Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the laws in NC re: vehicle inspections, emissions, and lifts? I'm formerly from Va and Tn and am missing the south.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Inspections: Once a year by the month. Vehicles 35 years and older are exempt from ANY inspection i.e., they don't need one.
Emissions: Must have all the factory components to be legal. Pre-96 vehicles no longer require the sniffer test, just safety; this does not mean that going catless is legal now....tampering with emissions equipment is still a federal offense, not local/state.
Lift: By law, nothing more than 6" for anything that doesn't go off-road; anything higher requires clearance/letter from the Commissioner of DMV. Police seem rather slack on that law so it appears to be that the sky's the limit.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Move to beautiful Arkansas! No inspections,no emissions, and no lift laws. The only thing you need to worry about is this:No taller than 13'6" and no wider than 102". That's a tractor trailer's measurement for you civilians out there. And middle of the headlights can't be above 54". Suckers!:chili:

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Project Lazarus said:
Emissions: Must have all the factory components to be legal. Pre-96 vehicles no longer require the sniffer test, just safety; this does not mean that going catless is legal now....tampering with emissions equipment is still a federal offense, not local/state.
i'll add that most places now don't even pop the hood on stuff 95-back, they just do a quick safety inspection. But yes, it is stil illegal to modify/remove emissions equipment. Just don't get caught doing it :thumbup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts