Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT Custom. Born November 13, 1978 (5 days after me) custom ordered from Ford by the original owner(I am the second owner). I picked it up years ago and it is in bad shape. My wife finally approved the rebuild process. It will consist of a complete rebuild and upgrade of every system on it. I am planning to convert it to a powerstroke(want to keep it Ford). I am looking for ideas and recommendation for the Bronco community.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
I have a 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT Custom. Born November 13, 1978 (5 days after me) custom ordered from Ford by the original owner(I am the second owner). I picked it up years ago and it is in bad shape. My wife finally approved the rebuild process. It will consist of a complete rebuild and upgrade of every system on it. I am planning to convert it to a powerstroke(want to keep it Ford). I am looking for ideas and recommendation for the Bronco community.
you have a birthday bronco - that's awesome. i thought about trying to find a bronco built in the month and year i was born but figured, being a november baby myself, that it would be the next model year by then.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Here's my .02 after doing a frame off restoration. If you are doing it because you love the truck that's great! With a true frame off resto you will lucky to get half of the money back and nothing for your time if you decide to sell it. I did my 79 F150 supercab 4x4 and intended it to pull the camper and boat and carry the kids. By the time I got done I had well over $36K in the truck and I didn't drive it much because of all of the time that goes into detailing it. I just couldn't stand to see it dirty. I think that truck is what developed my OCD. It's a constant battle trying to keep everything looking like it was just restored. I'd spend 40 hours every spring doing detailing like polishing the stainless exhaust and mufflers etc etc. I'm just warning you that this is a known side effect when doing a full frame off resto. Now, I am happy with a good solid and sounding drive train and a decent looking body on the bronco. I am not afraid to take it out in the winter and plow snow or head into the woods to get a trailer load of wood. Good luck and enjoy the Bronco regardless of which way you go.

Swamp

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I'm four years into a frame off on my 76 Bronco and I did a five year frame on restoration on my 78 Bronco. I have a little bit of advice to offer so I will basically echo what Swamp said. If the Bronco runs and drives, then drive it and restore one thing at a time. If it is not safe to drive or doesn't run, then get it running and driving and tackle one thing at a time. It's very fun to drive a Bronco. It is not very fun to work on a Bronco for years and pump tons of money into it, and still have no joy of cruising it with the top off.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Yeah I took mine completely apart and finally after about 7 years got it back on the road. Moved 3 times in the process. :banghead To do it over again I would fix things as I continued to drive it. Enjoy it while you work on it! Just my 2 cents. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Nice!!. The value of these things are starting to get crazy.
To think not that many years ago I got 3 of them for $900......

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 2 -78 Bronco I have been working on ALONGTIME. Since 1990 off and on. The one I spent and done the most work on.. I was getting ready to take it for a test drive in Novemer 2019. When I got a engine fire. I saved the Bronco . Almost cost me my life. Ended up in the burn center in Huntington,W.Va. Now my hands aren,t still healed and hopefull in two months they will be. I,ll hopefully be able to replace and fix what burnt. .Then I,ll fire it up and run the hell out of it. I still have the interior and outside to do.,but I,m hoping to get some use out of it. I,ve replaced the fuel sysyte,coolingsyste,brake system,motor,cluth,ring gear,pressure plate,tires,brake system and many many other parts----includeing drive shat--yokes. Good luck and be careful.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
754 Posts
My 84 that I got for $200 with 3 flat tires, no doors, hard top or windshield , rolled into a tree on the passenger side.. drove onto a flatbed tow truck is my pride and joy, I’m on the fence about a frame off for all the above.... I love driving it but it has issues. What ever you do research is your #1 tool and as I told my kids ... there is no greater reward then knowing YOU did all the work to put it at the standards to which YOU want. In other words..... don’t give a shiza what anybody else thinks, it’s your truck do what YOU want to it........... just take lots of pictures and show us how it’s going. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
i wonder what happened to 'ol jughead. maybe his wife changed her mind.

he joined, made one post, and never came back...
I hope she didn,t. Maybe he couldn,t get signed back in. It took me along time and I don,t see some of the people like SEABRONC on hear anymore. Hope he,s ok .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts