Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
78 ford f150 4x4

Im in the process of taking all my a/c crap when i came across this black box. i was curious if anyone knows what it is. i chased the wires and they all been cut by the po. thanks alot

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Looks like it may be a sensor/control unit for trailer brakes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure its not the windshield wiper. i looked over the internet and i couldnt find anything on it. i was just curious because it had a plug on it like one for a cb radio but the low speed adj and stuff like on the box had me thinking it was maybe for cruise control. the po cut everything going to it. as i tear apart my truck the more and more i come to dislike him

·
Super Moderator
26,951 Posts
It is an aftermarket cruise control.
yo
x2

Dana Brand aftermarket crusie control module

They also applied labels on it for other makes, such as AMC
Ponyguy wrote elsewhere;
The driveshaft pickup system consisted of two tiny magnets; each one was about an inch long, and about ⅛" square. You placed them 180° apart on the driveshaft, and wrapped a double layer of strapping tape over them, and sealed the end of the tape with a layer of epoxy resin. (Yes, this was how the instructions told me to do it!) The magnetic pickup was mounted to the floor pan, and wires were run up to the control box. There was a mercury switch to mount under the hood which was designed to kill the system's power if the car tipped over in a collision. The throttle control bellows was connected to the intake manifold and the entire throttle control system was operated by engine vacuum. The on-off, set, accelerate and coast functions were part of a switch assembly that replaced the end of the turn signal stalk, or on some cars, the headlight dimmer stalk.
That's about all I can remember off the top of my head... I think this Cruise Control accessory unit was sold through Sears Roebuck, among other stores...
Take a look at this kit I found in the J.C.Whitney on-line catalog. I think it's the exact same one I installed; the control switch is the same, anyway. It's a place to start...

ROSTRA PRECISION CONTROLS ROSTRA GLOBAL GM ELECTRONIC CRUISE CONTROL
$189.99
SKU Number: 1JA 934127 Manufacturer Number: 250-1223G

Improved Operation

◦Set Speed◦Coast/Reduce Speed◦Resume/Accel ◦Tap-Up, 1 MPH per tap ◦Tap-Down, 1 MPH per tap ◦Controlled Resume Rate ◦Closer, More Accurate Control of Set Speed Enhanced Adaptability

◦Works with 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8 Cylinders◦Select ECM, AC Generator, Magnets, or Pulse Sender as Speed Signal Source◦Select Square or Sine Wave Speed Signal Source ◦Quiet Operation Allows more Mounting Locations◦Select Acceleration Rate ◦Select Gain Control◦Select Manual or Automatic Transmission ◦Select Open Circuit or Closed Circuit Engagement SwitchesEnhanced Features

◦Modular Design◦Removable Wiring Harness with Locking Device◦Redesigned Water Sealing◦Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) Compatible◦Cruise Engaged Output (Ground Signal When Engaged)◦Self DiagnosticEasier Installation

◦No Vacuum Required◦Lost Motion built into the cable◦Smaller Module◦Single Unit Mounting◦New Connectors with Positive Contact and Lock◦No Clutch Switch Needed (except Diesel)◦In-Line Fuses are Closer to Module ◦VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) Wire Already in Harness◦Additional Throttle Hardware Included in Kit ◦Compatible with Neutral Safety◦Compatible with Distributorless Ignition Systems ◦Compatible with Direct Fire Ignition Systems

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
It is an aftermarket {---> SPEED! <---} control.
x2! :)

Dana and Ford calls it "speed" GM etc called it "cruise". ;)

I installed one of those things in my '75 F150 back in '76
...and it's still in there working. :) It was on sale at Sears
for $79, made by Dana.

Alvin in AZ
ps- "The driveshaft pickup system consisted of two tiny magnets..."
-Pony Guy
The instructions say to use two magnets but don't do it, just use
one because it works better that way on a pickup, no kidding. :)

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts

Got that off Craig's List for $20 "new in box" a few years ago.
Has a Montgomery Wards price tag on it but can't read the price.

"speed control" danggit. ;) LOL

Alvin in AZ

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Thanks alot guys, i never even knew they even made cruise control in the 70s
Ouch!!

We even had air conditioning and power windows way back then! LOL

Got that off Craig's List for $20 "new in box" a few years ago.
Has a Montgomery Wards price tag on it but can't read the price.

"speed control" danggit. ;) LOL

Alvin in AZ
I installed one on an early Bronco in about 1980. Got it from Sears for around $100. They actually worked pretty well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i would assume there was a/c back then seeing as my truck came with it. i was more talking about an aftermarket cruise control.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wow, way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth......
JK Y'all,

Too bad the PO hacked it all up... I'm with you, I despise my PO...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts