Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night I was headed to my house to meet up with a friend, when a drunk driver blew a stop sign doing about 40mph (speed limit 25). I smashed the brakes but it was too late. T-boned his truck, sent it into a skid and then it hit the curb and rolled. Guy had the audacity to ask me not to call the cops (which were then promptly called), by myself and several neighboring houses. Anyways here are some pictures of the carnage. Very graphic, not for the faint of Bronco heart.

Local body shop quoted $5700 worth of damage, frame cracked up front, steering is trashed, crushed everything back. Body mount came off, moved the front clip about 4 inches over and 3 inches back. Blah.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
man that sucks..just glad you weren't hurt...

sounds like they're going to total it...

·
Registered
859 Posts
RIP sweet Bronco prince....

It sounds like you came out of it unharmed, which is always a good thing. Hopefully you can get his insurance to pay out and find a sweet replacement if it comes to that.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Just be glad that you weren't driving a Kia.

Fight that insurance company for everything you can & never accept their first offer!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
Shit like this is why I still keep full coverage......

Glad you're ok. Hopefully you get what you deserve from the insurance company.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Another insurance tip. Go ahead and start finding listings of similar bronco's for sale, and make a list of why your bronco was in better condition with better options etc, and that is why it is worth more than the listings you find. LOL Believe me this works. I had them give me a lowball offer on a truck before, so I went hunting to see what their offer could buy me, printed all of the ads of the obviously inferior trucks. Then I found comparable ads for trucks for sale, and used that to argue my case.

·
I see Broncos
6,011 Posts
on the surface it doesn't look that bad, front clip, ttb arm, radius arm and bracket. But if the frames cracked and likely offset it's probably not worth it. Regardless, keep the truck. At the minimum you could sell parts or use your drivetrain components to resurrect a Bronco with your current drivetrain. Worse comes to worse you could do a frame-swap. Depends on how far you want to get into the project.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I wouldn't expect much from the insurance company, although we put these trucks on a pedestal they are still 20+ year nothing special vehicles in the eyes of insurance companies.
I don't mean to sound like a dick but you can talk to the insurance company till you are blue but there is nothing special bout your truck, its even got the body rot going on.
You really don't have the leverage to "hold out" with an insurance company.
Just glad you and your passengers are ok!

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
I wouldn't expect much from the insurance company, although we put these trucks on a pedestal they are still 20+ year nothing special vehicles in the eyes of insurance companies.
I don't mean to sound like a dick but you can talk to the insurance company till you are blue but there is nothing special bout your truck, its even got the body rot going on.
You really don't have the leverage to "hold out" with an insurance company.
Just glad you and your passengers are ok!
Everything that doesn't have a 60k+ price tag is a nothing special vehicle to insurance companies.At the end of the day though I can gaurentee that whatever they are willing to pay out won't be near enough to buy another Bronco in the same condition.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Everything that doesn't have a 60k+ price tag is a nothing special vehicle to insurance companies.At the end of the day though I can gaurentee that whatever they are willing to pay out won't be near enough to buy another Bronco in the same condition.
Thats because they will pay out what its actually worth on the car market, not the "I love my Bronco and its awesome" market.
If you want to recover what your car/truck is worth to YOU then you need to buy the additional insurance, if you can't afford it then well you'll have to settle for 1000.00 for "your" special zillion dollar Bronco.
Insurance companies always seem to be the villan because people dont a) read the fine print or b) insure it for what they have in it. Just because you dump 20k into it doesn't make it worth 20k

·
Registered
446 Posts
Guess he couldn't "dodge" the Bronco. :histerica

What an a-hole, glad your okay! :thumbup

Sorry about the rig.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm doing good mostly outside of my neck bothering me a little bit, no pain just discomfort. Book says it's worth a little over $2000, but I've been doing some shopping and anything remotely close to this that doesn't have 200k on it is asking roughly $3500 (at least in my area, 4 hours each way). SE Iowa

Don't let the body rot fool you, that was my next project fixing the rear fenders and tailgate. Interior was immaculate, adult driven, 160k but all highway miles, lots of new underneath parts and all new rear suspension & shocks. Ran and drove awesome.

I only had liability so my insurance said "You're on your own, here's their phone number". Called and left a message yesterday with the person who is handling the claim on their end, and still haven't received a call back from them. Several people have told me not to accept their first offer and fight tooth and nail for what it would cost to replace the vehicle.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm doing good mostly outside of my neck bothering me a little bit, no pain just discomfort. Book says it's worth a little over $2000, but I've been doing some shopping and anything remotely close to this that doesn't have 200k on it is asking roughly $3500 (at least in my area, 4 hours each way). SE Iowa

Don't let the body rot fool you, that was my next project fixing the rear fenders and tailgate. Interior was immaculate, adult driven, 160k but all highway miles, lots of new underneath parts and all new rear suspension & shocks. Ran and drove awesome.

I only had liability so my insurance said "You're on your own, here's their phone number". Called and left a message yesterday with the person who is handling the claim on their end, and still haven't received a call back from them. Several people have told me not to accept their first offer and fight tooth and nail for what it would cost to replace the vehicle.

Thanks everyone!
Whatever you do be careful if they try to buy it off. If they deem that it's cheaper to payoff the vehicle it usually will end up with a rebuilt title which makes it worthless.

·
I see Broncos
6,011 Posts
lots of new underneath parts and all new rear suspension & shocks.

Thanks everyone!
Receipts gather every receipt you can for the parts and labor if you didn't do it yourself.

As for "Buying back" your truck with a salvage title. I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like the truck is toast anyway. Again, your best bet would be to use it as parts for your next Bronco.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts