Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one problem after another, over and over again...

So here is my new/next problem. My stater is being PITA.

Under 6months ago, my truck left me stranded at a gas station when the starter went out. The symptoms were the truck started fine when the stater motor was cooled temp. Such as, letting is sit over night, and the starter temp was at, say 80*. But when the truck got up to temp. 160*-200* the starter would act as the battery was dead.

We replaced the battery, the battery cables, new ground and + wires. still failed, so we took it to a shop and the mechanic told us it was the starter. We got a new starter and it runs great again.

Now just yesterday, my starter started doing it again (New starter). So i started with the same thing last time, New battery, checked the battery wires (good connection, no tears, no corrosion). Also replaced the starter solenoid. Still nothing. I'm going out to get a starter with a lifetime warranty, but the question i have, is what could cause 2 starters to go out so soon? Is there something i need to check to prevent the next one of going out? I have looked at the way the starter works, and it seems as there aren't very many ways for the starter to fail. No sensors, no plugs, just battery, solenoid, starter and wires.

Also, i don't take my truck mudding often. I've been a few times at the most. And by mudding, i mean trail crawling with mud holes in the trails.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
can you check the voltage at the starter while cranking when it is dragging? What size battery cable are you running? you should have at least 10.5 volts while cranking at the starter.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Do you have stock headers or aftermarket headers? one possibility is the headers are heating up alot hotter then they should and that can cause damage to the starter. does the starter solenoid click when you go to start it? does the starter sound like its engaging and just not turning the engine over?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i agree with the getting hot thing i have headers on my 79 and i had to put a heat sheild cause i dint want to wrap the headers i just formed cut up beer cans and riged a shield for it, seemed to work pretty good but you can try that or wrap your headers if thats the problem

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
x3, its called heat soak.
i use a wrap on the header, a wrap on the starter, and a shield
what solved it was a pmgr mini starter. ryan sells a good one

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
X4, heat kills.

·
Registered
753 Posts
X5.

It's definitely "heat soak" that's nuking your starters. Fabricate a heat shield, find someone who makes one for a Ford truck (Summit probably does) or wrap the starter, as others have suggested.

You might also (as was also suggested) buy a high torque mini starter, though the stock ones are pretty small already.
Good luck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Careful wrapping the headers or starter. The wrapping absobes oil and liquids, it may catch fire if it gets too soaked and too hot! Stick with heat shields for a daily driver.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Local parts house can test starter, alternators, and batterys for you free of charge. Troubleshoot your issues before you start throwing money at your rig.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My cougar kept eating srarters until I wrapped the headers. Buy the lifetime warranty part for good measure. Be careful some places like autobone will only warranty parts twice at most. Cheap re-man units go out sometimes without aggeravating circumstances. Let alone 500HP Cleveland and Houston summers. A heat shield may help. I liked the wraps until my headers rusted apart under them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts