Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I promise I searched. If I missed a thread that answers my question please give me the link (then you can make fun of me :) ).

To start I have a 90 302 in MN. The stock exhaust manifold is cracked. A majority of the system including the Y pipe is very rusted (mn DOT loves to salt the roads in the winter). So something like summit shortys would also require a new Y pipe, etc.

I would like to replace the whole system with some thing on the cheap side, best bang for the buck is key here. Having read a bunch of threads on this I was thinking of a set of full length Hedman heads from Summit and a simple muffler system (someone said the one from JC Whitney for around $180 was good) and then have a muffler shop build the missing Y pipe from the headers.

Key points are no loss in performance (I would like a gain actually) and noise. I do not want this thing to be loud and I especially do not want any droning on the hwy.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Anyone in the twin cities have anything I could come and listen to?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
tim330i said:
I went thought 15 pages with nothing so I gave up. No one addresses full length headers (which is what I want to know about). Everyone talks about shortys. Should I get shortys instead of full length and then have a custom Y pipe made? I really did search but most of it did not seem relevant.

Tim
Really.

Here I narrowed it down for you. Look for posts by someguy called MDA.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/sea...id=30508&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

:thumbup

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my bad...i started from page 29 this time and found much more info at the end of the search.

I like your setup MDA....mind telling me the total?

Tim

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
tim330i said:
I promise I searched. If I missed a thread that answers my question please give me the link (then you can make fun of me :) ).
Thanks,
Tim
Total what?:goodfinge

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
I'd guess total cost.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
250 - 300 for headers.
75 for Flowmaster Muffler
65 for Catco Cat
250 for pipe and labor.

I'll let you add it up.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,860 Posts
bassini also sells a complete kit from the headers back would run ya about a $1000

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can wholeheartedly endorse the Bassani line of exhaust components. I have their complete Street thunder system on my 96 (ceramic headers, high flow Y pipe, and catback). When I mess around with this site some more, I will post pics of my truck, as well as the mods to it.

Rich

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
i had the bassani kit too, cermic headers to the 4" gay crome tip. if you have the flow its awesome, but there are cheaper systems out there

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GearHead said:
i hate my long tube headers. go with shortys.
And then get a new stock Y pipe? I would like to avoid paying 1K for my exhaust system otherwise the bassani kit would be my first choice as everyone has good things to say about it (besides the price).

What is so bad about long headers? Some people say don't get them and then there are people with shorties that say they suck as well. Besides the bassani isn't there a cheaper alternative that most people like?

Tim

·
Registered
24 Posts
blueoval78 said:
headers to the 4" gay crome tip
Gay chrome tip? Its just an exhaust tip. I fail to see the gay aspect of it. You not have good luck with your bassani?

Rich

·
Registered
24 Posts
tim330i said:
And then get a new stock Y pipe? I would like to avoid paying 1K for my exhaust system otherwise the bassani kit would be my first choice as everyone has good things to say about it (besides the price).

What is so bad about long headers? Some people say don't get them and then there are people with shorties that say they suck as well. Besides the bassani isn't there a cheaper alternative that most people like?

Tim
The biggest drawback to running long tubes is the fact that you have to custom fabricate a Y pipe. Plus, I believe there may also be clearance issues with crossmembers, moving parts, etc... but I dont know that for sure. Shorties are certainly the easiest to bolt in. The well designed headers will be a direct bolt in to the stock Y pipe. I believe Bassani is the only manufacturer that offers a high flow Y pipe for our broncos.

Rich

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wheelMA1 said:
The biggest drawback to running long tubes is the fact that you have to custom fabricate a Y pipe. Plus, I believe there may also be clearance issues with crossmembers, moving parts, etc... but I dont know that for sure. Shorties are certainly the easiest to bolt in. The well designed headers will be a direct bolt in to the stock Y pipe. I believe Bassani is the only manufacturer that offers a high flow Y pipe for our broncos.

Rich
The reason I was thinking long headers is because my stock Y pipe is rusted very badly. Now that I think about it the stock Y pipe goes directly into the pre-cat...that is probably not a cheap OE item. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck when taking into consideration that my stock system is basically all gone.

Just pretent that I currently have no exhaust what so ever.

Tim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts