Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to install the new metal tank and 255lph walbro pump yesterday.... to start things off my buddy decides hes gonna drop the skid plate while im not looking(he thought the tank had straps)... he gets the next to last bolt out and down comes the tank and skid on his arm with 25gallons of fuel everywhere...nice... he cut his hand, but is okay...2 gallons of gas are now coating my driveway

fast forward to today...heres the bad part

so i manage to wiggle the new empty metal tank up into the bronco myself with one arm...tanks up everythings hooked up... soldered on the weatherpack connectors to the truck harness and clipped them onto the new connectors i installed to the pump... go to fire it up.. no prime...

hmmmm

so i go back, pull the FP connector apart and find that i have 12v at truck side of connector during prime cycle.. messed around with it for a lil until finally i just grabbed some 10ft lengths of 16g wire and jumped the pump side connector from the battery on dads truck... WZZZZ! fuel shoots everywhere... ok pump still works...hmmm
hook the connectors back up... try to prime...still nothing

finally i got so frustrated... i cut the weatherpack connectors out and soldered the truck side pump + and - directly to the new pump wiring... try to prime...nothing... get back under with the multimeter and hit the remote start button... no prime AND NO 12V!!!!:banghead wtf whered my power go???? i get out, reset inertia and swap FP relays...back under.. still no 12V...sigh

jump it from battery... pump runs... take two 16g wires and "T" off the pump ground to two sides of the frame rails and bolts... (i was suspecting a ground problem) hit the start button... NO 12V...

im done for the night... i managed to lose 12V power while removing a connector from the circuit...:cry

dc

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
to start things off my buddy decides hes gonna drop the skid plate while im not looking(he thought the tank had straps)
so did Stang :toothless :rofl:

that sucks though

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone know amps to run the FP???

in reality my multimeter read 9v...not 12v... but its fast and the meter doesnt usually pick it up...(cheapy craftsman)...ill let ya know tommroow

dc

·
Premium Member
8,517 Posts
anyone know amps to run the FP???

in reality my multimeter read 9v...not 12v... but its fast and the meter doesnt usually pick it up...(cheapy craftsman)...ill let ya know tommroow

dc
I had a problem like that and I resolved it by bypassing the factory 12volt pump wire and spicing a new one in at the firewall, looks like I had a break in the wire somewheres along the frame and I suspect you do to. May have been corroded and broke when it got pulled from the work you did. trace it back to the firewall and do what I did.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Check the Fuel Pump Relay too......

Go to this post and check the #7 reply from Steve83 for pics and fixes.

~CLICK~

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks boss... yea i was thinking of tracing it all the way back and re-wireing... did you use 16g or bigger???

maybe ill jsut tap in at the inertia switch and shoot a new power wire to the pump... where did you ground the pump?? im not sure where exactly the factory wire grounds it... i may just make a ground on the frame for it

dc

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,526 Posts
Don't know if the ground goes to the frame at the tank (changed mine 3 years ago and I can't [email protected]#$ing remember) but if you run a ground back up to the engine compartment, make sure it's the same gauge as the power wire.

·
Premium Member
8,517 Posts
thanks boss... yea i was thinking of tracing it all the way back and re-wireing... did you use 16g or bigger???

maybe ill jsut tap in at the inertia switch and shoot a new power wire to the pump... where did you ground the pump?? im not sure where exactly the factory wire grounds it... i may just make a ground on the frame for it

dc
I would use at least a 14g. My ground was still good, but wouldn't hurt to T into it and connect to the frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts