
96broncoman said:
i found this::

could i do this and use only one relay?? that way i could save the other for a spare. the relay scares me. im not sure its enough......
there is another schematic with something about the a/c. should i worry about that??

Yes this is how I would do it. Much cleaner install - less wires

·
Registered
75 Posts
You may want to add a slow blow fuse in there to cover the inital draw...

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
Didn't he want to run high off the switch and low off the sensor? If so that last one won't work.

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
96broncoman said:
thanks for all the help everyone. i just still have my doubts about which relay to use on this fan and what temp. sensor to use....
Da dada DAaaa da da daaaaaa....

kf4amu to the rescue.

A 85+ amp relay like i have on my writeup is plenty. Mine starts 2 Taurus fans without problems.

The schematic posted from Ryan McCormicks site is the way to wire your system using only 1 relay. There is no drawback to doing it this way.

In my extensive research I've seen numbers of the mechanical clutch fan pulling 10,000 plus CFM. Unfortunately thats at higher RPM.
The electric fans may only pulls (in the Taurus case) 3800 CFM, but that is at idle. Put 2 of them together you got 7600 CFM at 800 RPM. I'll take that any day over 10,000CFM at 6000 RPM.

I wouldnt mess with the Low setting. There really is no point.
You may save a few amps and a little noise but its too much trouble. Just go with the high setting and you wont notice any difference.

you said you dont know what controller to use...but didnt give any details or reaons why.

What controller are you using, why wont it work, etc etc.

You can wire in the AC clutch to either a simple on/off temp switch or a complicated e-fan controller like I got. Either way it works the same.

-Will

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
rhetor said:
What i was saying is that the clutch fan pulls a lot more air than the electric fan, even at idle.
So at 800 RPM the stock mechanical fan pulls more CFM than a Taurus or Thunderbird/MarkVIII fan at full speed? Doubtful.

Show me the data or some evidence/proof backing up that claim.

Until then, I'm gonna call heresay. Not BS level since I dont believe its intentional.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Here is everything I have looked at

dccontrol.com FK-35. brian is very knowledgeable and seems to be the most aware of the taurus fan reqs. Price is 109, which is high, but seems to be the best out there, and for 40 or 50 bucks, when all is said and done, I decided its worth it.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/electric-fan-accessories.html

the VSC is cool, click on link above, but reqs. the higher amperage 33054 at a price of 91 plus shipping
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

autzone thermo control as written about in many write ups for 18 bucks, no wiring and not enuf amperage
http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EFans%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ETorgFlow++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Adjustable+Electric+Fan+Control+Without+Relay%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E267187%7C%7E5594%7C%7E226203%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2417.99%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E0.6%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EB%7C%7EEGI%7C%7Etrue

I was going to wire mine with an On-Off-On switch with the autzone one and this 85 amp solenoid i found for 20 bucks.
http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=743392&page=1
I spoke with del city about it and it will work in our application.

there are tons of write ups out there. i prefer to do things once and do them right. i dont like the idea of putting relays in parallel, etc. too much wire, too messy, and too many variables. i realize they work for a lot of people, but Id rather spend a little extra coin and do it right.

Ive got tons of links I can give you on more write-ups and info.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts