Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I was just in the area at Gilmer last weekend and should be heading back there March 1st for the Mega Run!

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Gilmer? It's really dusty, easy to get lost (unless you print the color map - trust me, print the map before you come), the trails are generally pretty tight, and their rating system is pretty unreliable. I like the place, overall I'd give it a 3/5. It's not as nice as Hot Springs, but it's not too shabby either :toothless

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
Gilmer? It's really dusty, easy to get lost (unless you print the color map - trust me, print the map before you come), the trails are generally pretty tight, and their rating system is pretty unreliable. I like the place, overall I'd give it a 3/5. It's not as nice as Hot Springs, but it's not too shabby either :toothless

printing now....:thumbup

It's supposed to be nice this weekend too!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
how was it? I've never been...
I always enjoy Gilmer, but like with everything else, it can always improve. I agree with Hopper, though, that it's not as nice as Hot Springs, but it has the advantage of being much closer than Hot Springs. Another advantage over Hot Springs is that there are numerous campsites throughout the interior of the park for you to camp at, whereas at Hot Springs you can only camp by the entrance.

Most of the trails are wide enough for a fullsize Bronco to fit. HOWEVER, be that as it may, you should expect pin-striping from the surrounding vegetation. Also, erosion from heavy rains have left some of the trails with a more difficult rating than what's listed on the map and trail signs, and a few trails don't have signs and are difficult to follow on the map.

Although the recent rains will keep dust to a minimum, you'll still come home with fine red dirt hidden in most nooks and crannies both inside and outside the vehicle. How that happens, I have no idea!

Either way, you're bound to have fun. Post pics up when y'all get back!

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
I always enjoy Gilmer, but like with everything else, it can always improve. I agree with Hopper, though, that it's not as nice as Hot Springs, but it has the advantage of being much closer than Hot Springs. Another advantage over Hot Springs is that there are numerous campsites throughout the interior of the park for you to camp at, whereas at Hot Springs you can only camp by the entrance.

Most of the trails are wide enough for a fullsize Bronco to fit. HOWEVER, be that as it may, you should expect pin-striping from the surrounding vegetation. Also, erosion from heavy rains have left some of the trails with a more difficult rating than what's listed on the map and trail signs, and a few trails don't have signs and are difficult to follow on the map.

Although the recent rains will keep dust to a minimum, you'll still come home with fine red dirt hidden in most nooks and crannies both inside and outside the vehicle. How that happens, I have no idea!

Either way, you're bound to have fun. Post pics up when y'all get back!

loading up and getting ready to head out now:thumbup

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I live in West, between Waco and Hillsboro, sadly I won't be going to gilmer this year :cry

You guys better take tons of pics, vids, etc. I still have em on my supermotors page from (I think) two years ago? I don't know, all I know is Ed got all four wheels off the ground in his jeep :toothless

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/9982/32864

1 - 20 of 25 Posts