Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So just as the title says,

I was driving normal and when it came time for the truck to shift into third my engine began to free rev as if it was between gears and then it CLUNKED! back into second. I let off the throttle immediately and let it cruise in second. about 2 mins later I tried to accel and it did it again. I then pulled in a parking lot and put it in park. Checked my trans fluid and it was full, cherry red, and not burnt smelling. I got back in the truck and drove normally.....it has been shifting like butter ever sense (3 days ago)

I went to talk to a trans shop and he explained to me that all e4OD's of my year are basically ticking time bombs because of the way the center support in the intermediate clutch was made.

In this diagram it is #115
http://www.eatmyshifts.com/E4OD_4R100_Parts_Blow_Up_files/E4OD_41.gif

The shaft that rides in side gets out of line over time.
The fix is to install a new center support that has a bearing and then.... problem solved.

Two questions:
1) Do you think this would remedy my problem
2) is this a fix that i should do regardless because it is a "ticking time bomb"

stats:
1994 Bronco
5.0 w/ 120,000
all stock

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a trans cooler and fan will help hold me off from doing a trans swap

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
While the tranny is down, you'd be wise to also add a Transgo Tugger Shift Kit. Less than $200 and worth every cent. I would also add an external tranny filter system kit from Summit Racing for $35.

Pap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts