Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I went to the Bridgeport OHV, I just about ripped off the factory tcase skid. I have to say, Ford did a decent job, because it did protect the tcase. I started this with 8" by 44" piece of A36 hot rolled 1/4" plate. I found someone on here that had built one similar to mine.

1. I used a flat bar that I bent to get the dimensions I wanted and to use as a form. I tried using math to decide my lengths and bends, but my head nearly exploded.

2. Then I measured my 8" plate using my form and used my grinder with a cut off wheel to score the plate. Once I had my plate bent to match my form, I welded in the scored lines.

3. Then I started welding in rectangle and triangle pieces at an eyeballed 45 degrees. I ground all my outside welds for a smooth appearance. I ground down a few of the welds on the inside where I thought water or mud would pool. The grinding proved to be too much for my HF grinder, so I got a new Ryobi that has a rotating handle. :rockon

4. I used some 1x1x1/8" angle for a little bracing on the long bend to flat on the passenger side.

5. I started a 2 inch hole with my hole saw, but used the torch in the end. Then sand, prime, and paint.

It worked out great. I have a finger's clearance between the plate and any thing under there. As an added bonus, my high dollar high flow cat is well protected on the passenger side.

Iput some pics in here for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

·
Bronco Snob
2,321 Posts
.....I tried using math to decide my lengths and bends, but my head nearly exploded.
:histerica I very much understand this.

Turned out great...well, other than the color... Looks like you ran over gumby :toothless
Nice job :thumbup

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bolts are 3/8", a little bigger than the factory ones that were strong enough to bend the crap out of my frame.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty proud of my 1st attempt at fabbing something up. Discovered today how cheap powder coat is, so when I get my sliders done, I'll take all 3 pieces to get them done in neon green. Then I plan on front and rear bumpers that will also be done in same neon green. I thinm it'll look good when I bed line the truck in black.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohhhhh, the curse words I really want to say! That looks like total crap! I'm gonna have to photoshop my color idea to see if my idea will look better. I saw a 4 door f250 done similar to what I was wanting and it looked great. This has me rethinking my idea bad. Thanks for posting this.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Skid plate look's great nice job. Wish I had fab skills to do that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no fab skills. I just cutmetal and weld it in until it looks like what I want. I've been looking around for who I got the idea from, but no luck yet. I'd like to give credit where it's due.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hehe, I modified my stock one with a rock on the edge of a breakover. Truck came to a dead stop! When I backed up off it, my cousin started laughing his tail off and pointing under the truck. He says "You have a spoiler now!" On the way home, it was scooping up so much air, my shifter boot popped up. Fun days.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bolts are 3/8", a little bigger than the factory ones that were strong enough to bend the crap out of my frame.
This would be the only thing I'd be worried about. I had a similar problem with my old Explorer. Bent factory skid, made stronger skid, bent frame rails. The angles on the end of the skid where the flats that bolt to the frame and the c channel frame are now the weak point. I would recommend taking a couple pieces of plate and boxing the frame above where the skid plate mounts to prevent the channel from folding under. Otherwise it is a great looking skid plate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Proud of ya. You have something goin for ya. You got off your butt and at least made an attempt to do something on your own. A ot of people go down town and hire someone to do their stuff and then say "Look at my Bronco". Not big on the color but the thing belongs to you. Myself on my newly acquired rig, I wont be doing any off road that will require any skid plates. Hauling the grandkids around to hunt and back and forth to the duck blind and an occasional sticking it in 4x4 when it snows, but I do like to see the fab work and the renderings of mechanical artist. Keep up the fun stuff. If you're happy then i'm happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts