Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Got a little done this weekend...

Got the rear end under it (wood blocks are for mocking-up axle to set pinion angle until I can get shorter U-bolts)

To go from the Sterling's 1410 style flange to the superduty shaft I had to get a 1350 to 1410 conversion joint

Measured from flange to flange and decided the stock superduty shaft needed to be shortened about 1.5". So I ground the weld down on one side and popped the shaft's tube off, shortened it 1.5" and re-pressed it on. Then rolled it while measuring to make sure it was true, when I decided it was, we welded it up.

I also picked up some 45% tread 38x15.5 Tsl Radials on Weld wheels for $400 today too :toothless

·
Registered
382 Posts
nice clean weld, i thought most shafts were welded a few inches in so that you dont have to worry about upsetting the balance.

arnt the weights on the two ends(inside normally)?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
As far as I know this is how all shafts are welded up. The slip yoke portion of the shaft has a slug that the shaft tube slides onto and buts up to a shoulder, and that's where you weld. I'll get pictures to explain better when I build my front shaft.

379sinvb: If there is one thing I've learned from this project, its that there is no BIG project, just a bunch of small projects that add up to one big one. I'm hoping to have it done by new years day, its a HUGE day for wheeling up in the PNW.

Here's a picture of the bronco at what I hope will be ride height, on the new tires.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Well I wasn't happy with my shackle angle at all, at full droop it looked like the shackle could invert itself.

So I played with the shackle hangers a bit. I ended up moving the brackets forward 5" (utilizing two of the holes I had already drilled) and moved the shackle to the rear hole in the bracket, thus overall the shackle's mount was pushed forward 3".

Shackle angle at ride height

Shackle angle at full droop

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
Good catch on that one, when I get my new springs I will be moving my hanger forward as well to gain more droop and less lift.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Sorry I havent updated this in awhile, been pretty busy. I ended up having clearance issues with the front cv and the trans oil pan, so I had to move the T-Case back 3". To do that I had to pull the tranny and T-case and tear the c6 apart and put a 3" longer tail-shaft in it. So now I have the c6 just about finished up and ready to go back in. From there i'll have to make new T-case mounts since they've been relocated 3" back on the frame, aswell as re-shorten the rear driveshaft 3". I'll have to get some pictures up when I get a chance.

I ran across this on Craigslist and ended up buying it to drive around until this Bronco's 1-ton swap is done. 1979 Bronco, T-bird 429/c6/205 d44 and it had a 14 bolt rear when I got it. I swapped my old 9" in it so I have a matching bolt pattern again and can use the mtr's. Zero rust, origional paint, dual batterys, electric fans, Tom Woods high-angle driveline, 6" lift, blah blah blah... got it for $700 :toothless

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Well the trans crossmember needed some massaging to clear the front driveshaft, so we cut out the conflicting areas and added some tubing and plated it up. Its not 100% done, still need to plate the inside, but this gives you an idea.

and heres the trans/t-case all assembled, just waiting to finish the twin stick linkage.

hopefully more updates this weekend

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ran across this on Craigslist and ended up buying it to drive around until this Bronco's 1-ton swap is done. 1979 Bronco, T-bird 429/c6/205 d44 and it had a 14 bolt rear when I got it. I swapped my old 9" in it so I have a matching bolt pattern again and can use the mtr's. Zero rust, origional paint, dual batterys, electric fans, Tom Woods high-angle driveline, 6" lift, blah blah blah... got it for $700 :toothless

Sick deal on the new 79. Looks like I need to start surfing cl in Oregon for deals. Here in OKC I keep seeing lesser Bronco's going for $3k-$4k. I've decided to keep my 79 and just make it a 10 yr project and work harder this summer to make a lil more play money to have the frame sand blasted, treated and painted.

Y'all are hording Bronco's like it's Cash for Gold. :beer

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Thanks guys :beer

Heres a little more progress...

Got the cross member finished up

and made some Twin stick linkage

Pretty happy with how it came out, very tune-able and hardly any 'slop' :rockon

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #140

Well since my last update i've gotten the trans and T-case in, shortened the rear driveline 3", set the pinion angle and welded the spring perches, centered the axle and welded on the trac bar bracket, installed ra's coils and the trac bar. I still have alot to do, but its slowly coming together.

121 - 140 of 244 Posts