Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long ago I noticed that my drivers side rear rim had two lug nuts that were starting to rust... very strange, not like they have been taken off in a while not sure why they would JUST be rusting now...

Yesterday we had alot of rain, I came out and at first I thought someone or something used my rim as a toilet, then I realized that my lugnuts were actually recreating the "worst date ever" allover my rims :duh

So what can I do to stop this from happening, its enough cleaning brake dust off the front rims I dont want to have to clean rust off the rear one to... Either that or Ill just live with it until i can afford new rims...

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
They're just thin caps pressed onto the ends of the lug nuts. If they're loose enough, water will collect inside them then leak out which you're obviously seeing.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They're just thin caps pressed onto the ends of the lug nuts. If they're loose enough, water will collect inside them then leak out which you're obviously seeing.
Ah ok, they are like my marauder lugnuts then, just shiny chrome caps :rofl:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yep, chrome cqps. they ain't cheap, but anytime I put lug nuts on a vehicle I'm going to keep for a while I buy stainless lug nuts. Gorillas are great, but brace yourself. They aren't cheap. A set of 20 will run you up to $60. To me it's worth it not to deal with rusting crap a year later.
swamp

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Just when I thought I had forgotten about the worst date ever thread, I get pulled back in. x3 or 4, clean studs and... use a wheel sealant. Personally I use Zaino ZAIO and Z2pro on my wheels, but that wheel sealant is very popular. They have cheaper ones too. A sealant will prevent the rust from etching your wheels and will make it real easy to wipe or just rinse off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts