Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so far i have had my Bronco for 4 months and i have installed headers and ripped off the mufflers i want to go with the FIBK K&N set up next I have also added the underdrive pulleys but...

1.)They Under Drive Pulleys didnt charge the battery at idle. Is this a common problem?
2.)What is the biggest size tire i can go with on stock suspension, body height and bumpers.
3.)I want to swap in a bigger motor, but i also want to be able to pass NYS emissions. Is the Biggest Motor the Bronco/F-series came with, a 351 or was there bigger besides the Powerstroke?

I am aware that i might be flamed for these questions, but in actuality, i did search.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For tires, you could fit 31's no problem, 32's with some trimming. I'm pretty sure about that.

Engines.....there are many things you can do. You could build up on yours to make it stronger, or do what you want and get a bigger one. I know there are people who take 460s out of 70's broncos and pickups that swap them in. Or you could just do get a 351w, 351c, or 351m. Too many to choose from. Depends on how much you can spend.
I know if you tried searching again, search different words, you'd have a lot better luck.
......Anyone else can help out as well!!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
i've got 33's on my stock height 91 fullsize. No rubbing except on inner (radius arm?) on extreme lock to lock turning, and it's minor.

·
Registered
273 Posts
QUOTE=Cooter Bleu "Cajun"
1.)They Under Drive Pulleys didnt charge the battery at idle. Is this a common problem?
2.)What is the biggest size tire i can go with on stock suspension, body height and bumpers.
3.)I want to swap in a bigger motor, but i also want to be able to pass NYS emissions. Is the Biggest Motor the Bronco/F-series came with, a 351 or was there bigger besides the Powerstroke?QUOTE]

Welcome to FSB.
1. Yes, under drive pulleys are designed for high revving engines that spend most of their time at high rpms. They reduce the parasytic losses at high rpms by turning the auxillary equipment (A/C, power steering, water pump) slower. You will find that the steering will be harder at idle compared to the stock set up. In this case, big heavy 4x4, the disadvantages of the under drive pullies out way the advantages.
2. See this thread: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17022
3. I am not familiar with NYS so I cannot help you.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
1. Welcome to FSB.

2. Underdrive pullys are for Mustangs, not big heavy 4x4 trucks.

3. Search, but the awnser is a 32" with no triming or rubbing.

5. The 351w is the largest engine that was avalable in your year.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Cooter Bleu "Cajun" said:
3.)I want to swap in a bigger motor, but i also want to be able to pass NYS emissions. Is the Biggest Motor the Bronco/F-series came with, a 351 or was there bigger besides the Powerstroke?
There is no such thing as a dumb question, just a dumb answer ;) .

You should have no problem with NYS emissions. They should do the usual safety checks and then they plug into your code reader plug. If everything is OK there, it passes. They may do a visual on the engine and as long as it doesn't look like you stripped it bare, it should pass.

Yes, 351 is the largest engine that came stock in a Bronco. You might be better off building that engine up rather than trying to swap in a 460. The 460 is heavier and would require you to beef up your front suspension, change motor mounts, etc. However, depending on what you plan to do up front, that may be minor crap. I'm sure there are other things to consider with a 460 swap, but I have never done it and that is the extent of my misinformation on the subject.

Good luck,

:thumbup

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
B_Cheetah23 said:
Or you could just do get a 351w, 351c, or 351m.
351W is almost a direct swap. 351C never came in an American Bronco(still not convinced it came in any Bronco but that's beside the point) and the 351M wasn't an option for his year either, which would mean a lot of changes like going from EFI to carb, big block transmission, exhaust re-routing and the list goes on.
If you want to go BIG than go with a 460, which will also mean a new trans but if you just want more power, you can get a lot of power out of a 351W(many of us have done this).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow thanks all. I knew it was a good i dea joining this group. As soon as i i start anything major i will let yall. know. Do you really think i should switch the 5.0 with a 5.8. or can i get a good amount of power out of it as well.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Cooter Bleu "Cajun" said:
Oh wow thanks all. I knew it was a good i dea joining this group. As soon as i i start anything major i will let yall. know. Do you really think i should switch the 5.0 with a 5.8. or can i get a good amount of power out of it as well.
If you want power (in a smallblock), you want the 5.8.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I wanted to mention, I do indeed have 32's on my bronco, not 33's as I mentioned. the 33's would def rub a lot more, since the current 32's, JUST skate by ok.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Not to Impose but my 79 Came Stock with a 460 and a highboy lift. with 35s From the dealership brand new. but thats besides the point You can also fit 33s on your depending on the brand. I had 33inch wild countrys and I had no problem rubbing on my stock 89. but when I put them on my 84 they rubbed stock.
Iwould the under drive pullys off. your bronc isnt ment for that I also had them on my mustang and had cooling problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
stock 5.8

I have a 95 Bronco that definitely has a 5.8 / 351. I am quite sure it was stock, as the vehicle was completely unmodified when I bought it at 46,000 miles. The tailgate and grill look different than a regular XLT, they are painted to match the truck. There is no metallic rectangle on the tailgate. I have heard this refered to as the sport model but I am not sure. What makes you say that Bronco was never offered with a 351, Navy Nuke? Am I missing something here?

-I retract my comment, I see now that you were referring to the C versus the W. I definitely have a Windsor, so I stand corrected. That's what comes with short attention span reading.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
1clean5.8 said:
Not to Impose but my 79 Came Stock with a 460 .
Interesting, either they offered it in 79 or it was a special build, 78 & 79 being unique in their own right. 460 was not offered in the 80's.

:thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts