Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well when I tore down my 95 to replace the engine I was AMAZED how BAD the stock Ypipe/cats were!!! Im suprised the motor eaven ran!!!! Tiny pipes, bad bends, and crimps..YUCK! Well not having the cash to go topline aftermarket, and having some equpiment, and a little skill, I decided to build my own pipe. :D

here is the stock pipe...

I started with some mandral bends, and a Flowmaster 2 into one collector....

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Decided at that time to go with 2 1/2 headpipes....

Had a day or two off during the week, and got a little time in. Had to build a adapter pipe to go down to the still good Flowmaster catback that was on the truck, and took a lot of time figuring out where the collector wanted to be. After much trial and error, I got it to a place that allowed easy pipe routing, and still enough clearance for the tranny lines. [MAN that e40d is HUGE!!!!!!!]

Started running some pipes.... Well ended up that the pass side was pretty tight between the engine, frame, starter etc. To make my life a little easer I ended up going with 2 1/4 off the header, stepped up to 2 1/2 at the collector. The driver side will still be 2 1/2. I figured with the longer pipe, and more bends, if anything it will help eaven the flow between the two banks. [that my story, and I am sticking to it. :D]

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well no pic's yet, but the driver side, I got the mounting flange tacked to the first 90deg bend of the head pipe. Ran out of time, and have not attached it to the collector yet. More to come hopefully tonight...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
5,475 Posts
Nice. My 96 is the same color combo as yours... its really looks great when its detailed.

The only good thing about the stock y pipe is its pretty durable.. good quality metal.

How much do you think your custom y pipe is going to cost, without including the price of a new high flow cat.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice. My 96 is the same color combo as yours... its really looks great when its detailed.

The only good thing about the stock y pipe is its pretty durable.. good quality metal.

How much do you think your custom y pipe is going to cost, without including the price of a new high flow cat.
Price??? Well not counting some parts I got, but will end up not needing....

About $40 for the collector, $8 each for the mounting flanges, 20ish each for the bends, a few other misc parts... add anouther 20 so.....a little over 100, and wayyy under 150.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,313 Posts
Man you're off to a great start s1120 !

I'd kill for a close up of that reducing pipe you fabbed up there, looks great.

The driver's side is basically two 90 degree bends, but there are two subtle tweaks to remember.

Off the manifold (or shorty) it's closer to 105 degrees than 90. That is to say it tilts past 90 towards the driver's frame rail another say 15 degrees past true 90.

The other tweak you may not see in the pic below, is yes it's 90 degrees from under the pan to the run into the Flowmaster "Y", but..... it kicks upward ever so slightly 4 to 5" before it enters the "Y".

Hope these help you on the driver's side, but yours will be slightly different as I'm just snaking around a smaller AOD, compared to your E4OD.

Keep up the pics and the great work ! Your thread could be a major asset to everyone wanting an affordable Y-pipe.

Do you need cats where you live s1120 ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks six!!! I will try to get a better pic of that adapter pipe.

Ya, I was working on that first bend off the header!! Im pretty close but still a little more to go. From the look of how the pipe/collector sits, I THINK I can do a nice streight into the collector.

Been pretty cold here, and I am working outside.

As for the cat... Ya, we should have one, and I will be adding one sooner or later, but for now, I just have the streight pipe. I left room for onr though.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,313 Posts
Been pretty cold here, and I am working outside.

As for the cat... Ya, we should have one, and I will be adding one sooner or later, but for now, I just have the streight pipe. I left room for onr though.
It's tight under there alright

I'd never have been able to get this 36" Walker truck muffler under there;

If it hadn't been for the fact the single cat was only 14" long. It wouldn't have worked with the stock two cat set up, but then again none of us want to keep that uber-restrictive set up.

Heck that's why you're freezin' your nads off under your truck in Januray, right ?

Best of luck and keep up the good work. Got a protractor to show the pipes against, for angles for the fellers?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I love not having to run cats :beer The advantages of a 28 year old truck ;)

Nice job man, looking great so far!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,313 Posts
I love not having to run cats :beer The advantages of a 28 year old truck ;)

Nice job man, looking great so far!
My single 3" cat is there, but..........

it's hollow:toothless As mine is over 20 and don't get sniffed no mo' :chili:

The empty cat isn't reducing flow and it's "there" for any nosey [email protected]$turds that care to look (hope old Eddie bleeds fluids all over them:goodfinge).

Sixlitre

·
Registered
73 Posts
loving this thread i need to do something similar to this hopefully on my own b/c i don't trust the exhaust shops around here at all, a lot of this going on :red x

·
Practicing Infidel
15,313 Posts
loving this thread i need to do something similar to this hopefully on my own b/c i don't trust the exhaust shops around here at all, a lot of this going on :red x
Yep s1120 is doing us all a major service by doing this step by step !

Even if you don't weld (like me, my welding brother moved 350 miles away 10 years ago, [email protected]$turd !:banghead), you can still do this.

If you clamp or even drill and fasten each pipe, after fitting, with a sheet metal screw you'll be good enough to take it off to a welder ( my neighbour:toothless, or my mechanic buddy:toothless, or my two welder buddies:toothless).

Go s1120 go !!!!!!

Sixlitre

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,994 Posts
s1120 nice work.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys!!

Havent done anything the last week. Been wicked busy, and cold. Hope to get more done this weekend!

·
Registered
307 Posts
A Reddy Heater does work outside. We had one blowing under my sons car and we were outside in the snow. If you have one or know someone with one it made a huge difference feeling a little heat on us.

Like seeing the merged y-pipe going in. My rigs prior exhaust had it's exaust t'd together and it looked horrible.

Keep posting pics.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,313 Posts
A Reddy Heater does work outside. We had one blowing under my sons car and we were outside in the snow. If you have one or know someone with one it made a huge difference feeling a little heat on us.
You know it

Sometimes just throwing a tarp over the vehicle and pointing the salamander underneath will retain tons of heat.

I used to close up the two car garage and fire that 30,000 BTU fans driven kerosene unit up and I could have it up to 70 degrees, from -30 in half an hour.

Now I just flick on the radiant floor heating(see pipes on top of styroam;

Now under concrete;

It's THE cat's @$$ for heat, where you want it (in the floor !).

Sixlitre

p.s./
That heater in the lower pic is 125,000 BTUs (it's my buddy's and it's thirsty !)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice floor six!!! I sooooo want one!!!

I have a heater in my shop, but shes FULL!!!!!! With a 72LTD, a 70 Mustang, two torn apart snowblowers, and all the tools, I can barly fit myself in there!!!!! Temp is not the biggest problem though. Time is. I have a high maintance 5 year old, and a 19 month old in the house. Time is scarce!!!!

1 - 20 of 273 Posts