Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
@klh95bronco and @TimmyD - y'all did a great job on refinishing the toppers on your Broncos!
I'm not confident enough in my abilities to try something like that. My '89 XLT (had) has a black topper. It was faded out almost white when I took it to a local new car dealer's shop. They removed the top and prepared it for refinishing similar to what you show in your pictures. They painted it black as was the original, and cost me $300.00. It looked very good and I was proud of it for about four months, then it started to bubble and then the bubbles ruptured, exposing the white fiberglass. Returned it to the shop to ask questions about what happened. They couldn't answer the questions but contacted the supplier of the paint. They wound up refinishing the top again at no cost. About four months later did the same thing. They did some work on my F150 at no cost to cover the ill-fated work on the Bronco. Still leaves me with a topper that needs to be repainted.
I like what I see and read about your toppers.
I am going to print your comments about the Emron paint and give it to the repair shop. Maybe they can get things to work out right the third time!
TB
sounds like they didnt do good prep work and tried to blame it on the paint...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It has been a year and 7 months and my topper still looks like it did when I first completed the job. This includes off-roading where I had branches scrape the top on the trail. I am very satisfied with the Ermon paint.

Make sure who ever repaints your topper strips all of the old paint off yours before painting with the Emron. If they don't, you will have more problems.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
229 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
229 Posts
It has been a year and 7 months and my topper still looks like it did when I first completed the job. This includes off-roading where I had branches scrape the top on the trail. I am very satisfied with the Ermon paint.

Make sure who ever repaints your topper strips all of the old paint off yours before painting with the Emron. If they don't, you will have more problems.
I will be sure to remind them. You would think they would know and be careful about that.
Thanks.
TB

·
Registered
'96 XLT, 5.0, E4OD, Electric 4X4, Automatic Hubs
293 Posts
Topper picture 13, 14, 15 & 16

The finished painted topper.

I searched the forums about repainting toppers to help me decide what the best paint to use would be. I did not come up with a definitive answer on what paint to use.

I went to Car Quest for some paint for my dash and while I was there I asked them about paint for my topper. I asked them for a flat paint that would be going on fiberglass and exposed to the elements and UV rays. They suggested Emron 3.5 Reduced gloss polyurethane topcoat. It is paint that uses an activator and it is tintable to any color desired. It is commonly used on heavy equipment and is very durable. Sound just like what we would need for Bronco toppers. It is on the expensive side, but if I can paint my top and it last for a good ten years I figure it would be worth the extra cost.

I bought 5 pints of paint just to make sure I had enough to do the job. I didn’t want to mix batches of paint. After putting on two coats of paint I ended up with enough left to do another complete topper. 3 pints would be more than enough. I used a paint roller instead of my sprayer. I was afraid the paint would set up in my sprayer and ruin it.

I think it turned out pretty good.
Very Nice! Is there a thread for pulling the side windows? How was the rubber going back in? In good enough condition? Is that color they had on a chart at for the paint at Car Quest?

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I found this video on Youtube showing the removal of a jeep side window and re-installation with a rope. I did mine this way, but I didn't use any soapy water. I also needed the help of my wife for re-installation but it is fairly simple once you understand the concept.

My old rubber seal was in good condition so I reused it. LMC wants 80+ dollars per side for new seals...

I compared a color chip at Car quest to match the Emron paint. It was pretty much dead on for the original color. I couldn't tell a difference.

·
Super Moderator
27,721 Posts
Very Nice! Is there a thread for pulling the side windows? How was the rubber going back in? In good enough condition? Is that color they had on a chart at for the paint at Car Quest?
Yo Joel
EDITED;
Section 01-11: Glass, Frames and Mechanisms
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual​
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Body Side Window Assembly, Fixed Glass, Bronco
An assistant outside the vehicle is necessary when removing or replacing the quarter window glass.

Removal

1. From inside vehicle start at one corner and work across the top of the glass, pulling the quarter window rear weatherstrip down and pushing the glass and quarter window rear weatherstrip outward until assistant can grasp the quarter window glass and quarter window rear weatherstrip and lift them from the glass opening.
  1. Remove the quarter window rear weatherstrip from the quarter window glass.
Installation

1. Clean the quarter window rear weatherstrip with cleaning solvent to remove all old sealer.
  1. Clean the quarter window glass mounting area. Check the flange for wavy areas, and repair as necessary.
  1. Install the quarter window rear weatherstrip on the quarter window glass.
  1. Install a draw cord all around the quarter window rear weatherstrip in the flange crevice. Let the draw cord overlap at the bottom center approximately 457mm (18 inches) and tape the ends of the draw cord to the inside of the quarter window glass. Apply Rubber Lubricant D9AZ-19583-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1B6-A to the weatherstrip lip.
  1. Have an assistant position the quarter window glass and weatherstrip assembly in the window opening and apply hand pressure on the quarter window glass from the outside.
  1. From inside, draw the lip of the quarter window rear weatherstrip over the window opening lower flange with a draw cord. Alternate from side to side, moving approximately 305mm (12 inches) at a time, until the window is in place.
  1. Water test the installation for leaks, and seal with additional Liquid Butyl Sealer C9AZ-19554-B or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESB-M4G162-A, if necessary.
  1. Remove excess sealer.

Quarter Window Glass, Bronco

ItemPart NumberDescription
129622Cover
229622Cover
329726Quarter Window Glass
442430Back Window Upper Garnish Moulding
529904Quarter Window Rear Weatherstrip

Reactions: JoelS

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks KLH. Our topper is not currently that color so I don't have anything to compare to. Hopefully when I stop in to Carquest I'll be able to pick it out from the chart.

·
Registered
293 Posts

What other options would you suggest for removing all the old paint other than sandblasting? When I was using my 40 degree pressure nozzle tip on the top during washing I was blasting off some mold/algae and it would bring it down to white in what appears to be the base surface as the red paint was disappearing.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What other options would you suggest for removing all the old paint other than sandblasting? When I was using my 40 degree pressure nozzle tip on the top during washing I was blasting off some mold/algae and it would bring it down to white in what appears to be the base surface as the red paint was disappearing.
First off, my goal was not to remove the old paint. My goal was to clean up the topper in order to paint it. I wanted the dirt, algae and any loose or deteriorated paint removed. Any good paint was left on. I just wanted a stable solid surface to hold the new paint.

You can always use sandpaper or a sanding tool but you sand off the texture using those items. You could also scrub it with a wire brush but you also risk knocking off the texture.

I went with the sandblasting because you can leave the texture on with it. I was for fortunate enough to have access to a sandblaster so things worked out for me.

·
Registered
1986 XLT 302efi AOD 4x4 manual hubs
3 Posts
Topper picture 13, 14, 15 & 16

The finished painted topper.

I searched the forums about repainting toppers to help me decide what the best paint to use would be. I did not come up with a definitive answer on what paint to use.

I went to Car Quest for some paint for my dash and while I was there I asked them about paint for my topper. I asked them for a flat paint that would be going on fiberglass and exposed to the elements and UV rays. They suggested Emron 3.5 Reduced gloss polyurethane topcoat. It is paint that uses an activator and it is tintable to any color desired. It is commonly used on heavy equipment and is very durable. Sound just like what we would need for Bronco toppers. It is on the expensive side, but if I can paint my top and it last for a good ten years I figure it would be worth the extra cost.

I bought 5 pints of paint just to make sure I had enough to do the job. I didn’t want to mix batches of paint. After putting on two coats of paint I ended up with enough left to do another complete topper. 3 pints would be more than enough. I used a paint roller instead of my sprayer. I was afraid the paint would set up in my sprayer and ruin it.

I think it turned out pretty good.
Looks great! So how did R&R of the glass and gasket go? I heard they can be a pain.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks great! So how did R&R of the glass and gasket go? I heard they can be a pain.
It wasn't that bad using the rope method of installation. I had my wife inside the truck pulling on the rope while I pressed the window in from the outside of the truck. Takes a little elbow grease to do it but it isn't a terrible job...

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, its been 2 and a half years since I painted my topper with the Emron paint I listed above. I can report the paint has fared really well. I park the truck outside so it is always out in the weather and the sun so I am happy with the performance the paint has produced. (y)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts