Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, this is a LONG story, so buckle your seat belts and get ready :D...

it all started out this afternoon when me and my friend david decided to go work on some trails that we've been frequenting lately, we are gonna try and build some sort of mud pit, anyway, his mid 80's S10 gets stuck back there and we have no way to get it out, so we walk back to my house (only a mile or so) and as we get there we realize that my dodge dakota 4x4 is missing, so i'm like "uh, shit, what are we gonna pull you out with, my bronco doesn't have plates or registration yet", well i remembered a lil while afterwards that my mom and brother (just got his learners permit license) were driving to detriot (about an hr and a half to 2 hours away with my brother driving) to pick up my grandma from the airport, so they weren't gonna be home for awhile, so i called up my mom and asked her if she'd be terribly mad if i drove the bronco out to pull david out and she said no... so we jump in and head off to the trails... i get backed up and start pullin on his S10, its proving to be more stuck than we thought, so i lock the hubs, shift it into 4 wheel drive and give'er hell, but its not doin any better than it did in 2 wheel, and then i notice david yelling at me, come to find out, my front tires are spinning, so we check the hubs again, make sure its in 4, and try it again, NOTHING, so now i'm pist, i JUST bought this truck and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work (which the guy said it worked just fine, RIIIIIIIGHT)... so we drive both vehicles back to my house and proceed to jack up the bronco to see whatsup, so we get everything taken off and are inspecting it, and come to find out, the dude i bought it from put the hubs together wrong, and the little gear that engages with the driveshaft was put in there backwards (its a warn hub BTW), so we quickly fix it and are trying to think of a way to test it out, we scratch the idea of putting all 4 tires on jackstands for liability purposes lol, and decide to just take it back out to the trails and do a hill climb, if all 4 wheels spin, we fixed it, if not, someone is gettin a call tomorow and i'm gettin a refund lol... so we head back out to the trails and are dodging all of the nasty ruts because we aren't sure if the 4 wheel drive works yet or not, but end up sinking the rear passenger tire into the driver side rut of a set of ruts, so we get out, lock the hubs, and put it in 4, good news is, ALL TIRES ARE SPINNING, yay, we fixed it, bad news, front passenger tire slips into the rut and dumps me down on BOTH axles, so now i'm super stuck and am not budging an inch, what a BITCH... so we try for a lil while to get it out to no avail, call a few ppl and noone can come help us, so i call my moms cell phone and ask if she is back from detriot yet, and she is, so i tell her to meet us at the start of the trail so we can go get davids tow strap and possibly pull out my bronco with my dakota, so we go get the tow strap and are coming back on the trails when we notice a set of head lights behind us, i'm thinkin YES, someone else that can help, so i get out and talk to them and he is willing to help us, he's in a full size jimmy with some 33's, we end up snapping daves tow strap cus it was cut a lil bit on one end, so i ask the guy if he was just out here on his own or if he had some backup plan if he got stuck, so he say's "hold on, lemme call my backup plan" haha, so he gets his buddy in a 1997 suburban to come out with 35" tires, his buddy has another tow strap and FINALLY pulls my bronco out, they were really cool guy's and wanted me and dave to stick around and bog with them for a lil while (it was gettin dark, they are hardcore lol), so my mom drove my dodge home and me and dave stuck around and had some fun with them... it was a great time minus the part where i was sure i would have to leave my truck there overnite, but other than that, a BLAST...

enjoy my story :D

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,920 Posts
well sounds like ya had a bad and good time with the bko and well shame on you for not having a camera with you at all times inthe bko just remember always carry a camera in the bko for those well ummmmmmmm ya know what i am saying

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
ummmm....your 4 wheel drive is working....

so i lock the hubs, shift it into 4 wheel drive and give'er hell, but its not doin any better than it did in 2 wheel, and then i notice david yelling at me, come to find out, my front tires are spinning, so we check the hubs again, make sure its in 4, and try it again, NOTHING
broncos are rear wheel drive.....that means that if you turn on four wheel drive and the front tires spin...your in 4 wheel drive. Your front tires were spinning cuse they werent getting traction not because you wernt in 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no seriously, the 4 wheel drive wasn't working, when we had the wheels off we would lock the hubs and spin the rotor and it would not spin the driveshaft, they were not engaging, the little gear that gets pushed back to connect the wheel to the driveshaft was in there backwards and wasn't fully engaging the 4 wheel drive, it wasn't just a lack of traction, cus the front tires would have been the ones that had the most traction between the front and back, the guy just put everything together wrong lol, and then me, who has never really worked on any 4x4 digs right in and figures it out and fixes it in like 20 minutes including diagnosis lol...

and gearrat don't worry, we got like 3 min. worth of video of me trying to get out, but it didn't work :( lol, i'll get it uploaded at some point, me and my friends are gonna put together a compilation so you guys will get more than you can handle of the bronco haha... oh, and i just got done buying 2 tow hooks to hook to my frame (ya, we had a lil trouble with that tonite lol, ended up taking the front bumper off), a 30 ft tow strap with a 18K lb load capacity, and a manual winch, so hopefully next time i'll be prepared and not have to factor in leaving the bronco out on the trails overnite...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts