Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah here's your chance to throw your opinion out there only to have me not listen. Just kidding. :)

I am trading in my Dodge Charger on April 1 and I need a vehicle to replace it. I need to have a vehicle that's large enough to carry two car seats, a stroller, three suitcases, and two adults comfortably for 500 mile trips to the outlaws. I'm 6' 3" 240 so I'm not exactly small, and I've had surgery on my left knee which means I've got to find a vehicle that I can stretch out my left leg if I'm going to be driving for any more than an hour. And if it does well in the winter - hey that's a bonus. And it has to drop dead reliable - it must start every time and get me to work and back home without a fuss.

The Charger is fun, has the leg room for me, but the trunk is tiny. The car is large on the outside, small on the inside. And it's not exactly stellar on the PA winter roads!

I've owned an 87 Eddie Bauer, a 91 Eddie Bauer, and currently have an 83 XLT, so I know a lot about the older Broncos. They haven't exactly been reliable, although I drove the 83 to work for a year in DC without any problems. Don't know squat about the 92-96s, other than 96 got mass air.

I'm thinking of a 94-96 Bronco for daily transportation. Of course, if there's another vehicle someone could recommend (besides a Tahoe) please chime in. Love to hear some opinions. Thanks.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
late model 95's also got Mass Air.

I drive a 96 eddie bauer that is fully loaded and it is great. I have full leather so the seats look nice are are real comfortable, the 351 has plenty of power, and the E4OD is nice with the over drive (until it needs to be fixed). I average about 14 MPG combined.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I have a loaded 96 with leather and a 93 eb with cloth and the cloth seems more comfortable. My bro in laws expedition is better on long trips though. my 96 has NEVER broken down other than rusting away. I have a lot of trucks so they often sit for weeks and still start. I garaged the 96 for a year while I replaced gas tank, springs, hangers and rear quarters (I drive on the beach a lot) and it started right up. I do regular maintanance but never replaced anything mechanical other than brakework.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Well depending on how much money you know that your gonna spend on gas already, another bronco might not be good.

mid to late 90's Ford Explorer would be plenty good, you probably already know they get decent gas mileage, and you need lots of room, and that a big cargo area would help you a whole lot.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Well depending on how much money you know that your gonna spend on gas already, another bronco might not be good.

mid to late 90's Ford Explorer would be plenty good, you probably already know they get decent gas mileage, and you need lots of room, and that a big cargo area would help you a whole lot.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
If you're willing to travel to get the truck and spend 6-9k, keep an eye on ebay for a 94-96 and you'll consistently find a few that have less than 70k on them. Since I got my 93 last year I've been noticing that there's still a lot of good examples out there with low mileage that were well taken care of. I think this vehicle was a lot like the old Jeep Grand Wagoneers in that they were bought by a lot of people as extra vehicles for their lake house or for going on trips like you want it for and so there are still low mileage, well taken care of examples kicking around. Grand Wagonneer might be a good choice too, but you'll pay more like 15-25k for a real nice expample.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts