Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would do a little better thread on my soft top conversion?
I started out with a used soft topper for a F150 pick up with 6.5' bed that I found on craigslist for $50, its used, but it was brand new, the guy never installed it on a truck and all the parts were there, it was sitting in his basement for years, but it was stored good and there is no mold or rott , it still had that NEW TOP SMELL!! ;)

it is made out of some good material and very well made. it came from this company here http://www.Softopper.com they usally sell for $500 - $600 bucks :thumbup
I had to do some shortening on the frame and the first hoop but I made it work

for now I am useing the cab in-closure to hold the front of it, I got lucky and the snap flap for the first hoop landed in the perfect spot to add snaps to the inside to secure it and hold it tight

heres the rest of it

I am going to find some magnet strips to hold the back flap, it came with velcro but I am not sticking that to my paint. that would look stupid when the top is off :duh

later on I will change it so I can use it without the in-closure but for now this will work great, winter is coming soon and it will keep the eliments out of the back and I can fold it out of the way if I want to, not bad for $50 bucks. :thumbup .Later...Rick

·
Registered
598 Posts
Looks nice.. .I have still have to call them to see if they'll make one like you suggested... The fabric and construction look good..

-

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Looks great. With some windows on the side and a little tweaking it looks better than a STC top.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I am thinking about taking some out of that second hoop back to take that hump out, I can not take anymore out out of the first one to allow it to come down any more or it will sit right in the back window, I tried taking the first hoop out completely but it needs the tension it gets by sitting up against the cab to work right, I could have taken it to a shop to do it right but for now all it cost me was what I paid for it, $50, so no windows for now either, I am going to be combining my hard top with a truck topper I have so I can illiminate the electric window over the winter time so this will work till then

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was doing the happy dance when I found out it was mine:chili:ibtl and sure I'll ship that right out to ya ;) :smilie_slap

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot :thumbup its nice when something actually works like you think it will
I just went for it and tried not to over think it

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Couldna turned out better, Rick. Im really curious how you will mount it to the cab without the encloser. Did you have to restitch the seams after you cut out the excess?

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Couldna turned out better, Rick. Im really curious how you will mount it to the cab without the encloser. Did you have to restitch the seams after you cut out the excess?
Get an old top and cut away all except the hoop of the front part of the top.

Nice job Rick.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Double H.
No I didn't have to stitch anything yet, I only cut what was hanging inside and I didn't get into any of the existing stitching, the side panel I just folded back, as for attaching it without the in-closure, I think I am going to look for another hard top to cut up and make the piece on top that holds it?, I got plans for the one I have.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts