Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching this for a long time, and have decided that i will not piece things together so much like others have done. I prefer the "easy"way, not the " spend money-break stuff-spend more- achieve nothing" way.

I want a D44, mild off road, mild trail use, 35's are the largest I'm gonna go. I don't drive fast out on the trails, nor am I the first one to drive into an area, so the D44 seemed the best option.

I looked for 3 months for my axle, which was only in the 76-77 F100.
The reason being
Single piston disc brakes, YES the TTB calibers fit on this with no issue, but I have only found one of these trucks completely intact after driving hours and searching high and low, my neighbor says" you mean like the 76 out there in the back" I ran( yes i ran) back there and low and behold a 76 F100

Long story short, I got the truck for free, and got to use the neighbors backhoe for free too to drag the truck to the barn.

I pulled everything from the coil buckets, to the radius arm mounts( cutting torch let me do it in 1 hour, and i didnt burn anything other than the rivets)

I stripped the axle, found out it had a blown pinion bearing and the pinion had chewed the carrier pretty bad. This doesnt matter though, Im putting the carrier from the TTB in this housing, so I could care less about it.

So, everything is going great, easy as heck, and its not going to cost nearly as much as one might think.

The reason Im telling yall is for 1 simple thing
1976 F100 d44= being able to use your TTB calipers which solves any issue of tracking down the right parts for a swap.

My goal maintenance wise, is simple, I want to be able to buy parts for an 82, , the only thing I have thats truely 1976 are the Hubs, everything else is still the same.

So I got the complete front end, Including the radius am mounts, track bar mount, and coil buckets. The one thing that struck me as odd, was the fact that this truck sat really high, did they make a F100 highboy, it didnt have ram assisted steering, nor did it have the bergfield type joints in the axle, but it sat really high for its age, I though the Highboy was mainly on the 250's

In the one picture, I was wire wheeling a small portion, the priming it with oil based metal primer( I use it on my fences and it was free), ya its red, but its primer, Im gonna paint it black when done with it. I will add more as I go, but being a one man show, I dont take a lot of pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and when i say only in the years 76 77, I meant about already having single piston disc brakes

·
Registered
604 Posts
There is some extra looking bracket on the arms where the lower coil mount goes, what is up with that? And can you give us a clearer, closer shot of it?

That is where the extra lift came from. Does not look like a Ford design, as is an un-reinforced square metal thing. Enough off roading and that will bend over, I'd expect.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,809 Posts
Yep, looks like someone cobbled together a cheap lift for it, via blocks underneath the lower coil mount. You should definitely get rid of that and build it right (safe).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I pulled those off after it hit me that it was just 3/8 wall square tube, it would probably hold up fine if it were secured better, but they are off. Today I picked up new seals and I'm waiting on needle bearings for the spindles. I found the cause of the linking failure, it turns out that when the bearings were changed, the mechanic didn't pull out all of the old loose rollers that had become lodged in the pinion vent, blocking oil flow, I now have a bag of metal fragments, and looked for the bearing that dropped the rollers, couldn't find it and came to this conclusion. I picked up some 2x6 steel and some 1/2 plate( free from the neighbor again ). And other than waiting on the bearings, I'm set, those square tubes are in the trash bucket.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
no such thing as a f100 high boy it was 4x4 f250s only up until 77.5

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one thing I'm not sure on, is how much this swap will lift my bronco, using the stock f100 springs as a reference point, since that is what I would have to buy springs for. Im not looking for a lot if any, 2 inches would be fine, meaning if I got the 4 inch spring it would total 6 inches

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya that's what I thought, I was a little confused when I saw the truck, which was used for hunting until 2002, too bad its gone to waste I mean it had a 390, 4 spd manual, single cab short bed, it was a nice truck, but I wasn't sure about the highboy because all of the ones I've seen were 250's. But either way it had exactly what I was looking for, and aside from the gears being shot, its a sweet deal for being free. I do my own gears so there's no issue with having that done, and most of my on fab. Any shock recomendations, most of what I have bought in the past are for my is300's, so that's no help. I was gonna go cheap and put some bilsteins on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I mean, I bought the truck from the original owner down the road from me,400 bucks, and put about 500 into it, it drives great down the highway and thrpugh the trails, I am now doing a SAS swap that averages around 2 grand, for around 500, and I have weekly offers of 2 to 2.5 grand every week, just because its complete, with the service records, and owners manual, so either way, I'm coming out on top. I just want to keep it simple, simple has a reputation to work the best. My neighbor on the other hand, is the coolest old man I know, I work on his tractors, and fourwheelers for free, cuz its my form of entertainment, a hobby I guess, and if I need a bolt, or some steel, I'm welcome to it, pretty good system I think.

·
Registered
181 Posts
looking good. I just did this swap last weekend. it is fairly easy though I went 9inches up. Be sure to order the springs for your axle not your bronco (shipping is spensive for that wrong click) You can check my build thread (colonel mustard) I used the ford arms and brackets slightly modified. Seems to have worked well thus far. you are welcome to hit me up with questions

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So tonight I pulled the TTB out of the bronco, it was pretty easy imo. Since I don't want to go as high as you bluelabel, I'm putting the stock f100 springs in, not to ride on but to see where I am height wise, so I can order the right springs, and the springs for the rear. I don't like lift blocks, just my .02. The po had already changed the radius ARM bushings, so my brackets were fairly easy to take out, no rivets, that and my coil buckets are bolted, not riveted like ony grandfathers 82 f100 ,this is turning out to be easier than I thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got the axle into a mocked up position. I only wiegh 145 lbs, I don't have very much behind me when it comes to slingin these axles around, but I got it done, whew those things outweigh me by at least 100 lbs, but the TTB is laying out on the flops while the straight is on jaclstands under the truck

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Now's about the time your going to hit som speed bumps...good luck, feel free to look over my progress and see what you could do differently/better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got the TTB completely disassembled , so I can pull my gears, and I'm about done for the day, I have finals, I'm putting new floors in the bedrooms and I'm doing my SAS, pretty swamped, but hardwork pays off. And not really gonna hit a speedbump as I take any project as a worst case scenario to avoid being upset or put off by the amount of work involved

·
Banned
676 Posts
Well I got the axle into a mocked up position. I only wiegh 145 lbs, I don't have very much behind me when it comes to slingin these axles around, but I got it done, whew those things outweigh me by at least 100 lbs, but the TTB is laying out on the flops while the straight is on jaclstands under the truck
Awesome build! Love the cheap/broke approach. Getting a lot more done at your age than I was. No offense, but 145lbs? Are you 12? or a chick? Either one it's cool, just wondering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts