Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

I'm new to the forum and found myself a 1978 bronco :) its got quad shocks up front and F-350 leaf packs in the back. 400M,C6,NP-205,D44/9".

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

The bronco has 170xxxMi on it, starts good, and idles smooth when warmed up, took her up to 80K and seemed to drive fine considering its 35 years old. its been heavily undercoated, but there is still rust in the usual places. fenders and drivers floor. but I have a new pan, and would like to use cut-out bushwhackers, which should cover up the rest.

I picked out Aussie lunchbox lockers for the D44/9", and either 4.56 or 4.88 gears. I'd also like to run it on propane with a edlebrock non EGR intake/fender exit headers. Covert the ignition over to HEI, and eventually install a better cam/chain/and Aussie heads.

I'm unsure as how to go about the lift though... goal is for 38's, I'm 'conservative' when it comes to 4x4, no hopping, tire roasting, etc. It'll be a road legal trail truck

I'm pretty sure Ive narrowed it down to the Bronco-graveyard 6.5 super-deluxe kit. With the flares I'm thinking 38's will fit, if not a body lift is easy enough. It comes with

-Superlift Coils
-Superlift Blocks
-Superlift Long Add A Leafs
-Superlift Adjustable Trac-Bar
-Superlift Drop Pitman Arm
-Extended Stainless Brake Lines
-Daystar 14 Piece C-Bushing Kit
-Drop Radius Arm Brackets

Ill have to get shocks, make sway-bar links. I'd eventually like to extend the radius arms 12" with ballistic joints and toss the radius arm brackets.
Also get shackle flip brackets and remove the block/AAL, and look into drive-shaft issues.

Am I on the right track or is there a better option? Ive looked around till i got dizzy :p feel free to correct me!

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
As Ranger said, go with the lift springs rather than blocks. Another option is a shackle flip and add-a-leaf.

Also 38" tires are pushing for 1/2 ton running gear, if you get stuck in some mud or on rocks you may end up breaking stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply's :)

I don't really like blocks either, was planning to make or buy the shackle inversion kit, should give me about 4" so I can lose the blocks.

thanks for pointing that out :p, drums are defiantly dangerous on this rig. Ill be redoing all the lines, upgrading the calipers, new booster, adding disks and an adjustable proportioning valve.
was thinking of the brake kit from Broncograveyard, or making my own (using 1500 dodge rotors if i remember right) and non ebrake calipers. then mount a ebrake on the Np205.

yea I figured 38's would be at the limit, but I'm pretty sure ill be ok as long as i dont treat it like its on D60's :p.. don't mind using the winch instead of my gas pedal :)

lots of work ahead :)

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
E-brake on the output of your transfer case works awesome, in case you were wondering. What kit will you go with? I've only seen one caliper made for this but considered several that could PROBABLY be used. Wound up using High Angle's version. Which uses VERY soft pads. That I destroyed after half a second of forgetting to release it. If I could find a small vehicle caliper that would fit, it would be cheaper and not so unforgiving to dumb people.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
nice rig, and 38"s will fit easily with 6.5"s of lift.:thumbup
Yes they will fit, I run 37's with a 6" lift and on stock axles I would not go any bigger than 37's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply's :)

i picked up these 38" superswampers today :)

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I was looking at the high-angle kit but i also found these guys (http://www.tsmmfg.com/), ill have to keep looking into it. No other problems with the kit tho? how well did it hold the truck? I could see myself doing that, might have to wire a warning light in. :p

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
welcome to FSB, sounds like a awesome plan. you get a good deal on the 38's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I hope I'm on the right track with it, lots of information on this site :) Ill have to get a membership soon :) I got them with 90% tread left for 1000$, and put'em on some 10x15" rims I had been holding onto. Mounting them was fun lol, hard to seat the beads..

I was working on the truck a bit more today, just cleaning it up. took out the rear carpet, rear seat and a bunch of random wiring and lights. took off the cap and started to sand/paint spots that were starting to rust.
Also had to torch off the bent rear bumper, some genius welded the brackets right to the frame.

I'm thinking of painting the whole truck with bedliner :)

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
Look into some deaver springs both front and rear. If you go 6.5 inches your probably looking at having to get new shafts. Also do yourself and everyone else on the roads with you a favor and upgrade your brakes both front and rear. Drilled and slotted rotors at jeffs are pretty cheap and work well. And stop slacking fill out the rest of your info so people near ya recognize ya.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey,

Sorry for disappearing w/o any updates, I've been busy with "life issues" but have done some work on her.

enjoy the pics :)

Still havent fixed the hole in the floor, I like watching the tire o_O

Well halfway through the lift I find I'm looking at a 79 kingpin D60/Sterling 10.25, does this pinion angle look right? I thought it was shallow. the guy welded on D44 wedges and set it up for a 6 inch lift. no radius arm drop brackets? they should bolt right in... opinions on this please? ill post more over the weekend

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Hey man, I'm digging your Bronco. I really like the whole mud through the cab thing.:toothless Say....you might want to start a build thread, I bet you'll get lot more feedback and ideas, plus it's a good way to keep track of the little things you do here and there.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Hey man, I'm digging your Bronco. I really like the whole mud through the cab thing.:toothless Say....you might want to start a build thread, I bet you'll get lot more feedback and ideas, plus it's a good way to keep track of the little things you do here and there.
X2 on starting the build thread.

Any plans for the cancer on the rig or just going to let it rot?

Looking good though man :beer

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you seriously have the entire rear of the truck balanced on one jack stand while you're under there? Tell me my eyes are deceiving me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts