Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Alan..yeah we've checked the cylinders they're all firing and we're guessing now it's either sensor related or something with the EEC. For all of these sensors to have a problem at once would be a stretch. After reading some other posts, it got me thinking that I might have a ground problem. Just one more this to look into. I may take you up on that MAP sensor offer, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
what kinda shape is your wiring harness in? when i pulled my motor out, my harness went in the trash. it had several spots where there were abrasions, and most of it was dry rotted.
since this happened after you went mudding, is it possible you have some connections that got wet?
if you havent yet, take every connection and clean it out. put dielectric grease in all of them. check the plug at the puter, all the sensors, and on the drives fender when they all the harnesses come together.
i dont know if your fix will be this simple, but its easy and probably needs to be done anyway.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If you look through my old threads, you will find one that I had a severe rich condition, almost like it overfueled.

I was having similar symtoms, tons of codes, i did the tune up and other things, and it actully got a LOT better, but still the same overfueling issues. Well after 1000$ in sensors in parts. I bit the bullet and bought a new ECM *the computer* Well, i got that installed, and I managed to drive it through 3 drive cycles so that the new ECM could learn.

That fixed everything, it ran better than ever, everything that was funky before was no long a problem.

Now I didnt mention all my symptoms, if your curious you can look back in my threads, its about a 15 pages long. But the ECM, I believe was around 130 with my discount.

Good luck.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The harness is really good shape, no visible problems any way. It is definitely possible that some of the conditions got wet, but the puzzling part is why it would have taken over a week for them to show up. We're still going through all the sensors and checking them, but cleaning them definitely can't hurt.

what kinda shape is your wiring harness in? when i pulled my motor out, my harness went in the trash. it had several spots where there were abrasions, and most of it was dry rotted.
since this happened after you went mudding, is it possible you have some connections that got wet?
if you havent yet, take every connection and clean it out. put dielectric grease in all of them. check the plug at the puter, all the sensors, and on the drives fender when they all the harnesses come together.
i dont know if your fix will be this simple, but its easy and probably needs to be done anyway.
I'm hoping it's just the EEC, I'm looking for one now to test. If that's all this is that would be great.
If you look through my old threads, you will find one that I had a severe rich condition, almost like it overfueled.

I was having similar symtoms, tons of codes, i did the tune up and other things, and it actully got a LOT better, but still the same overfueling issues. Well after 1000$ in sensors in parts. I bit the bullet and bought a new ECM *the computer* Well, i got that installed, and I managed to drive it through 3 drive cycles so that the new ECM could learn.

That fixed everything, it ran better than ever, everything that was funky before was no long a problem.

Now I didnt mention all my symptoms, if your curious you can look back in my threads, its about a 15 pages long. But the ECM, I believe was around 130 with my discount.

Good luck.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My buddy finally pulled the EEC today, he noticed that there was some water in between the harness connector and the EEC, now he had just cleaned the engine, but obviously water was able to get in there, so it's not a stretch for it to have gotten in there when I went was in the mud several weeks ago. He pulled the top off the EEC, it was dry in there but he said it looked like there were a couple of dark areas where it was burned on the board..

I'm sure the EEC could have easily grounded out from getting wet at the connector, but my question is why would it have run for 2 more weeks before giving me a problem???

So if anyone has an EEC for sale, let me know, otherwise I'm going to need to score one from NAPA. Thanks.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
New EEC was installed yesterday, and my buddy said there was definitely an improvement in the way it was running. However he said it still sounds like the timing is retarded, he's checked the timing and it is 10 btdc with the spout out. Any other suggestions??

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No updates yet, we're going through the rest of the electrical to see if there is a possible shorting issue somewhere.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Latest report, my buddy got finished checking the wiring and grounds, can't find any shorts or grounding problems, but with the new EEC the rig is running like the timing has been retarded. He said the exhaust was actually glowing red once he got it running.

Checked the codes again and it's throwing a Mass Air Flow code when I don't have one, and a MAP code. Tested the MAP and it checks out ok. So now we're thinking this is probably the entirely wrong EEC, so back to the drawing board, we're going to get another EEC.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dang sorry to hear that. I just put new wires and a cap and rotor on mine maybe that well fix it. i didnt have any codes besides the over drive not working. but after i put all that on a got an egr code so checked that it was fine cleaned it and it worked even better. Put it back in and still got an egr code so im going live with it for a while. I hope it doesnt mess anything up

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Update..I've been going back through a ton of old threads looking for a reason why my rig would be on it's 3rd EEC, just doesn't make sense. This was a thread dating from 2006 when I had a similar problem, I completely forgot about this, but the this was when the EEC died the first time:

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/470468

Following that incident, I replaced the EEC with one from Bronco with the same engine and tranny as mine and it's run fine for almost 2 years until now and the EEC took another crap, but I was driving through some deep water and mud so it is possible that caused the problem.

Then I found this TSB on Steve's site, regarding a stumble, miss and hesitation condition. This repair goes into the wiring harness where a wire may be causing an intermittent short, I seriously doubt this is my problem since I'm not getting the 211 code that is usually associated with it.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/470468

I also found several threads referencing the IDM resistor, haven't been able to see any actual pics of where it is or what it looks like, but I'm guessing a problem with that could also potentially be frying my EEC's.

So, after one of the members on the board was kind enough to give me their vin, I was able to track down through the dealer the correct part # for the EEC I need. Turns out it is F2TZ 12A650RC, or F2TF 12A650RB. My question to those that know about the EEC, how would it be possible for my rig to run with the wrong brain for two years??

We're in the process of getting the appropriate EEC and will go from there, at this point this is all it can really be.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
most ford computers are very simular. And because they are so tough, they'll run with problems and faulty circuits.
Once I found a mustang sequntial EFI computer running an engine with a bank fire truck harness once :duh

Thats how good EFI is

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
most ford computers are very simular. And because they are so tough, they'll run with problems and faulty circuits.
Once I found a mustang sequntial EFI computer running an engine with a bank fire truck harness once :duh

Thats how good EFI is
They'll run, but they won't run very well. Is that a correct assumption.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
this might be way off, but what are the specs on your motor? is your cam ground to work with speed density?
The cam I put in was the real mild crane for SD, so I'm pretty certain it's not that, plus I can't see how it would have run for so long and as well as it did if it was a cam issue.

I'm convinced this is an electrical/EEC issue. It doesn't make any sense that it's throwing an MAF sensor code, when my rig doesn't and never had one. Now it's throwing an overdrive code and something else transmission related. I'm anxious to see what will happen when we replace the EEC with the correct one. Also, I got a new EEC test plug from RJM Tech, it looks like somehow the wires on the current one were cut not sure why or how that happened. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What was your trouble code, BTW?
I didn't get the the exact trouble code from my buddy. He said they're still in the scanner, so I can have him pull them off if needed.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.