Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for any advice or suggestions on changing out my steering gear box

i purchased a pittman arm puller. how much can i tighten it down before damaging puller or shaft?

should i apply any heat to the pittman arm?

should i strike end of pittman arm puller after applying pressure to it? or would it be easier to just leave pitman arm on gear box shaft and disconnect at steering rod end and replace with new pitman arm?

1996 ford bronco 302 xlt

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
i purchased a pittman arm puller. how much can i tighten it down before damaging puller or shaft?
Until it breaks. ;) You're not going to hurt the pitman arm. Promise.

should i apply any heat to the pittman arm?
Correction: you CAN hurt the pitman arm if you heat it. DO NOT heat it! It's a hardened steel member, and heating it will cause it to lose its temper...and I don't mean in a funny Irish way.

should i strike end of pittman arm puller after applying pressure to it?
:thumbup I usually recommend that people do this after tightening the forcing bolt as much as humanly possible. The whole thing is gonna go BANG! when it decides to yield. It'll probably scare ya, so don't wear boxers you like. Ever have a shotgun go off about 10 feet away? Something like that.

or would it be easier to just leave pitman arm on gear box shaft and disconnect at steering rod end and replace with new pitman arm?
Nah. Pitman arms are surprisingly expensive! I think I priced one out at $60 last time I checked, but it's probably more now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do use to strike the end of the puller because the angle of it causes it to be closed to the axle and cant get anything up in there?

·
Official FSB beer drinker
1,534 Posts
I find that with the cheater bar on a wrnech, the puller seems to spread apart causing it not to get the maximum pull motion. I put a big C-clamp on it once it was snugged and then used the cheater bar. Came right off with about 6ft. of my floor jack handle as my cheater bar.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
what do use to strike the end of the puller because the angle of it causes it to be closed to the axle and cant get anything up in there?
hit the sides of the pitman arm and use a drift. It will break loose.

I'll have to ask my dad if he remembers, but I think I used heat on my pitman arm. Actually, I'm pretty sure I did since all I had was a fork to drive it off.
Still, I have to ask him to be sure, that's if he remembers that is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with the puller installed and tighten down theres not enough room between the bolt head of the puller and the front axle to strike it with a hammer. do you suggest removing steering gearbox with pittman arm still in place and removing pittman arm when whole assembly is off of vehicle? its as tight as i can get it and it still wont pop and i cant tighten it any more what to do?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Impact gun.

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
with the puller installed and tighten down theres not enough room between the bolt head of the puller and the front axle to strike it with a hammer. do you suggest removing steering gearbox with pittman arm still in place and removing pittman arm when whole assembly is off of vehicle? its as tight as i can get it and it still wont pop and i cant tighten it any more what to do?

Put a piece of pipe (Cheater bar) on the end of a wrench or ratchet and put some balls into it it will pop right off! As said it'll be loud and scare the chit out of ya.:histerica. I had to use a 3/4" wrench with a 3 foot bar on mine as I could get a ratchet on it. -Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
from experience, it is easier to pull when its on the truck. i was taking a pitman arm off a junk yard box and i did need quite a bit of leverage to tighten down the puller - and with the box off the truck there was no way i could think of to successfully keep the box from moving while i was tightening the puller. had to bolt it up to the truck first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts