Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i ran a search but could not really come up with anyone with the same problems. i have a 96xl fullsize with the 5.0 and 5 speed. the truck is stock except for 31's the truck also has 59,000 miles on it (all road miles). anyway when i am driving slowly in 1st like trying to park in a lot, my front end creeks and pops slightly while turning tight. if my windows are down i cant really nitice it but if you are outside or have the windows down you can hear it pretty clear. i have greased the front end, (at ford zerks) but that did not seam to matter. i have also done a visual inspection under.

could this be my spindal needle bearings? or maybe the ttb pivot points? i have checked the radius arm mounting rivits and bushings, they both look good, is there a spray greese i can use on those pivot bushings and the radius arms?

i appriciate all the help you may be able to provide.

thanks in advance
BYRON

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Are you talking about a squeak?? Alot of Fords I've owned all through the years have been bad about squeaking, and alot of them I've been able to fix just by tightining my shocks and/or spraying lithium grease on the shock bushings...your problem may be more along the lines of the other stuff, but check the shocks, it's free and it may fix your problem....:shrug

·
Super Moderator
14,762 Posts
Shane, he described it as a "slight pop"... I had that noise at one time or another. My bearings were shot and so was one of my spindles, so I would check all of that just to be on the safe side. Pull your hubs first to see what they look like then check out your u-joints as well. If you can find the source and everything still works, I'd leave it.

·
0 Posts
Yeah, i know of the squeak and pop. I found the bastard and killed it.

Right where the crossmember is riveted to the frame on the drivers side the steering box puts loads of pressure on it. Thanks to rivets, the crossmember would move a bit and squeak/pop.

Laid a fat weld to the crossmember where it meets the frame. Fixed. Took me 6 months of cursing to find that little SOB.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the ideas,

the shocks are new (500) miles on them it made noise before and after so i dont think that is it but i will look.

i just did brakes and a wheel bearing re-pack and i assembled everything back to spec. if i remember right it did that before i did the brakes. to tell you the truth it has done it the whole time i have owned it (1yr). i will check out that steering box crossmember bracket that chickentaco suggested. any other ideas?

i was thinking of spraying down the ttb pivot points and radius arm bushings with silicone lube and see if that helps. is this a bad idea?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
94_chickentaco said:
Right where the crossmember is riveted to the frame on the drivers side the steering box puts loads of pressure on it. Thanks to rivets, the crossmember would move a bit and squeak/pop.
:stupid

·
Registered
261 Posts
Also check the bushing conditions on your radius arms and that all bolts are tight. I had a bolt on the drivers side I beam that was loose and would pop while in reverse and turning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will check all of those things ....does lithium grease come in a spray can (like wd40), i think that is the only way that anything is getting in that tight space.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts