Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I was told its a 2002 F350 rear end at first, then after wards he said he didn't know what year it was, so, maybe :shrug

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Got some stuff done this morning...

Got the RA's mocked up and caster angle set

Then made the sides of the RA's level and tacked on the RA brackets

I pulled the axle back out from under it and will do the finish welding tonight or tomorrow morning hopefully, then as soon as the RA's get back from powder coat I can thrown the front end together :rockon

·
Registered
327 Posts
@ Zeus .. Yeah if that tube bends on the first good pot hole we are in real trouble with the long tube.
It does weaken the center section somewhat however the loads are transmitted through the radius arm mount right into the tube. That area is a very short section and very heavy wall Axel tube. And the tube is pressed a long way further into the center section.
I should have worded my concern differently. I'm not of the impression that the tube itself would bend but depending on how much farther the tube is seated into the center section, stress could crack the center section where the tube enters and cause the tube to be able to wiggle. I think its not much of a concern, just throwing it out there to see if it was something you guys had thought about. Others have done what you guys are doing and have never had a problem so it must not be a problem. Nice job on that rig though, looks like you guys have a great art up and some nice momentum. It's going to look sweet when the axles are done. Nothing could be better than a 78/79 with one ton running gear.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Thanks for the feedback Zeus, I definitely can see where your concern is coming from. It was a concern of mine aswell I was pretty weary of the idea at first. But, as you said, it's been done many many times with no issues from what I've seen. But, you have to be cautious about how much you take off because it does weaken the center section some.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
little update.

Got the shackle flip mounted

RA mounts fully welded and front end ready

Rear fenders trimmed. I plan on having my bumper wrap around the side of the truck and tie into the frame. And no, its not finished, I still have to cut off the inner fender support.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

And if you've ever wondered WHY that area is prone to rust...look what I found hanging out in my fender

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Yeah, I plan on building front and rear bumpers for it soon, we have a bender/tig etc so I don't see the point in paying someone to do it.

Here's a rough idea of what I' going for, I still have a couple other designs floating around in my head...

Oh, I almost forgot, I ordered a 6 point cage for it from "All For Fun Offroad" too, should be picking it up after next weeks hunting trip :beer

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I would love to build my own cage, and like I said, we have all the tools necessary to do so. But I just don't have the time. I'm leaving around January for basic training, and just don't have the time to get the rest of the truck done and build the entire cage.

Its a basic 6 point interior cage, so I will be adding on to it quite a bit. I plan on adding a rear "family cage" and making a center console that ties into the dash-bar and seatbelt-bar that will have my twin sticks/shifter/CB etc in it. And it only ran me around $300

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Well my radius arms arrived from getting re-powdercoated again... So I got some work done.

New Solid cover

Twin Stick

RA frame mounts

Lower coil pockets

On a set of 35's I got for free, they'll get me by until I can afford some real tires

Should be getting the trac-bar taken care of soon, then I can set it on its on weight :rockon

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Just where do all these "free-Bees" come from? ... is this an episode of Monster Garage?
more like "hand-me-downs" :toothless

379sinvb: Thanks! All I got to see was a little sample when I chose the color, so it was a bit of a shot in the dark, but I think it came out good.

Robs79BBbronco: Thank you! And, trust me, I cant wait to see it done either :histerica

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Thanks Jim! It should be smooth sailing once we get the trac-bar on the front end.

I don't have any pictures, but I twin stick-ed the T-case, just need to finish the linkage. I got the 205 mounted on the Transmission, and it looks like I'm going to have to massage the T-case cross member to clear the driveshafts and flanges. Ill have to get some pictures this weekend.

101 - 120 of 244 Posts