Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier this week that my 1996 Bronco has been making this aweful squeeling whiny noise from the front driverside wheel. A guy that works for my dad, and is a good friend (and had an '89 Bronco for many, many many years), and mechanical was guessing bad hub or bearings. Well, today we take the hub off..Or rather he did and I sat like vulture poised to watch the whole thing, and we found this little...metal piece. It looks like a half moon, is a bit thicker than the other black rings in there, and it looks bent.
These are warn manual locking hubs, btw.
We made a trip to Napa, and this mystery piece does not appear to be in the warn repair kit or the new warn unit.
I *should* have my chilton's guide like a good little girl, but instead I took it out, and its at home in my closet. And Im at work. Without a ride.
Anyways, does anyone have a clue what this nice little metal piece might be? It's..silver, with no holes, looks slighty warped, and is much thicker than the other rings in the hub:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just priced one.....Ford dealership!! OUCH!! $80.00 per side. It comes in a kit with the rest of the inner parts of the hub.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
I just priced one.....Ford dealership!! OUCH!! $80.00 per side. It comes in a kit with the rest of the inner parts of the hub.
Pick a part junkyard. Few bucks and an few minutes of your time. Always grab that kind of stuff when there..

·
Registered
92 Posts
ring it is i would hold that rig till you replace that part dont need parts of your front wheel drive sliding and bumping around.i would closly inspect the opposite side as well for an added measure better safe then sorry when parts fail i check all of that type in the vehicle to be on the safe side but thats just me :thumbup just my thoughts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Junkyard or ask a FSB member for an extra. I had the same thing ($90 at Ford for the whole front assembly), so Sackman sent me his extra for little $$$ + shipping.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Take the other side apart and inspect.Match up the same part from the other side and reshape the first one to match and reinstall.that ring still looks intact and when installed,keeps the wheel bearing adjusting nut from turning like a cotter pin does on a 2WD.Another place that you may find a good used one is at a 4x4 shop.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Take the other side apart and inspect.Match up the same part from the other side and reshape the first one to match and reinstall.that ring still looks intact and when installed,keeps the wheel bearing adjusting nut from turning like a cotter pin does on a 2WD.Another place that you may find a good used one is at a 4x4 shop.
If it's what I think it is (snap / retaining ring), it has nothing to do with the bearings. It instead prevents the axle from going back into the pumpkin.

as long as you don't lock in the hubs, you are in no hurry to fix it.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,976 Posts
time to upgrade to Ward Premiums!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sorry Waltman,it's not the axle shaft snap ring.I've done dozen's of hub packs on 4x4's with auto lock hubs and it is the retainer to keep the wheel bearing nut from turning.
Yes,it may be time to put manual locking hubs on.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
These are warn manual locking hubs, btw.

That piece ISN'T suppose to be in with those hubs. Someone converted it WITHOUT using the conversion kit. That piece is the retaining key to keep the spindal nut for the 3 bolt auto hubs from backing out.

What you need to do is take the spindal nut out, and get a conversion kit from Warn, or go to NAPA and buy part number BK 6301654 (1 side, so you'll need 2)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts