Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any really good spots to do some beach camping along the NC coast or outerbanks? Some place that will still let me do some dune running in the Bronco? I know Ocracoke, N. Myrtle, Hatteras and Emerald Isle were really good, but I'm not sure what their vehicle policies are anymore. I was also thinking about Carolina Backwoods, but that's a little further from the beach than I wanted. I also heard of a spot in the Carolina/Kure Beach area, but dunno the name of the place. Really, I'd like to be able to wake up on the beach every morning if still possible. So if you guys have any info, lemme know. Thanks.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
emerald isle you have to get a permit and its only for certain parts of the year. im pretty sure hatteras and ocracoke are year round driving on the beach not sure if you need a permit. nags head you can drive on some beaches during the summer but i dont think there is camping directly on the beach

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man...I appreciate it. I'm not too worried about the permits...they're usually around 25-40, right? And can usually be bought at a local outfitter. Do you have any spots in particular that are your favorite to camp?

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I am interested too. Subscribing.

thanks too,
tim

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
When you say "dune running" I assume that means you're just driving on the beach and staying the hell away from the dunes, right?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Carolina beach is called "Freeman Park" and the locals call it the north end. It is located at the end (north) of canal drive on carolina beach. Price is $60 (may have already gone to $100) per sason, or $20 a day. In my opinion, it has gotten "rough" out there, and the local PD has put the smack down. There is plently of camping, but I would not venture on it memorial day as there are 5,000 trucks out there. The south end of Kure beach (kure beach park) can be driven on, but only from sun up to sun down. I dont know the price of the pass, but know that you need one. You can also drive on the north end of Topsail Beach, but I dont know if you can camp. Topsail is also very small compared to others. As for Ocracoke, I hope you like to drive 7 hours or take the 3 hour ferry! You can drive all over Ocracoke, and camp, but watch for the signs that say "protected, due not drive". It has been a long time, but Duck and Corolla beaches use to be driveable, and I use to drive all the way into VA. I am not sure if you can still do that though. When do you plan on going?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife and I are thinking about Cape Lookout . I had it highly recommended to me by a coworker but I have no info... I do know that they have 8 person cabins there [running water but no power so a generator may be a good idea ] . Its ferry access only . We went to Hatteras 2 yrs ago ...tourist trap but still cool . Good luck .

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys. As for when am I going, I don't really have a time table yet...but it definitely wouldn't be during a holiday weekend. Right now, I'm just trying to collect info because the girl friend is nagging about going to the beach...and if we go, it'll be my style, not hers to go shopping and stay in a condo. I'd still like it to be fun, but open her up to another world. Anyway, we'll probably be going sometime in June or July. Thanks again for the help guys.

·
3,511 Posts
i think the permit for emerald is like 90 per year but its the most expensive that i know of

·
Registered
389 Posts
As an Outer Banks resident, I can tell you that camping ON the beaches is illegal from the VA line down to Ocracoke. There are several places south of Nags Head (Waves, Rodanthe, Hatteras, Buxton) where you can camp close (within a quarter mile).

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Emerald Isle or Wrightsville are the best in my opinion. I lived right on the beach in Emerald and went to Wrightsville alot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Emerald Isle or Wrightsville are the best in my opinion.
Bud, he asked where to camp and drive on the beach. I agree though, if you want a "view" Mercer's Pier at Wrightsville Beach is the place to be (around 2-4pm after the girls get out of class).

·
3,511 Posts
Bud, he asked where to camp and drive on the beach. I agree though, if you want a "view" Mercer's Pier at Wrightsville Beach is the place to be (around 2-4pm after the girls get out of class).
very very wise words just be careful uncw has a high std rate

·
Registered
37 Posts
carolina beach (freeman park) is def the cooliest place to go camp and fish and drink and pass out or do whatever u want to do.....we go there about 10 times a yr its pretty awesome.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts