Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tail get works fine but I do find it very annoying to have to have my keys in the truck just to use it. I want to install a hidden switch to open in close the window with out a key under the rear bumper. Has any one done this? I don't even know were to start.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You can just make the wire to your window switch constantly hot. You need to remove the dash, take to two screws off the backside of the switch and I want to say the wire to cut is blue with a purple stripe, but you need to test it prior to cutting. Then find a wire that is always hot, or if you are really motivated you can run a wire off the battery. Either way, you need to fuse the wire and then attach it to the correct wire behind the dash. THen, you no longer need the key in the ignition to roll the window down from the drivers seat. My rear key switch has never worked so...

·
Registered
105 Posts
i dont even have the keys for my doors + rear key switch... pissin me off...
but we do this to all of our cars, through the fuse box jumping a hot wire with similar amperage to the window switches. every car we have, the power windows work when the car is off. its stupid to have to put the keys in if you forgot to roll up the window when getting out, ect...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Would definitely give you another option to get back in if you locked your keys in. bend a hanger to hit your window controls, may even be easier than the damn slim jim.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
Atari...
http://repairguide.autozone.com/zne...00c152/80/26/2f/90/large/0900c15280262f90.gif
http://repairguide.autozone.com/zne...00c152/80/26/2f/8f/large/0900c15280262f8f.gif

Cool post, Ass;)Sniper! :) Gonna do the same thing you suggested. But I
got the Ford wiring diagrams for my '91 Bronco so didn't have to ask. ;)

Mr. Corn-fused...
My '91 Bronco's door locks just so happen to use the same key as the '90
parts truck! LOL :) What's really cool about that is the parts truck came with
an old wornout original door key (my Bronco didn't). YMMV on the value of
that craziness? ;)

Being the tinkering fool that I am... it's easy for me to take a car-lock apart
and make keys for it or even easier, to take one apart and swap pins around
to make a different key work in it. You game to try your hand at it? :)

Gonna put a dash switch from a '74 C700 into the dash on my Bronco, the
C700's ignition switch's lock cylinder has been re-pinned to use the same key
as the '75 F150 I bought new.

You can do anything when you don't have a friggin time limit! :)
(real or artificial time limits are the killer)

Tinkering fool in AZ and nutty as a fruit cake
ps- While typing all that out got a few texts from a neighbor, my neighbors
know who to contact when they need help with something. LOL :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I liked that idea of having them always live but then we realized that we leave the dogs in the truck and they probably would end up roiling down the window them selves.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Um is there an easy fuse i can jump to for 12v continuous the windows. Reading those diagrams is hurting my head.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dont know much about electrical stuff, but wont the switch, fuse, or something mess up if they get submerged in water being attached to the bumper ? This would be an awsome idea though cause my window doesnt work with the tail gate key and its annoying to have to open the truck turn the key and roll down the window every time i need something from the bed.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
i've always toyed with the idea of putting a rear window switch in the rear cargo area for when i sleep in the truck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Daniel...if you are concerned about water in the switch you can use a marine switch.....switch made for a boat. As for an external switch to the control the window that would not be a problem once you determine the wires coming off the key switch that controls the window now. You can even go as far making it remote control using a vehicle alarm system. Eventually all the windows on my Bronco will be controlled by the alarm.

What you will need to do is determine which wires control the window and how they work. Then using the proper switch, emulate the factory switch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think installing the switch would be that hard now that we have the wiring map. As for the water I'm not to concerned because the risk is the same as when you have tail lights under or anything else for that matter.
I'm thinking i'm going to splice the wires at the location when they run from the truck to the tailgate.
does any one see any troubles with my wiring diagram.
Sorry for the cheep preschooler look.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You do not need the pink wires from your illustration. You will just need a ground to the extra switch. But before that you need to verify the way the original switch work to use the proper switch. The OEM switch is going to either rest on ground, positive, or open. Need to make sure the new switch will replicate that and you wire it so it does.

·
Registered
292 Posts
So if i am reading this right (some one check me on this) If i cut the LB/BK(blue) wire and re-run it to a fuse that is always how (which would be the best) this would give me a tail gate window that is always on thus not needing the key to run it from the inside?

·
2,857 Posts
And where is the link?
The link is right here... ;)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/BroncoDash.jpg

Nothing wrong with the key-lock-cylinder in the damned column,
that a hacksaw and hoof rasp can't fix! ;)

Waiting on fitting the black column cover and cutting it to size etc
(it's gonna be cool!) until after I get the steering wheel and horn
button figured out.

Not a very good picture of the horn button here is it? :/
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/C700dash.jpg

Electric window on the passenger side and manual on the driver's
side just like a Freightliner......VvvvrrrRRRRRRRoooommm

Nutty boy in AZ

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
The link is right here... ;)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/BroncoDash.jpg

Nothing wrong with the key-lock-cylinder in the damned column,
that a hacksaw and hoof rasp can't fix! ;)

Waiting on fitting the black column cover and cutting it to size etc
(it's gonna be cool!) until after I get the steering wheel and horn
button figured out.

Not a very good picture of the horn button here it it? :/
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/C700dash.jpg

Electric window on the passenger side and manual on the driver's
side just like a Freightliner......VvvvrrrRRRRRRRoooommm

Nutty boy in AZ

Ok now you have confused me. I thought this thread was about a back window? I was asking about a link to the thread rdhayward said he created. After a quick search I think the right link is http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183896.

·
2,857 Posts
I thought this thread was about a back window?
Oh, ok. :)

So I uhhh... swapped the widow's power source to a spare fusible link
on the "starter relay" so no key is needed to operate the power windows. :)

{edit}
But I did all the rewiring at the fuse block.
I believe I used the hot wire for the tailgate's defrost circuit.
(can't find my notes on that)

There, is that better? ;)

Butthead in AZ

·
Super Moderator
26,380 Posts
So if i am reading this right (some one check me on this) If i cut the LB/BK(blue) wire and re-run it to a fuse that is always how (which would be the best) this would give me a tail gate window that is always on thus not needing the key to run it from the inside?
Yes, "...run a fused wire from the hot side of the starter relay, 10 gauge or larger into the cab, if you want to bypass the ignition then cut the lite blue/black wire on the dash switch and tie into this hot..."
by Dazed and Confused at FSB

I gave you his direct Hot Link as well as the applicable information, friend.

Hope that make you feel better about how I post information now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts