Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I'm not a big Jeep guy but my wife has been wanting a Wrangler for a while. I finally gave in and let her get one. I found a great deal on a 2001 sport with the 4.0 and 3 spd auto. It was an accident free one owner Jeep with no rot at all. After the Rausch Creek trip, I decided to put working on the bronco on hold for a while so I would have time to help the wife out. She wants to build it up for the woods so I decided to make a build thread. I'm not a member of any Jeep forums and don't want to be. Please don't hate me for all the jeep pics. :toothless

Here she is the day we brought her home.

The wife getting dirty. We had to replace the sway bar links. I didn't get many pictures because I was working on the bronco while she was doing this.

It came with both tops new but the soft top got lost sometime in the past 14 years. So it was time for a black soft top.

I decided to buy her tires for her birthday, even though it's no where near ready for them to go on. I went with 37x13.5x17 bias pitbull rockers. Yes I know the stock axles won't handle them. I got plans for that.

And I just ordered 17x9 vision rage wheels.

Future plans are to pull the trans and build it up a little bit. Also add a breather and cooler to it. The front axle we will beef up and the rear I'm planning on an explorer 8.8 swap with 4.88 gears and lockers. For the lift we are leaning towards the 6" rough country long arm kit. I have a buddy thats a dealer for rough country and I'll get his prices. We're also looking at smittybilt tube fenders and winch bumper. Some led lights and a full paint job. Hopefully all of that by next summer.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Congrats, clean rig and a nice platform to build a good off roader.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
:goodfinge the Cheap! More pics of the Wifey in action ;) Stop spending all that money on chit for the Heap and get her the chest extensions :rockon :twotu:

Where are your priorities man!!! Becoming very concerned with you Harry :twak

Anyway, have fun building your 4x4 family, teamwork gettin'er done :thumbup:beer

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats, clean rig and a nice platform to build a good off roader.
Thanks man. :thumbup

:goodfinge the Cheap! More pics of the Wifey in action ;) Stop spending all that money on chit for the Heap and get her the chest extensions :rockon :twotu:

Where are your priorities man!!! Becoming very concerned with you Harry :twak

Anyway, have fun building your 4x4 family, teamwork gettin'er done :thumbup:beer
Haha. She got them back in April. :twak:goodfinge Can't really tell in those pics though plus she didn't go super huge.

It'll be a slow process but there will be plenty of pics over time.

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would stay away from RC, I know people who have worn out there joints in a few months driving on the street. You can clear 37's with less lift and some high line fenders.
I hear you on that and I've read a lot of reviews. Some good, some bad. A lot of good ones from people who have the kit and a lot of bad one from people who know somebody that knows somebody that has it. There were also a few bad from people with the kit.

Like you said, it seems like the joints are and issue. Others complaints were sagging springs and the shocks are not up to par. I decided I'm going to go as planned with it because I could get that kit for around a grand through my buddy. Shocks aren't hard to upgrade and if there is a problem with the springs, I could upgrade or get spacers down the road. If there an issue with joints, they could also be upgraded down the road. With all that, I might end up spending an extra thousand and I'll still be about a thousand less then the 'good' kits.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
:twotu: Nice Jeep. May as well buy a header for it when you get the money. They are notorious to crack at the collecter pipe where you can't see it, on the motor side. I am satisfied with my Banks torque tube for my 4 banger.

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:twotu: Nice Jeep. May as well buy a header for it when you get the money. They are notorious to crack at the collecter pipe where you can't see it, on the motor side. I am satisfied with my Banks torque tube for my 4 banger.
Thanks for the info.:thumbup Like I said I'm not a Jeep guy and don't know much about them. I'm learning about it as I go. Any info you guys give me is much appreciated.

We ordered a bikini top. Had to go all American! (I think I need a bigger driveway.)

And I got the wheels mounted and balanced. The shop I took them to is local to where I work and was recommended to me by a few friends. They used bead balancing and said that would be the best way to balnce the bias ply rockers. I'm very happy with the way this tire and wheel combination looks.

I ordered the lift the other day. We went as planned with the RC 6" long arm kit. Along with that, I ordered a driveshaft and slip yoke eliminator. The price I got it all for through my buddy, I couldn't pass it up.

I also bought a 50" led light with windshield mounting brackets and round led lights for the front bumper. Just waiting on the bracket to come in to install it.

Next up is to find an 8.8 then order gears, lockers, steering and truss kits. After that is the tube fenders, a new bumper then off to paint.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nice going man. Good way to earn brownie points lol I didn't know you could get 3 speed auto that late in a Jeep. I thought they were all overdrive auto by the end of the 90's. But it'll be sweet man. If it weren't for finding my bronco, I'd have a wrangler myself. Keep up the progress, I love good build, regardless of the truck.

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice going man. Good way to earn brownie points lol I didn't know you could get 3 speed auto that late in a Jeep. I thought they were all overdrive auto by the end of the 90's. But it'll be sweet man. If it weren't for finding my bronco, I'd have a wrangler myself. Keep up the progress, I love good build, regardless of the truck.
Thanks brother. :beer I didn't know they were a 3 spd either. I think it was 03 or 04 they came with a 4 spd. I knew nothing about Jeeps before this. If it was mine I would've gone with a manual but the wife wanted auto. I will be adding a cooler to it and I'm going to have to pull it to add a breather.

So we decided to stay with the Dana 35 in the rear for now. I'm going to put 4.88's in it but leave it open. Starting to get low on funds and I'll build an 8.8 over the winter to swap in. Hopefully it'll be ready by the time the 35 grenades from pushing the 37's.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Thanks brother. :beer I didn't know they were a 3 spd either. I think it was 03 or 04 they came with a 4 spd...
The 4spd auto came out in '03 and is a steaming POS.

It was a front drive minivan trans that was converted to rear drive and attached to a transfer case. 42RLE Transmission Issues

You got the decent auto :thumbup

If you ever decide you want an OD auto, swap in the AW4 from a Cherokee.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I dropped the thermostat 10 degrees, and the radiator cap 3 psi's to keep my radiator longer than 2 years. It boosted my radiator's life to 10 years.

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 4spd auto came out in '03 and is a steaming POS.

It was a front drive minivan trans that was converted to rear drive and attached to a transfer case. 42RLE Transmission Issues

You got the decent auto :thumbup

If you ever decide you want an OD auto, swap in the AW4 from a Cherokee.
Thanks for the info.:thumbup

Is that a pig head on her wrist?
It's a pink sugar skull.

I dropped the thermostat 10 degrees, and the radiator cap 3 psi's to keep my radiator longer than 2 years. It boosted my radiator's life to 10 years.
I have an all aluminum radiator on the way. You can see where it looks like ours was leaking and the previous owner looks like they may have used stop leak in it. It's holding up but I'm replacing it anyway.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I have an all aluminum radiator on the way. You can see where it looks like ours was leaking and the previous owner looks like they may have used stop leak in it. It's holding up but I'm replacing it anyway.
IIRC the parts store guy over here prorates a new 3 core aluminum radiator to some guy in Big Bear every year, because it keeps blowing up every year..... just warning you, what y'all may face, and how I fixed mine. :thumbup J.E.E.P :Just Empty Every Pocket.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts