Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is a real shot in the dark, but I'm at a loss. Ever since I bought this truck, something made of metal jingles when I go over bumps. Big bumps, tiny bumps, and any little cracks in the pavement... a shrill, fast clink,clink,clink! Like a stack of metal washers on a bolt being shaken.

It sounds like it's in the front end, as though it's coming from the front wheels. It's a high pitched noise similar to keys jingling, but even higher pitched.

I spent an hour going through the engine bay and beneath the truck looking for anything loose. Everything I can touch is solid. I replaced the wheel bearings, front brakes, steering rod, transmission fluid, and front shocks a few months ago. It jingled before that work, and it still jingles after.

I'm not even sure that I want to fix it, since it just seems to be the sound this truck likes to make. But I'd like to know what it is. Any idea where to look next?! It's like someone hid some small bells in the frame. Or there's a bolt somewhere with a stack of loose washers on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think my jingles were a little different sounding, but I found my rear axle yoke dust seal was loose. Used some bearing retainer to lock it back down.

That said, I do have a front end “loose” sound too, and also unable to track it down. I may jack up the front end one day and push and pull on anything I can find.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,988 Posts
You ready for the answer?

Reach into your springs. At the bottom there is a washer. If it spins, then the nut is not tight enough.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You ready for the answer?

Reach into your springs. At the bottom there is a washer. If it spins, then the nut is not tight enough.
Haha, BINGO!

I actually think I noticed that when I first had the wheels off then forgot about it.

This Bronco has aftermarket springs about 1" taller than OEM. At a glance, the washers don't seem to do a thing.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,988 Posts
Haha, BINGO!

I actually think I noticed that when I first had the wheels off then forgot about it.

This Bronco has aftermarket springs about 1" taller than OEM. At a glance, the washers don't seem to do a thing.
I knew the answer before even reading the thread..lol Been there, done that!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts