Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

same on the other side also. Not flush, but it doesnt stick out past the fenderwells....the subs arent extreme, 200 watt rms and 1000 peak and my amp is almost the same (175 rms, to try to prevent blowing up)....so whatchall think?

(also got some 6x9s in the back i gotta fab up..)

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
skipthedrummer said:

same on the other side also. Not flush, but it doesnt stick out past the fenderwells....the subs arent extreme, 200 watt rms and 1000 peak and my amp is almost the same (175 rms, to try to prevent blowing up)....so whatchall think?

(also got some 6x9s in the back i gotta fab up..)
It probably will sound like crap, way too much speaker vs. no actual interior volume to the box. Perhaps if it was vented, but I'd have to go review the whole speaker box design crap to recommend that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it only needs one cubic feet of volume for operating (as recomended by kenwood), and i have about 6 inches from the front of the speaker box behind it...which is plently morethan 1 cubic foot....so, no.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is that plywood? If so, I would use some MDF (sp? something like that) It will hold up better from what I've seen.

Otherwise, looks good.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
skipthedrummer said:
it only needs one cubic feet of volume for operating (as recomended by kenwood), and i have about 6 inches from the front of the speaker box behind it...which is plently morethan 1 cubic foot....so, no.
Is it an actual thin plywood box then, i.e. there is a plywood backing/complete enclosure?

·
Registered
312 Posts
ok first off there is way 2 much open space in a bronco to not have a ported box i have 4 kicker l7s 12s and they sounded like shit and dident hit hard at all untill i put them in a ported box u need the air 2 be able to push in that much open space if ur going for sound its not that great sorry 2 say but if u want 2 tell every one u have 2 12s thats cool
(not trying 2 be a dick just letting u know)

·
Registered
523 Posts
nvme_63 said:
ok first off there is way 2 much open space in a bronco to not have a ported box i have 4 kicker l7s 12s and they sounded like shit and dident hit hard at all untill i put them in a ported box u need the air 2 be able to push in that much open space if ur going for sound its not that great sorry 2 say but if u want 2 tell every one u have 2 12s thats cool
(not trying 2 be a dick just letting u know)

Porting a box has NOTHING to do with the type of vehicle you drive and EVERYTHING to do with the type of woofer you are running. If the box is designed per the WOOFER MANUFACTERURES specs it will sound good. If you dont, they wont...plain and simple. It has nothing to do with "pushing air"...sorry. not trying 2 be a dick just letting YOU know.

MDF wood is a must for sub boxes...at least 3/4 inch for 90% of the applications and some seriously crazy output subs will benefit from one inch MDF.

The more you time you take building your enclosure the better it will sound. Seal it up air tight....take the time to coat the inside with ( a thin coat of) fiberglass resin and let it dry...use a product called "Deflex" panels from Dynamat on the inside etc. The less flex your box has the better your subs will sound. A little bit of Dynamat in Key areas never hurt anything either!
Good luck!

Jax-The car audio MASTER!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Almost don't want to touch this because of all the "Experts" in this thread, but I will against my better judgment.

1. WTF is MDF going to do that is going to be so superior to plywood???? Even at 175w per side that plywood is going to be stable enough for what he's doing. That's assuming that the amp is rated at 175 x 2 @ 4 ohm and not 175 bridged at 2 ohm. Anyway, it's not like were talking about kilowatts here.

2. Professional audio loudspeaker cabinets are made out of plywood. Ask any bass guitarist if he/she would rather have an MDF cab or plywood cab. Granted they use low void birch, and they use it because it's not so back-breakingly heavy and it’s stronger. I've even owned a name brand cab (rated at 400w rms with a 15") that much to my dismay was made out of particle board. It sounded fine though. My point is, building a pro-audio cab out of MDF is like building a roll cage out of pipe. Building the cab out of low void, 13 ply birch is like building a cage out of DOM.

Sure, I would have built it out of MDF, but only because it’s cheap and easy to find, and that doesn't mean the plywood won't work. Just make sure it's sealed up real well with silicone. Then stuff it full of polyfill and cover it with some carpet and it will be fine.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
1. MDF doesnt flex as much as plywood and its denser, thats why it is perfered.

2. Even well built ported boxes have a tuned range, drop below or above that frequincy and they become verry inneficiant and the ports can start making a claping noise runing the sound.

3. I personaly perfer a Complety sealed box (per sub) using the air space recomended by the manufacturer. It's a little more power hungry, but there the same eficiancy at any range, and to me they sound better.

4. Any Sub box will hit harder if ther is somthing about 6" from the woofer for the Bass to bounce off of.

5. Yams suck!

6. You guys shouldnt knock the guy so much. It's probably his first box. He will make better ones later.

Heck my first box was an old set of house sterio speakers boxes with the original 8ohm house speakers that came in them hooked up to a little 4ohm Spark-o-matic amp/EQ that was 200watts :histerica

Yea more like 200wats total and 2wats RMS :histerica

Now I build stuff like this.

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
One of the reasons people port boxes is because a ported box will sound good no matter what you have done with the box. And yes you will get a hell of alot of bass!

Above all I concurr with gack I have made boxes outta waffer board that have sound decent. BTW good design I like it. I guess Im going to have to put my 15S back in.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Gacknar said:
1. MDF doesnt flex as much as plywood and its denser, thats why it is perfered.
Yes and so are concreete, lead, gold etc. But, like I said, it's not going to matter at that wattage.

Gacknar said:
5. Yams suck!
Only if they are in a ported box! :twak

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
MajSuckelton said:
Yes and so are concreete, lead, gold etc. But, like I said, it's not going to matter at that wattage.
I'm just saying thats why it's preferred. It's extremely stiff for it's wait, and when building a good box you want as little deflection as passable.

I bult a few boxes before I built my first good one :toothless :histerica

Concrete is a little heavy for a box. Although team Gates did fill the side panels and doors of there Bronco with it from what I'm told.

Lead and gold, wile very dense just aren't strong enough to build a box from and it too would be a bit heavy. :toothless

MajSuckelton said:
Only if they are in a ported box! :twak
I must humbly disagree.

Yams suck period :histerica

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
Gacknar said:
Heck my first box was an old set of house sterio speakers boxes with the original 8ohm house speakers that came in them hooked up to a little 4ohm Spark-o-matic amp/EQ that was 200watts :histerica

]

haha glad i wasent the only one that did that...:histerica

I perfer the sound of a sealed box as well. if its built to the correct size thats recommended for the speaker they sound great.

1 12" hits way harder than I really need but perfect for the bronco

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
Dustin said:
haha glad i wasent the only one that did that...:histerica

I perfer the sound of a sealed box as well. if its built to the correct size thats recommended for the speaker they sound great.

1 12" hits way harder than I really need but perfect for the bronco
2 JBL 8s in my Jeep first ones.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.