Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to swap in a Solid D44 into my bronco. So I'll post pictures to keep you all updated on the progress.

Just a few pics of the broncos Evolution since I bought it.

Spring 2000 Couple days after I bought the bronco.

Spring 2001 - Got a 4" lift and 35x12.5 Cooper STTs

Spring 2002 - I decided to put a 6" lift, and mini spool and Winch

Spring 2003 - I put a new motor in.

Summer 2003 - I flipped the Steering rods to the top of the knuckles and also did a Shackle flip(brackets from sky manufacturing.)

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok Solid axle swap.

Started out with a '77 Dana 44.

Cleaned it up and got all that crap off it.

Painted everythign Red.

Bought a Gleason Torsen Locker(From Ed and Norther)

I got some Radius arm Extentions and put them on (Bought from Bent and Twisted. And had Kurt weld them on)

Almost finished - Ended up having to get new Hubs, Rotors, and axle shafts. Waiting on Rock guard from Northern, and need to pick up some new Warn premium hubs or some kinda flanges like the D60s have..

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Finally got the new Warn premium hubs, tie rods and Diff cover on.. Have the 6" coils, bushings and track bar on order. Going to order new drag link next week.

Update picture on the build up.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
Nice! What gear ratio? and what did you use to clean up the housing?

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running 4.56 in it.

Didn't use anything special to clean the axle up. Just a wire wheel on a grinder.. Took care of it in about 45 mins.. Then I pained it with duplicolor rocker panel spray, then with duplicolor Ford Red.. Thats why ya gotta wear sunglasses to look at it:)

·
nolongeraregistereduser
656 Posts
Lookin good. I got my D44 also, I'm at the cleaning up stage. Then comes a total rebuild and regear. Hoping I can pull that off myself. Shops cost too much. Gonna try anyhow. Probably going to finish the cleaning this weekend, as well as a new oil pan gasket going in the truck, then next weekend start installing the overhaul kit and gears. Then, start getting parts as I can afford it. Almost enough saved up though:) Good luck and keep the pics comin!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Looks good, now you can build mine. lol When do you plan on putting it under the truck? I have an excercise coming up from the 28-7 I think. If you do it before or after I can help you out. Just let me know.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,204 Posts
Sweet...I'm freaking jealous, you're a ways ahead of me on your SAS..I still havn't even gotten the axle painted yet...Guess I need to get a move on it. :thumbup :thumbup

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
But I thought the TTB was plenty?

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Keith... :twak :lowblow

I just didn't like the way it was driving truck was all over the road. It gets alittle old when you've been out wheelin for 10 hours get on the highway and your hand hurt cause your holding on to the steering wheel so hard.

Anyways. I just wanted somthing that I didnt' have to worry about ujoints as much it. My TTB was about to the max flex I could get from it. SO I decided to do the swap.

Slim. Bring it over will hammer that axle out in a couple hours.. Oh I'm digging the bronco out this weekend I'm not going to waste this heatwave we got going here:) Never thought 32 degrees would be so warm Actually had to turn the heat off in my truck thismorning..

·
In Front of Jopes
3,581 Posts
Bronco85 said:

I just didn't like the way it was driving truck was all over the road. It gets alittle old when you've been out wheelin for 10 hours get on the highway and your hand hurt cause your holding on to the steering wheel so hard.
Im having the same problem with my 96, I gotta hold both hands on the steering wheel, and its really tight around curves, BJs check out fine, the shop says.

So am I having a problem with the TTB?
I do have a HD-44 through.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Bronco85 said:

Anyways. I just wanted somthing that I didnt' have to worry about ujoints as much it. My TTB was about to the max flex I could get from it. SO I decided to do the swap.
Well I'm just pointing out that you were always talking trash about me bashing TTB............saying its' fine and people shouldn't listen to me.

No one needs to listen to me, TTB will prove to everyone how much it sucks all on it's own. Apparently this is what happened in your case.

Hope your swap goes well, you'll love it.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keith_L said:
Well I'm just pointing out that you were always talking trash about me bashing TTB............saying its' fine and people shouldn't listen to me.

No one needs to listen to me, TTB will prove to everyone how much it sucks all on it's own. Apparently this is what happened in your case.

Hope your swap goes well, you'll love it.

Well I've always said to wheel what ya got and find out if you like it before you change it also. There are alot of people that Go straight to Solid axle(Slim comes to mind) before they even wheel a TTB. I have for 3 years now and just got tired of how it handles. There's not many mods out there for a TTB that make it worth wild to build like you know. Basiclly I spent the last 3 years trying to decide if I really want to swap or not. And decided the pros way outway the cons in this case.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
just a few words here on the radius arms.
You should plate them in like this

or something similar. Not necessary, but makes them bend much less on the road, firming up the ride nicely. especially if you are going to run those extensions since there will be added leverage.

Also, Bill (chvyboat) is running similar extensions (but with heims) and ran a brace along the top of the arm/extension to help eliminate bending/

Just a few thoughts since the arms are off and you are already working on em.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,204 Posts
Damon what did you plate those with?? 1/4 inch, looks like you welded it to the top and bottom.

·
Registered
744 Posts
yea, if you plan on doing any real rock crawling and pushing your flex you WILL bend your radius arms. I did,DBlue351 Dave Blue did, and Mark Harris, Welndmn did.

When Dave and I did it we both broke drive shafts. Dave broke his tranny linkage, and track bar mount also. So It is a cheap and excellent upgrade.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in alaska We dont' have real rocks:) Well not like you guys know of in Rubicon and Moab..

We may see 1 or 2 rocks worthy of even needing to think twice on on a trail:(

1 - 20 of 131 Posts