Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'90 bronco- 351w- I installed JBA shorty Headers, Bassani Y-pipe, 3in. catco cats, and the mandrel bent tail pipe from Autozone. What a huge difference this system makes, I didn't bother installing the 3in. Flowtech Afterburner muffler that I had intended because the sound levels didn't require it at all , It just ain't loud. The truck requires very little gas peddle to leave a redlight and actually feels like it WANTS to go instead of just making it go, I'm sure this will translate into much better gas mileage- Thanks to the guys on this website for tolerating my "A.D.D." and asking questions that were already asked, THANKS FELLAS !

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a full interior and it helps hide the insane sound waves that the TSL's put out so im sure its helping with the exhaust note. I went with 2 cats because thats what the truck came with, in california they will nail you on ANYTHING when it comes to passing smog even if the emissions read clean-. I ran the truck without the cats on and with them on and you could really smell the difference that the cats make, much cleaner.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
but I ran the headers to y-pipe to cat with no muffler for about a week and it was insanely mean/loud.
I ran it like that also for a few days, It was so loud it turned about everyone's head. I had to barely press the gas when going by cops so that it wouldn't be so loud that I got pulled over.

I lost low end power doing that, till I put a muffler and tailpipe on it. I had stock manifolds though.

I see the tailpipe turning into a 3" turn down in the future.

351w500, give your exhaust about 500 miles to break in and you will see easier accelerating, mpg, and it will even sound better after break in.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I ran it like that also for a few days, It was so loud it turned about everyone's head. I had to barely press the gas when going by cops so that it wouldn't be so loud that I got pulled over.

I lost low end power doing that, till I put a muffler and tailpipe on it. I had stock manifolds though.
Yeah I noticed the same thing. As awesome as it sounded without a muffler, it had a lot more lower end power and better mileage with the muffler on. It still sounds good though.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cant post pics as my parents kids are kinda stupid, Bonzai, you passed smog by the numbers and thats all that matters really, i am just paranoid about "the man" lookin under my truck and goin' all cali on me-

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I cant post pics as my parents kids are kinda stupid, Bonzai, you passed smog by the numbers and thats all that matters really, i am just paranoid about "the man" lookin under my truck and goin' all cali on me-
Well they all look, but i guess as long as he saw 1 cat it was enough for him. So i passed visual and by the sniffer.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be correct, Bassani should have made a provision like a sleeve with the air tube nipple in it so we could have run the first cat and THEN the air tube, then the second cat. By the way I went wheeling and there is more power AND better mileage ! Anyone who has seen what the inside of the stock exhaust manifolds looks like will understand why all the gains are to be had from these upgrades.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.