·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is my thread on RDC incase you want to see my earlier pictures.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38193

I copied and pasted the links to here thinking they would show up as pictures but they show up as links, does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is it because I am doing it from RDC and a picture hosting site?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Use the picture link and then paste it.
Those are some nice welds. That shackle and leaf setup is sick.

Here, fixed them for ya.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am doing the work myself, I work at Desertworks Fabrication in San Dimas CA as a fabricator. We mostly build Rhinos and other UTV's but we have some truck projects going as well. After I put in my eight hours a day I stay after hours and work on it until midnight.

Thanks for the complements everyone.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am doing the work myself, I work at Desertworks Fabrication in San Dimas CA as a fabricator. We mostly build Rhinos and other UTV's but we have some truck projects going as well. After I put in my eight hours a day I stay after hours and work on it until midnight.

Thanks for the complements everyone.
Nice work. That makes for some long days at the shop I'll bet but thats the way to do it. Keep up the good work.:thumbup

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve- I sold the Jeep about a year and a half ago. After building the long-arm front end at Wyotech I brought it home and had more plans for it but never got to them. I really didn't like working on that thing at all. I between the Jeep and the Bronco I also had an F-100 that was a bare cab and frame but I never got to start on it so I got rid of it a couple of months ago and now I got a sweet Bronco.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The Bronco will be way more fun. Good call.

It's a little too late for this, but it would have been a really good idea to replace the body mounts before building the cage. They're typically hammered (mine are) and the bodies are not level on the frame.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thanks for that info, I really had no idea. I asked my friend who I bought it from why he tore the entire core support and everything off of the front end and he said that first off he wanted it all tube anyway, but that the body mounts up there were shot. That should have been a clue to me, lol. Oh well, hopefully it will be alright, but should I predict some cracking where the cage goes through the floor?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
hould I predict some cracking where the cage goes through the floor?
That depends on how rigid the cage is. I think it'll be OK, but if it's not a ton of work to correct, I would do it now.

My Bronco is a two-owner (including me) vehicle, it was garaged most of it's life and was literally driven by a little old lady. Like I said before, the body mounts are hammered. New urethane mounts are high on my to-do list.

Does the rear cage tube terminate on the shackle bracket?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As it is right now, it does terminate as the double shear for the shackle. There will be a tube that connects with the frame as well but it won't be in place until I take the leaf pack apart and cycle the rearend to make sure it won't get in the way of anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to run a third fullsize bucket in the back, I don't want anymore than 3 people in it. Thanks for the compliments, your Bronco is looking very nice as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some more pictures from the past couple of weeks, got most of the back of the truck done. I'm sorry for the quality of some of the pictures, the lighting in the shop is bad but I will try to get some better pics of things for you guys.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Looking great Eric. I like the way you built around the seat area. Very clean and structurally sound. Are you planning to plate it or leave it open?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to plate around that whole shock mount area, but not right away. It's not really nesseccary, just for looks so I am probably going to get it on the wheels and driving before I go back and finish that area. Right now I am just going to cap the shock mounting plates. Eventually I want to cut out the entire rear fender area and tub it in with sheetmetal and sealing it off.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got a few more pictures for you guys. I haven't done a ton since San Felipe, too much "real" work. Anyway, here they are. Got the beams 95% done accept cutting out the rubber bushings they pivot on and replacing them with uniballs. I also picked up an OEM style fiberglass dash a couple of weeks ago. The engine cage tubes came from another project in the shop and because they are rusty they were going to get thrown away, but since they are made exactly the way I wanted to do the engine cage and they are expensive material (4130) that was free, I decided to just use them and give them some TLC with a few Scotchbrite pads and a wire brush. Was hoping to have her ready to prerun the Baja 500, but I'll be lucky if I even get to drive it out of the shop by then.

P.S. If anyone has 4.88 gears for a D44 front and a 9" rear for a good price let me know. I'm also looking for a spool for the 9" as well.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts