Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Sigh....

I broke a glow plug a couple weeks ago when i was trying to replace them. Couldnt get the last piece of it out of the head, so.......

That was yesterday. Hopefully next week ill be able to put the head back on. OEM head gaskets & bolts, OEM exh manifold gasket & bolts. Had a cracked injector cup so theyre all getting changed (bought the kit from Rosewood Diesel to do it). Doing valve stems seals, because she's at 201k & the head is off so why not. Also have the parts to convert the truck over to the Superduty valve cover gaskets + UVCHs (Under Valve Cover Harness for you non-diesel guys).

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,963 Posts
Oh man what a pain. I was lucky to get all 8 glow plig out of my 96 without breaking one. That's when I found the melted UVCH. No wonder I was blowing so much raw fuel out at start up. Basically had 2 dead cylinders for who knows how long. Never got it back on the road to see the true power though as the shop burned around it

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Yeah its not a fun job to do, by any means.
I was in a similar situation, i had a couple bad wires so i was running on 6 glow plugs. This one just wasnt coming out; i spent about a week messing with it until i admitted defeat and began removing the head. Hopefully the conversion to the SD stuff will solve this problem so it doesnt happen again!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,963 Posts
Nice to see another F250 PowerStroke that is in good shape! Ours is a Sept 1994 build, so a very early PSD. 148K miles!

View attachment 154315
Mine was a 96 F350 XLT 4x4 CCLB SRW with 175k on it. Gray on white two tone. Not perfect, but looked it from 20 feet. I sure miss the cackle of the PSD through a 4" straight pipe. And the torque, my god, the torque. I had a beans diesel TS6 rotary chip on it with a max 150hp tune. The high idle was nice too.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I have Swamps tunes (on most likely the same TS 6-pos chip) with their injectors. The high idle tune is a life saver in the winter months! I have been warned to take it easy for a bit after the head is back on, gotta give the head gasket time to bed into the iron. OEM head gasket has graphite in it, and i can confirm, it sticks like glue to the iron head/block!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mine was a 96 F350 XLT 4x4 CCLB SRW with 175k on it. Gray on white two tone. Not perfect, but looked it from 20 feet. I sure miss the cackle of the PSD through a 4" straight pipe. And the torque, my god, the torque. I had a beans diesel TS6 rotary chip on it with a max 150hp tune. The high idle was nice too.
I have toyed with the idea of a TS6 chip. Good for towing ?

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
I never did much towing with mine. Didnt have it long enough lol. My TS6 was from Beans, as I mentioned, and had all six slots filled. I reccomend getting a specially tuned TS6, vs buying a generic one for the 7.3.

• stock
  • high idle
  • tow
  • 50hp
  • 100hp
  • 150hp
I usually ran it on the 100 horse tune. It is switchable on the fly. I mounted it in the spot where the electric transfer case switch would go.

I did have an issue with my cam sensor failing, but I'm thinking that had something to do with the two dead cylinders from the melted UVCH.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I have Swamps tunes with a set of their 'Baby Swamps' injectors, so a little bigger than stock. They claim 340 HP, which puts you ~130 HP over stock. Supposedly in the 700ft lb range in the top tune. Completely changed the truck. Top tune is nuts; 30+ lbs of boost, roast 35s damn near into 3rd gear, its absurd. Cant safely control the EGTs, dont really use it. Probably more manageable if i didnt have 35s w/ only 4.10s. Its more for playing, which isnt something i normally do anyway. The towing tune is far more reasonable. What i like about it, its not so much the power, its the way they make it. The injection timing is changed which makes it a bit noisier, but the transmission shift strategy is totally different. Hold gears to a much higher rpm, downshift at higher RPM, the converter lockup is changed so it hold boost better between shifts and doesnt bog down...really its just all around so much better than stock when it comes to towing. But its not an ideal tune for just cruising, so i only run it when the bronco is on the trailer behind me.
Keep in mind, i have a built trans + billet converter in this thing to help handle the added power; the stock one didnt last but maybe two years once i put the injectors in.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
I think on my top tune, with a boost fouler in place, I saw 28psi. But yeah, EGTs would quickly reach 1250°.

The thing I like about a reputable tune, is you dont get gobs of black smoke out the tailpipe. On the full power tune, I'd get just a faint poof of black each upshift when mashing it.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Finally, some progress.

Figured the head was off, might as well do valve stem seals

I had one cracked injector cup, so i replaced all 8

7.3 has a two-stage fuel pump in the valley, and uses a single hard line to supply fuel to the back of both heads:

i wanted to replace mine since it has a kink on the passenger side, and the rubber collars behind the nuts are rotted after 24 years. Well, you cant do it with the turbo installed o_O

It also uses the biggest banjo bolt youve ever seen!

i had to order a set of metric 1/4" drive swivel sockets to get the turbo out, as nothing else will fit in there to remove it. It is god damned tight in there:

That wasnt the worst either. No way to do it w/o them swivel sockets.

Turbo out, new fuel line + pedestal o-rings installed

...and finally, turbo reinstalled!

Got all that finished up this morning. Weather permitting, monday morning i should be good to start reinstalling the head!

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
I attempted to pull a 7.3 turbo once at the JY. Got two bolts off the flange, but as you pointed out, the others are impossible. So instead i pulled one off an international DT466 i6 in an armored truck. Much easier!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Wow yeah, its not an easy job by any means. Putting it back on is a lot easier than removal. Ive got probably 2 hours into getting that damn thing off!

So we had some awesome spring weather today, which means......

Head gasket!

Head!

...and all the torks!

Supposed to be nice and warm tomorrow too, so hopefully that rain holds out and i can get a bit more done!

Went OEM on the head gasket, and the head bolts. Considered studs but theyre major $$$, i dont really need them, and they cut all my OT at work, so.....

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Made some progress this morning, before the weather turned sour.

Exhaust manifold in, along with up-pipe, which you totally cant see, but its in there!

check these rocker arms!

Valve train installed. Down-pipe is reinstalled too.

All new orings and washers on the injectors.

I got all the injectors reinstalled, but by then it was raining pretty heavily. Hopefully tomorrow its a bit dryer out!

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
Every diesel rocker arm I've seen looks like that. Definitely different than a high revving gas engine!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Superduty UVCH + valve cover gaskets:

Removed the engine harness:

..and rewiring it for the SD valve cover gaskets:

...and all done!

With that done, all that was left was to install the harness, batteries, fender liner, and throw some fluids in it! So i got all that done today, purged the fuel lines, and got her running!

...Then i went thru the yard, and filled the bed of the truck with downed branches from the winter :p

So i figure ive got a good weeks worth of work of cleanup to do, but i expect to be working on the big bronco again before the end of the month! :cool:

81 - 97 of 97 Posts