Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First piece of glass ever broken on any of my vehicles.....

Check it out..............http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9790&s=32597

The tailgate helper spring pressed against the window when I let the tailgate down and shattered the window.

Anyone else had any problems with the little mounting bracket breaking off inside their tailgate??

·
Registered
319 Posts
lol, mine doesnt have a back window, my buddy has broken out his 86's as well, he did his while he was driving though. Sorry to here about your luck, im thinking about lexan or w/e that stuff is

·
Registered
135 Posts
Buck The Bronco said:
First piece of glass ever broken on any of my vehicles.....

Check it out..............http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9790&s=32597

The tailgate helper spring pressed against the window when I let the tailgate down and shattered the window.

Anyone else had any problems with the little mounting bracket breaking off inside their tailgate??

Mine Broke. I was not sure what had happened and then I found this.

My fix

More photos on super ford link in Sig

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup...thats the exact same thing that happened to mine

I think I'm just gonna leave the spring out...that way my muskles get bigger!!!!:muscle071 from lifting that heavy tail gate up and down all the time

And, I don't know if I would want the u-bolt sticking up through there, they would probley be something I would rip my ass open on

·
Registered
135 Posts
Buck The Bronco said:
And, I don't know if I would want the u-bolt sticking up through there, they would probley be something I would rip my ass open on
I thought the same thing but i wanted to fix it. I put that u bold on almost two years and have never hit it yet. If you have the liner for the tail gate its right on the edge of it so you never hit it. I will try and take a pic.

but either way the tail gate is not that heavy with out it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Had that happen to me while I was doing community service at my church. Just kinda stupid thing. Had that bar cut with a torch, since I don't think you can put a new one in. Thing didn't help much anyway, and that $250 deductible wasn't worth its help. Wanted to just get a soft top, but dad had already ordered the glass and dealt with the stuff. I think I could've gotten a factory tinted one, at least I think that's what the guy said. Or at least with out the heater wires going across, since the connector comes off all the time anyway. Looks kinda wierd compared to the original one.

You may also want to check your radiator tube coming from the passenger's side of the radiator, on the top. The tensioner (or whatever) pulley rubs against that. Just fix whatever crap that happens to most people before it happens to you.

I've taken that stupid tail gate apart so many times to fix it. With the tire rack I have a bunch of problems if I slam it too hard. But I figure I got the rack for $35 from a local guy, so that was nice. :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
The bracket that held the "torsion bar" on mine broke off of the side and the exact same thing happend before I owned it...I know because of all the glass in the bottom of the old tailgate and the broken bracket.;)

When we installed my new tailgate we did not even attempt to take the torsion bar out of the old and install in the new..

Does it make the tailgate MUCH lighter...cause it is heavy as all get out now! I have two layers of Dynamat and it is coated in Durabak inside and out so it is heavier than normal...it would be nice if it was lighter.

Is is worth the time to reinstall the torsion bar and bracket?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to have to push the window up and down with my hands because my mottor was broken, then one day I shut it and it just shattered. Then it started pooring rain.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Torsion bar

I just replaced my tailgate. The torsion bar on the old one was broken since I got the truck 3 years ago. I got new brackets and a new torsion bar and installed them in the new tailgate. It is a pleasure to close the gate now! I figured since the gate and the brackets are brand new, I will probably get rid of the truck before they rust out again.

·
Registered
523 Posts
new convert said:
I just replaced my tailgate. The torsion bar on the old one was broken since I got the truck 3 years ago. I got new brackets and a new torsion bar and installed them in the new tailgate. It is a pleasure to close the gate now! I figured since the gate and the brackets are brand new, I will probably get rid of the truck before they rust out again.
Where did you get your new torsion bar from? I think I'm going to get all new bracket/parts and do this. My GF will drive the Bronco sometimes and if she needs to use the tailgate she won't be able to otherwise...thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Torsion bar

I got the brackets from JBG, and the torsion bar from the dealer. It ended up to be $80 for the bar. Now I see that JBG has a torsion bar ("new item"), for $70. I don't know what the shipping would add, but it would probably equal the dealer price. I'm happy I spent the money as it closes easily now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts